Former Gay Christian Educator Fights Homosexuality Issues at Schools - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2004, 10:26 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:26 PM
SO you believe it is a mental disorder?
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
No I don't, I don't know what to think of it.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
This is pretty sad stats though:

One study says the average lifespan of a homosexual is 42 years; another study says 43 percent of male homosexuals reported having more than 500 partners during their lifetime. For the purposes of this article, I don't want to take the time to dissect the research methods that were used to draw these conclusions. I will only say that, while some of the findings in such studies are true, throwing these numbers around while talking to someone who is homosexual will only reinforce, in their minds, the fact that you have stereotyped them. Can you imagine telling your son or daughter that that heterosexual activity is intrinsically wrong because America has a divorce rate estimated at 43 percent, or because three of every ten women killed in the United States die at the hands of a husband or boyfriend?

From http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/135/22.0.html
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
No I don't, I don't know what to think of it.

Ever think that is just is?

Ever think that it just is the same as heterosexuality is to a straight person?
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
I don't see how anyone can be absolutely sure it's inborne or hereditary, generally speaking. Sure, it's who they're attracted to, but the question I have, is when does this begin? Day 1? 5 years old? 13 years old?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I don't see how anyone can be absolutely sure it's inborne or hereditary, generally speaking. Sure, it's who they're attracted to, but the question I have, is when does this begin? Day 1? 5 years old? 13 years old?
Probably about the same time being heterosexual (I'm assuming you are) began for you. I don't think there's anything intrinsically weird about homosexuality...there are so many differences in each and every person...it's just one of those differences.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


It is not my role as an educator to educate about repent and die, since it mentions that in the originally posted article.
If you read the article again, you will see that he doesn't preach repent or die, he speaks out against that approach.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


Probably about the same time being heterosexual (I'm assuming you are) began for you. I don't think there's anything intrinsically weird about homosexuality...there are so many differences in each and every person...it's just one of those differences.
Yes yes, but out of 46 chromosomes, what's the ratio of passing a "gay chromosome?"
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
If you read the article again, you will see that he doesn't preach repent or die, he speaks out against that approach.

Ummmmm.......

[Q]Thompson said, “We speak about the importance of ‘Repent or die’ and that kind of thing,” [/Q]

These are his words.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Yes yes, but out of 46 chromosomes, what's the ratio of passing a "gay chromosome?"
I don't think there is a "gay" chromosome, just as there isn't a "straight" one. There are chromosomes which determine gender, but not what one does with his or her...umm...parts.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Let's back up a little...

--------------------------------------------------

Thompson said it is more common for Christians to address homosexuality as sin and only emphasize repentance instead of deeply looking into the actual struggles that gay and lesbian youth are facing and reaching out to help change their sexual orientation.

Thompson said, “We speak about the importance of ‘Repent or die’ and that kind of thing,” but he said even though Christian community opposes the homosexual lifestyle, it is time for the church to acknowledge and combat the “legitimate struggles being faced by gay and lesbian youth.”

According to Thompson, the booklet, which is the first publication from Inqueery, offers an unbiased look at research on finding “gay gene” and examines a number of theories about the development of sexual orientation. The booklet also discuses the potential of change for homosexual students who wish to change and at the same time it encourages treating homosexuals and ex-homosexuals with respect.

--------------------------------------------------

He's basically saying, let's take a more loving approach to those who struggle with these feelings that aren't accepted by all members of society. He even said banning gay marriage is not the answer. His message is, let's cut the crap, and respect their individuality.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Staying out of this little discussion here and just going to give a to Dreadsox-sorry to hear that about your friend . May he rest in peace.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 12-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 11:26 PM
I am sorry about your friend, too.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 12-08-2004, 05:57 AM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,685
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
This is pretty sad stats though:

One study says the average lifespan of a homosexual is 42 years; another study says 43 percent of male homosexuals reported having more than 500 partners during their lifetime. For the purposes of this article, I don't want to take the time to dissect the research methods that were used to draw these conclusions. I will only say that, while some of the findings in such studies are true, throwing these numbers around while talking to someone who is homosexual will only reinforce, in their minds, the fact that you have stereotyped them. Can you imagine telling your son or daughter that that heterosexual activity is intrinsically wrong because America has a divorce rate estimated at 43 percent, or because three of every ten women killed in the United States die at the hands of a husband or boyfriend?

From http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/135/22.0.html
First off I wouldn't use a Christian organization as your source for these types of numbers. We know where they stand, I'd look for something a little more unbiased and maybe one that's known for scientific study.

With that being said yes their lifespans are probably a lot shorter. It's a fact that stress takes many years off of your life. Living a life where the majority tell you you're wrong, having to hide your identity, not being able to settle down with the one you love in the comforts of a recognized union my life would be a lot shorter as well.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 AM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,685
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I do see that it's very difficult for anyone to battle homosexual feelings, but I do think it can be overcome, if they fight their struggles extremely hard.
Why should they battle them? Just because someone interpretted the Bible a certain way for you a long time ago? You still haven't answered the question of could you overcome your sexuality?
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com