Former Gay Christian Educator Fights Homosexuality Issues at Schools - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2004, 10:26 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:26 PM
SO you believe it is a mental disorder?

Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:26 PM
No I don't, I don't know what to think of it.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This is pretty sad stats though:

One study says the average lifespan of a homosexual is 42 years; another study says 43 percent of male homosexuals reported having more than 500 partners during their lifetime. For the purposes of this article, I don't want to take the time to dissect the research methods that were used to draw these conclusions. I will only say that, while some of the findings in such studies are true, throwing these numbers around while talking to someone who is homosexual will only reinforce, in their minds, the fact that you have stereotyped them. Can you imagine telling your son or daughter that that heterosexual activity is intrinsically wrong because America has a divorce rate estimated at 43 percent, or because three of every ten women killed in the United States die at the hands of a husband or boyfriend?

From http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/135/22.0.html
Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
No I don't, I don't know what to think of it.

Ever think that is just is?

Ever think that it just is the same as heterosexuality is to a straight person?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't see how anyone can be absolutely sure it's inborne or hereditary, generally speaking. Sure, it's who they're attracted to, but the question I have, is when does this begin? Day 1? 5 years old? 13 years old?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can be absolutely sure it's inborne or hereditary, generally speaking. Sure, it's who they're attracted to, but the question I have, is when does this begin? Day 1? 5 years old? 13 years old?
Probably about the same time being heterosexual (I'm assuming you are) began for you. I don't think there's anything intrinsically weird about homosexuality...there are so many differences in each and every person...it's just one of those differences.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

It is not my role as an educator to educate about repent and die, since it mentions that in the originally posted article.
If you read the article again, you will see that he doesn't preach repent or die, he speaks out against that approach.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Probably about the same time being heterosexual (I'm assuming you are) began for you. I don't think there's anything intrinsically weird about homosexuality...there are so many differences in each and every person...it's just one of those differences.
Yes yes, but out of 46 chromosomes, what's the ratio of passing a "gay chromosome?"
Old 12-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
If you read the article again, you will see that he doesn't preach repent or die, he speaks out against that approach.

Ummmmm.......

[Q]Thompson said, “We speak about the importance of ‘Repent or die’ and that kind of thing,” [/Q]

These are his words.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yes yes, but out of 46 chromosomes, what's the ratio of passing a "gay chromosome?"
I don't think there is a "gay" chromosome, just as there isn't a "straight" one. There are chromosomes which determine gender, but not what one does with his or her...umm...parts.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Let's back up a little...

--------------------------------------------------

Thompson said it is more common for Christians to address homosexuality as sin and only emphasize repentance instead of deeply looking into the actual struggles that gay and lesbian youth are facing and reaching out to help change their sexual orientation.

Thompson said, “We speak about the importance of ‘Repent or die’ and that kind of thing,” but he said even though Christian community opposes the homosexual lifestyle, it is time for the church to acknowledge and combat the “legitimate struggles being faced by gay and lesbian youth.”

According to Thompson, the booklet, which is the first publication from Inqueery, offers an unbiased look at research on finding “gay gene” and examines a number of theories about the development of sexual orientation. The booklet also discuses the potential of change for homosexual students who wish to change and at the same time it encourages treating homosexuals and ex-homosexuals with respect.

--------------------------------------------------

He's basically saying, let's take a more loving approach to those who struggle with these feelings that aren't accepted by all members of society. He even said banning gay marriage is not the answer. His message is, let's cut the crap, and respect their individuality.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Staying out of this little discussion here and just going to give a to Dreadsox-sorry to hear that about your friend . May he rest in peace.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I am sorry about your friend, too.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:57 AM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This is pretty sad stats though:

One study says the average lifespan of a homosexual is 42 years; another study says 43 percent of male homosexuals reported having more than 500 partners during their lifetime. For the purposes of this article, I don't want to take the time to dissect the research methods that were used to draw these conclusions. I will only say that, while some of the findings in such studies are true, throwing these numbers around while talking to someone who is homosexual will only reinforce, in their minds, the fact that you have stereotyped them. Can you imagine telling your son or daughter that that heterosexual activity is intrinsically wrong because America has a divorce rate estimated at 43 percent, or because three of every ten women killed in the United States die at the hands of a husband or boyfriend?

From http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/135/22.0.html
First off I wouldn't use a Christian organization as your source for these types of numbers. We know where they stand, I'd look for something a little more unbiased and maybe one that's known for scientific study.

With that being said yes their lifespans are probably a lot shorter. It's a fact that stress takes many years off of your life. Living a life where the majority tell you you're wrong, having to hide your identity, not being able to settle down with the one you love in the comforts of a recognized union my life would be a lot shorter as well.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 AM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I do see that it's very difficult for anyone to battle homosexual feelings, but I do think it can be overcome, if they fight their struggles extremely hard.
Why should they battle them? Just because someone interpretted the Bible a certain way for you a long time ago? You still haven't answered the question of could you overcome your sexuality?