Form 180. What is it? Is it important?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thane

The Fly
I'm new to this forum. My name is thane. I am a polictical novice and know very little in the vast sea of politics.

Recently in conversation one of the participants mentioned a 'form 180' and most candidates sign this as a release before running.

What is it, is it important?
Please help.

thanks,
thane noveau

Popmartijn,

Thank you for the explanation.

Have both candidates signed this form?
Is there a place a voter would be able to find out?

Thane.

The reference is to the military records for Kerry that remain under wraps. Some have had issue with his version of his Vietnam experience.

nbcrusader said:
The reference is to the military records for Kerry that remain under wraps. Some have had issue with his version of his Vietnam experience.

Same with Bush.

I'm not sure Bush's records are under wraps because he has not filed a Form 180. At least, I have not seen a request made that Bush complete this form.

nbcrusader said:
I'm not sure Bush's records are under wraps because he has not filed a Form 180.

if kerry had a sharpie on hand, he wouldn't have to file a form 180 either.

I thought Bush released all of his military records and signed this form.

Am I correct ?

thane noveau

thane said:
I thought Bush released all of his military records and signed this form.

Am I correct ?

thane noveau

No, it seems as if Bush also did not sign this form. From the Washington Times (I think from 18 August 2004):
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040818-121345-3874r.htm

"Senator Kerry's entire military service record is posted on JohnKerry.com. His entire record," said Michael Meehan, adviser for communications to the campaign, at a press conference called to defend Mr. Kerry against recent charges that the former Navy lieutenant didn't deserve some of his war decorations — three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star.

Mr. Meehan, acknowledging that Mr. Kerry has not signed Standard Form 180, said the records have all been laid out nonetheless.
"Has he signed the form?" he asked. "No. What he's signed is his release of privacy to the United States Navy to turn over his entire military record and he's posted it up on his Web site, so the whole world can see his entire military record."

At the White House, press secretary Scott McClellan said he couldn't say specifically whether Mr. Bush signed Standard Form 180, but the president did request and release his own military records in February.
"I don't believe he signed any form, but he did authorize making his military records available publicly," Mr. McClellan said. "We have released all the records, and reporters were allowed to look at his medical records as well."

So apparently both have not signed a Standard Form 180. And both claim that they have released all military records themselves.
From what I read, it seems that by signing a Form 180 you give the Pentagon permission to release your records to everyone who asks for it (in contrast to only you being allowed to request your own records).

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom