Forgiveness - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Forgiveness

(CBS4) BOSTON Five-year-old Kai Leigh sat in the front of the courtroom in her wheelchair and looked directly at the man who had just pleaded guilty Thursday to firing the shot that paralyzed her.

At first, she broke down, crying harder than she ever had since the night nearly three years ago when Anthony Warren, after an argument he and his brother had with her neighbors, fired three rounds at the three-family house where she was sitting on the porch.

After a sip of water and consoling from her mother, Kai spoke.

"What you done to me was wrong," she said to the man seated just 10 feet away. "But I still forgive him."

Warren, 29, of Boston, had been scheduled to go to trial in Suffolk Superior Court on six assault and weapons charges last month but instead pleaded guilty to all charges Thursday.

Prosecutors say Warren, his brother and others had an argument with people who lived on the first floor of the building in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood where Kai lived with her family. They left, then Warren returned around 11 p.m. on July 1, 2003, and fired three rounds at the house.

One of the bullets hit Kai -- then 3 years old -- as she sat on a third-floor porch with an older sister. The bullet shattered her spine, permanently paralyzing her from the chest down.

After his guilty plea, the girl, her mother and two sisters gave statements to the judge, who then sentenced Warren to 13-15 years in prison and five years of probation.

Kai's mother, Tonya David, said she tried to hate Warren but had forgiven him a long time ago.

After Kai spoke, Warren stood in shackles and handcuffs and accepted responsibility.

"I'm sorry," he told her. She said nothing as her mother embraced Warren, and members of their families hugged in the courtroom.

"She has the strength of a trooper," David said, noting that her daughter showed more emotion at the hearing than she ever had. "She has never complained once. She has never cried about being in a wheelchair, not once, not once."

Old 04-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

That was amazing, wasn't it? Great story for Easter as well.

some video here

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...67/detail.html

Old 04-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:34 PM
What if we all tried to do what Kai did - just once a day. What a difference it would make in the world.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
That's amazing. I was fortunate enough to have a great-aunt who also had a phenomenal ability to forgive. It'd be a better world if there were more people like that.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 AM
I read that at work. It took every ounce of me not to start crying.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
Refugee

God bless that little girl.

Forgiveness is such a difficult thing, yet so necessary for everybody's healing.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
War Child

What a remarkable little girl. Letting go of hate or pain is one of the best feelings in the world.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
What if we all tried to do what Kai did - just once a day. What a difference it would make in the world.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Poweful story.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Sometimes forgiveness is very difficult to do. With something that happened in my past I am still working on whether it makes a difference to forgive or not. I just try not to think about the past and let it go at that. I have forgiven in some other instances and honestly it doesn't make me feel much different. I try to be fair and open minded in life as a general rule, giving people the benefit of the doubt, so maybe this is helpful to me.

But sometimes I think when we've been hurt so deeply and so severely, and we have given up so much to either things and people taken away from us or things or people we have chosen to give up or sacrifice in order to move forward, forgiveness just takes time. That's how it is with me.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Sometimes forgiveness is very difficult to do. With something that happened in my past I am still working on whether it makes a difference to forgive or not. I just try not to think about the past and let it go at that. I have forgiven in some other instances and honestly it doesn't make me feel much different. I try to be fair and open minded in life as a general rule, giving people the benefit of the doubt, so maybe this is helpful to me.

But sometimes I think when we've been hurt so deeply and so severely, and we have given up so much to either things and people taken away from us or things or people we have chosen to give up or sacrifice in order to move forward, forgiveness just takes time. That's how it is with me.
I can relate to this statement. I have no easy solution because what you have typed here is what I have been going through for almost 13 years. I have forgiven, but cannot figure out how to continue a relationship with the person. Some would say I have not forgiven, but I have. I just do not know how to move forward.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:34 AM
For me that happens because sometimes when you let go all your anger towards someone, you also let go all the unfulfilled hopes and dreams you had for that relationship, which can really leave you rudderless. Sometimes even the things about them that once gave you pleasure, turn out to have been so bound up with the painful things that you just can't seem to get at the good stuff anymore once you've let the bad stuff go. It would be nice if a rush of warm, affectionate feelings automatically moved in to fill the vacuum whenever we forgive, but at least when you've known someone long and well, it doesn't always work out like that. Which can lead you back into the unfulfilled hopes trap if you're not careful...at least for me it can. When things get like that, I try to aim for simply doing right by that person, no more no less, and if something happens that sparks my enjoyment of them again, I hold onto that memory and try to build on it...and if not, well at least I'm doing the right thing, and even if that feels kind of melancholy, it's still better than being eaten up by anger or hurt. Forgiving you can do on your own; healing a relationship though is really a two-way street.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Forgiving you can do on your own; healing a relationship though is really a two-way street.
Exactly-and for me if the other person is unwilling to make any effort and also to acknowledge the pain and hurt they have caused (I'm talking about deep emotional hurt and abusive stuff, not the average issues with other people), it is really impossible for me to truly forgive. I've tried make some sort of peace with it for my own sake but I just can't have that person/those people in my life. I guess I'm just not the person that this little girl is. Somehow it is much easier to forgive a stranger than it is to forgive your own family and friends, people who are supposed to build you up and not tear you down.

One of the deacons at my church used Kai Leigh's story as the theme for his homily on Good Friday.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Exactly-and for me if the other person is unwilling to make any effort and also to acknowledge the pain and hurt they have caused (I'm talking about deep emotional hurt and abusive stuff, not the average issues with other people), it is really impossible for me to truly forgive. I've tried make some sort of peace with it for my own sake but I just can't have that person/those people in my life.[/Q]

That just about hits where I have been stuck for six years.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Well I've been stuck for much longer than that. I wish I had some answers for you and for myself, I don't. But one thing I do know for sure, you can't beat yourself up over it and let it destroy who you are and who you know that you are. I did that for the longest time and still do it sometimes. That is not good.