For what would you open the Constitution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why sanitize and dehumanize?

Macfistowannabe said:
Does your opinion of Ben Franklin, etc get any higher than that? I sure hope so.

One of my favorite Whore-mongers.

Probably one of our best

His last endeavor was opposing slavery. :up:

Macfistowannabe said:

Would you approve of rewriting the constitution little by little?

Would you want your two U. S. Senators from Ohio to be selected by an Electorial College?

Or you and the good people of Ohio to elect them once every six years the way it is currently done?

deep said:
Would you want your two U. S. Senators from Ohio to be selected by an Electorial College?

Or you and the good people of Ohio to elect them once every six years the way it is currently done?
The president is not "selected by the electoral college" as your playful wordings would suggest. They aren't handpicked by the electoral college. They campaign for each state, doing what they have to do to win them. It may not be 100% fair, but surely a lot fairer than your choice of words brought them out to be.

have ever considered the constitutional mode of election ultimately by the Legislature voting by States as the most dangerous blot in our Constitution, and one which some unlucky chance will some day hit and give us a pope and antipope.

- Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to George Hay, 1823.

a founding father no less.

Se7en said:
the people selected al gore in 2000.
the electoral college selected george w. bush.
None of the recounts were in favor of Al Gore. If you're going to overturn the electoral college, don't wait until after the election.

Macfistowannabe said:

or I will rephrase

Would you want your two U. S. Senators from Ohio to be elected by an Electorial College?

Oh yeah, lets do way with electoral college!

And let the highly populated east coast and west coast

always win the elections.

All you farmers and country folk(in those dumb redneck dirt states) can take a hike.

*we are the world we are the children..."

yeah, yeah, yeah.

The founders of the US were too smart to fall for that bull crap.

No, if Candidate X got more votes than Candidate A, he'd win. The coasts wouldn't necessarily dominate the political landscape at all. If Candidate X can't win the Midwest and the South he's f:censored:d.

the iron horse said:

All you farmers and country folk(in those dumb redneck dirt states) can take a hike.

yeah, yeah, yeah.

Social Studies for Kids

founders did not want west coast to have any votes

only east coast

deep said:
or I will rephrase

Would you want your two U. S. Senators from Ohio to be elected by an Electorial College?

An Electoral College of counties? It wouldn't kill me either way.

first,

i am happy that these elections processes will not kill you:wink:

second, U. S. Senators were selected/ elected by electors until the early 1900s as the U. S. Constitution called for.

I believe the over whelming majority of Americans believe we are better served with statewide general elections for Senators.

The founders’ choice of electors served its purpose at the time.

We should have abolished the E C at the same time.

Yes

This is what has been done and should continue to be done.

verte76 said:
I'd like to abolish the whole thing, and go on strictly the popular vote.

Originally posted by Irvine511
i think it's much easier to say what you wouldn't amend the constitution for than what you would. as a general principle, the constitution should be to preserve rights, not take them away or narrow their focus, and it should never, never be used as a political tool, i.e. flag burning. the constitution must protect the rights of a minority from the tyranny of the majority -- which is why i always find it laughable when politicians talk about letting the people vote on certain cultural issues. i'm sorry, but rights are not to be conferred upon nor taken away from a minority by the majority.

:up: to both of these posts.

Angela

the iron horse said:

yeah, yeah, yeah.

The West Coast and the East Coast were blue. Red won.

Macfistowannabe said:
None of the recounts were in favor of Al Gore. If you're going to overturn the electoral college, don't wait until after the election.

al gore won the popular election by .5 million votes.
to my knowledge, there was no national recount.

why not wait until after the election?
especially when that election further highlights the shortcomings of the college.

Back
Top Bottom