For the people on the streets, this is not liberation but a new colonial oppression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
Of course this one sided but it paints a very different picture of what is happening. I find his questions on the Iraqi cabinent and the use of probably Sadaam people as policeman very possible

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=397925

Just a few excerpts

It's going wrong, faster than anyone could have imagined. The army of "liberation" has already turned into the army of occupation. The Shias are threatening to fight the Americans, to create their own war of "liberation".

At night on every one of the Shia Muslim barricades in Sadr City, there are 14 men with automatic rifles. Even the US Marines in Baghdad are talking of the insults being flung at them. "Go away! Get out of my face!" an American soldier screamed at an Iraqi trying to push towards the wire surrounding an infantry unit in the capital yesterday. I watched the man's face suffuse with rage. "God is Great! God is Great!" the Iraqi retorted.

Marine officers in Baghdad were holding talks yesterday with a Shia militant cleric from Najaf to avert an outbreak of fighting around the holy city. I met the prelate before the negotiations began and he told me that "history is being repeated". He was talking of the British invasion of Iraq in 1917, which ended in disaster for the British.

Everywhere are the signs of collapse. And everywhere the signs that America's promises of "freedom" and "democracy" are not to be honoured.

Why, Iraqis are asking, did the United States allow the entire Iraqi cabinet to escape? And they're right. Not just the Beast of Baghdad and his two sons, Qusay and Uday, but the Vice-President, Taha Yassin Ramadan, the Deputy Prime Minister, Tariq Aziz, Saddam's personal adviser, Dr A K Hashimi, the ministers of defence, health, the economy, trade, even Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the Minister of Information who, long ago, in the days before journalists cosied up to him, was the official who read out the list of executed "brothers" in the purge that followed Saddam's revolution ? relatives of prisoners would dose themselves on valium before each Sahaf appearance.

Were they monsters, these men? Yes. Are they sought by the Americans? No. Are they now working for the Americans? Yes, quite possibly ? indeed some of them may well be in the long line of ex-security thugs who queue every morning outside the Palestine Hotel in the hope of being re-hired by the US Marines' Civil Affairs Unit.

The names of the guards at the Qasimiyeh torture centre in Baghdad are in papers lying on the floor. They were Ahmed Hassan Alawi, Akil Shaheed, Noaman Abbas and Moham-med Fayad. But the Americans haven't bothered to find this out. So Messrs Alawi, Shaheed, Abbas and Fayad are welcome to apply to work for them.

Now here's another question the Iraqis are asking ? and to which I cannot provide an answer. On 8 April, three weeks into the invasion, the Americans dropped four 2,000lb bombs on the Baghdad residential area of Mansur. They claimed they thought Saddam was hiding there. They knew they would kill civilians because it was not, as one Centcom mandarin said, a "risk free venture" (sic). So they dropped their bombs and killed 14 civilians in Mansur, most of them members of a Christian family.

The Americans said they couldn't be sure they had killed Saddam until they could carry out forensic tests at the site. But this turns out to have been a lie. I went there two days ago. Not a single US or British official had bothered to visit the bomb craters. Indeed, when I arrived, there was a putrefying smell and families pulled the remains of a baby from the rubble.

I understand he has a defininte anti-American stance but these questions are legitimate. Why haven't we checked the crater for forensic evidence? why are they continuing to allow arson? and why haven't we stopped the loss of evidence for war crimes? to identify Sadaam secret police?

Knowing the denial at the Pentagon from the top down that there is anything wrong other than a little looting I doubt we will ever find out hte answers.

Re: For the people on the streets, this is not liberation but a new colonial oppression

Scarletwine said:
Of course this one sided Were they monsters, these men? Yes. (1) Are they sought by the Americans? No.

(2)Are they now working for the Americans? Yes, quite possibly ? indeed some of them may well be in the long line of ex-security thugs who queue every morning outside the Palestine Hotel in the hope of being re-hired by the US Marines' Civil Affairs Unit.

(3)The Americans said they couldn't be sure they had killed Saddam until they could carry out forensic tests at the site. But this turns out to have been a lie. I went there two days ago. Not a single US or British official had bothered to visit the bomb craters. Indeed, when I arrived, there was a putrefying smell and families pulled the remains of a baby from the rubble.

I understand he has a defininte anti-American stance but these questions are legitimate. Why haven't we checked the crater for forensic evidence? why are they continuing to allow arson? and why haven't we stopped the loss of evidence for war crimes? to identify Sadaam secret police?

Knowing the denial at the Pentagon from the top down that there is anything wrong other than a little looting I doubt we will ever find out hte answers.

The most true thing in your entire post is your statement:

"Of course this one sided"

I will now address some points:

(1)What makes him think the Americans aren't trying to find the Iraqi "monsters"? Does he have an insider in Special Ops, or the CIA, or in any top secret position? Does he think we would let the media know every jot and tittle of our secret operations?

(2)The "monsters" working for the Americans? Get real. Where is his proof for this ludicrous statement?

(3)So the guy goes there once and all of a sudden he knows that British and US Officials hadn't been looking for evidence? How does he know this?

Good grief, with all the intelligence this guy seems to have, we all ought to just elect him King Of The World.

or maybe..."Blowhard" of the world...

I think he has a lot points. Obviously he is there and has been since before the war, where as you are not.

I'm sure several of Sadaam's people are becoming "policemen" we don't have everyperson's description and weren't part of Sadaam's policeforce's duties to keep the thumbs on the Iraqi people.

What about addressing the issue of the restaurant bombing. Did you even read the whole article or just the bits I copied?

I think Rumsfeld fits the poition of "Blowhard" of the world or better yet :censored:

Back
Top Bottom