For or Against or In Between - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Abortion - I don't like it and it makes me ill when women use it as birth control but I think it should be available without question in the first trimester. Second trimester, only in the case of serious danger to the mother or serious defects with the fetus. I can't agree with late term abortion at all unless the mother's life is in immediate danger.

Gay marriage - I support gay marriage 100%. I think all marriages, straight or gay, should be civil unions with the option of a seperate religious ceremony if the couple so chooses.

Gay adoption - I also support this 100%. Anyone who is willing and able to adopt and has passed all of the legal/psychological requirements should be allowed to do so. The same goes for foster care.

One of the best mothers I've ever had the pleasure of knowing just happened to be raised by a lesbian mom and in her teenage years, her mother's partner. She is now a happily married mother of 3 and despite being around a whole lot of lesbians in her formative years, as far as I can tell, the only thing that rubbed off on her was tolerance

Death penalty - I am a former supporter who is now 100% against it. Its obviously not a deterrent because people still commit horrible crimes on a daily basis. Its more expensive and IMO, it only prolongs the suffering of the victim's family. Waiting for a death sentence that might not be carried out for a decade or more has to be pure torture. And the thought of one innocent person being executed was enough to change my mind on this issue.

Guns - I hate them and don't see why anyone other the law enforcement should have them.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

abortion - pro-choice for early pregnancy. I don't really think we really need to be concerned about 3rd trimester abortion, because I think that it would be exceedingly rare for a women to wait that long to get one unless their life was in danger or the fetus was severly deformed, they aren't likely to wait til their body gets all stretched out and what not if they want an abortion.

Gay Marriage/adoption - For

Death penalty - against, i like the idea of having it for particularly brutal crimes, but I think that it would be a hard thing to define and would really tie up the courts. I don't like the death penatly because I don't think that it deters crime, it isn't applied uniformly by any stretch of the imagination, and I think the courts screw up convictions frequently enough esp if you're poor.

Guns - I think there should be restrictions, registration, etc. I don't really care if people want to have guns, my dad has one in our house.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
Guns - I think there should be restrictions, registration, etc.
Yes. Treat getting a gun as you would getting the opportunity to drive-take training courses, get the license and registration and all that good stuff, and if you have that stuff on you/haven't committed any crimes should you be checked out by some officer or something, you're fine, if you don't/you've committed some crime with your gun, you lose your license and get your gun taken away.

Angela
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Yes. Treat getting a gun as you would getting the opportunity to drive-take training courses, get the license and registration and all that good stuff, and if you have that stuff on you/haven't committed any crimes should you be checked out by some officer or something, you're fine, if you don't/you've committed some crime with your gun, you lose your license and get your gun taken away.

Angela
hey, with all those processes, no one would want to buy any guns! it would take ages and it would be annoying. are you trying to run the gun industry to the ground?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
d) Death penalty - against it, though I understand why people support it. I am against it as a matter of principle; I think people who would warrant a death penalty have committed a most severe crime, and, therefore, death would be too good for them. I prefer severe prison sentences, strict prison conditions and methods of incarceration.
On this I can agree. If you take someone's life, you justly deserve to be isolated from a free society, and only the minimal needs of survival should be provided to you through law abiding tax paying citizens. One meal a day. No TV, no radio, no video games. Books only. No talking.

I know, I'm a strict son of a b*tch.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

......you mean like when people stopped driving cars?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 PM
1) Abortion - Against. Maybe allowable in one or two circumstances. But that's a big maybe.

2) Gay marriage - As far as the government goes, sure. Gay people should definately be able to get a marriage license. At LEAST give them civil unions. There's absolutely NO point in restricting this kind of thing as far as the government's concerned. That being said, I'm somewhat on the fence as far as the religious ceremony in my particular religion (Catholicism) is concerned. I'm leaning towards yes, but not 100% sure yet. But, that's a whole other can of worms.

3) Gay adoption/book banning - Complete bigotry. Of course homosexuals should be able to adopt. I don't see the jackasses' logic at all when it comes to things like this. "OH BUT THE GAYS AREN'T FIT TO RAISE CHILDREN AND THEY'RE GOING TO CORRUPT OUR KIDS AND MAKE THEM GAY AND THEN WE'LL BE LIVING IN A BIG GAY WORLD AND EVERYTHING WILL GO TO HELL AND WE'LL ALL BE DOOMED." Shut up. Just shut the fuck up.

4) Death Penalty - Against. Just brings about more death and doesn't give the people that are convicted any chance to change. And that's if they're even guilty to begin with.

5) Guns - I'm generally for gun ownership. Though, I don't think owning a gun is a right. It's a privilege. And guns should only be accesible to people that have gone through strict registrations, like I believe some people have already noted.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:15 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

1) Abortion - Opposed to it morally, but, in favor of full abortion rights....do not like the government meddling with this, regardless of my personal stance. Always feel odd talking about this due to being a man, but I suppose I shouldn't. I don't know.

2) Gay marriage - yes. Cannot wrap my brain around the fuss or concerns concerning this topic.

3) Gay adoption - See #2.

4) Death penalty - Radically opposed. This is an issue I no longer talk about or debate, I, admittedly, get too fired up about it. I do not hold it against anyone if they are for it, I just get frustrated about how much the concept of sanctioning the death of another human being assaults my inner being.

5) I just wish/hope the rules, regulations and laws regarding this topic were very stringent about not just ownership, but about training and the responsibilities of ownership.

Nothing shocking or thought-provoking regarding my replies, I kept it short, but this is how I feel.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
One meal a day. No TV, no radio, no video games. Books only. No talking.
Hrm, I like your style. I once envisioned a prison system that would have been, in my opinion, just. However, it would never happen, not as long as we have certain concepts of Human Rights. Either way, I don't quite agree with the no talking part - after all, we want to punish them and keep them from society, not drive them insane. Also, I do think we should perhaps give them two meals a day. But no dessert.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Re: For or Against or In Between

Abortion - I used to be very pro-choice about this and then lately I've started changing my opinion. I still believe a woman is entitled to her choice but I really think the only reason for abortion should be if the woman's life is in extreme danger. There are always alternatives like adoption if you really feel you're not ready for motherhood. I could never kill my baby/ foetus though, no matter what the circumstances were.

Gay marriage: Definately for it. I have a few gay friends and they face enough problems from a lot of folk in society already. My friends feel exactly the same way about going on dates, trying to meet a boyfriend/ girlfriend as straight people do. They also want a "perfect" relationship with someone special. I don't really see the problem with them wanting to get married. Every couple should be entitled to their right to legally commit to each other.

Gay adoption - Same as above. Every child should be given the chance to be adopted by 2 loving parents.

Death penalty - Against it. It is more of a punishment to be in jail for the rest of your life.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:00 PM   #26
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:08 PM
1. Pro-Choice in all cases but should not be covered by federal aid.
2. Pro gay marriage and civil unions.
3. Pro capital punishment for murderers and sex offenders.
4. I also believe animals should have the same basic rights and protection under the law as do humans.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #27
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
1. Abortion —*totally against. A baby's heart starts beating about 25 days after conception. Many women don't even know their pregnant then. Days later they have brain waves and soon after that they can feel pain. I've also seen the devastation it creates for a woman. My wife had one before we met.
I presume, then, that you also believe your wife should have gone to jail? Because if abortions are made illegal, that will obviously entail penalties and that's exactly who will pay them--women.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

1. Abortion-Personally, I'm against it. I can't imagine myself ever doing something like that. But I support a woman's right to do it.
2. Gay Marriage-For.
3.Gay Adoption-For.
4. Death Penalty-Against.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

5) I just wish/hope the rules, regulations and laws regarding this topic were very stringent about not just ownership, but about training and the responsibilities of ownership.

Excellent point there. My brother and dad and all my male relatives have owned guns since they were old enough (16). They're sporting guns, for shooting deer, and they all have gone through Michigan hunters safety training. It's like having a vehicle. I mean, we could say we should ban vehicles b/c people use them improperly, but instead, we require drivers training to get a lisence. The same is for these guns. Another thing people who aren't into hunting don't realize is that not only do you have to pass hunters safety and registration for the gun, but you need permits for EVERY animal before you can even use the gun. These permits depend on the sex of the animal, the county you hunt in, etc. I don't like guns and I don't ever need one, but I'm proud of the way my family has been responsible with their sporting guns for generations. They typically hunt with a larger extended family from our chuch who have their own set of stricter rules that apply to their land.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, yolland, we've talked about that and she wouldn't have done it if it was illegal.