? for conservatives. Is Fox News fair and balanced? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:36 AM
? for conservatives. Is Fox News fair and balanced?

Okay, to head off your arguments, I concede CNN is liberal. I concede that the three major networks lean left. MSNBC has identity problems. I also think it was fair to have a cable station that reflected the conservative point of view.

My question is, taken only on its own content and not in relative comparison to other networks, do you think Fox is "fair and balanced.?

Old 04-19-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:36 AM
how on earth is CNN liberal?

Old 04-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how on earth is CNN liberal?
i was wondering the exact same thing.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 AM
It all depends on where you stand.

Liberal in the US is mainstream/conservative in other parts of the world.

I don't watch enough Fox News to validate a "conservative" label, but from what I've seen, it is very "busy".
Old 04-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
Acrobat

I hate watching TV news. I prefer to look online at CNN, Fox, etc. for my news. I think Fox gets its conservative label mainly from its evening hosts, but as far as actual reporting, I have not watched enough to tell if the actual anchors are telling the news from a conservative stanpoint.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Fox news without a doubt targets a conservative audience in a fashion that they wrestle a number of topics that conservatives care about. I find most of my views in alignment with O'Reilly's, although I find the guy to be obnoxious at times. I don't always agree with the analysis that Fox News has a formula of putting a hard right pundit against a soft left pundit. That's not always true. O'Reilly has interviewed many off-center individuals who seem out of touch with most of the voting population.

I'll let Dr. Hark's analysis on a similar thread do most of the talking:

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
To be fair, Fox has mostly opinion shows each hour.

Bill O'Reilly is basically conservative and poses as the everyman, "I'm looking out for you", cut through the spin type of guy. I would be surprised if he didn't vote for Bush.

Hannity and Colmes is a conservative vs. liberal debate show. Hannity is the stronger personality and often sounds like a broken record. Colmes is a weak debater.

Neil Cavuto does a financial news hour but also covers world events and does commentary. He's conservative.

Greta van Susterin is a liberal I think but does a good job of appearing unbiased. She mainly bores us with the events in the latest trial du juor.

Brit Hume does news and discusses the issues with panelists, Charles Krauthammer, Fred Barnes, William Kristol (Conservative)
Mort Kondrake (Moderate Democrat), Ceci Connoly, Maria Liasson, and Juan Williams (Liberal). Brit is conservative.

All of these shows have guests from all political persuasions who argue their points of view. There seems to be a fair mix of opinions.

Overall, Fox News is conservatives attempting to be "fair and balanced" in the guests they bring on and the opinions presented by these guests.

I'm not so sure the old news networks tried very hard to bring opposing points of view to all issues. There is less live debate and more pre produced "nightline" and "60 Minutes" documentaries that are very subtle in their bias.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

If Fox is "fair and balanced", why do they always offer an opinion on a news story when reporting it?I'm not talking about one of their debate shows, I'm talking about when they are just supposed to be reporting it and that's it.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by daygloeyes2
If Fox is "fair and balanced", why do they always offer an opinion on a news story when reporting it?I'm not talking about one of their debate shows, I'm talking about when they are just supposed to be reporting it and that's it.
Can you site an example?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by daygloeyes2

Don't most newscaster do that, especially for large networks?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:36 AM
I think CNN recently probably is SLIGHTLY liberal leaning, possibly in reaction to Fox. I don't think CNN was remotely liberal leaning in the early 90's.

I used to log on to the Fox website frequently in the run up to the Pres election - I found it the best website of the major news channels. There was certainly right wing opinion there, but it was always made clear that this was distinguished from news REPORTING as such.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree with financeguy here. For example, I might randomly flip to CNN and they will talk about firearms and gun control. I can randomly flick to Fox and they will probably have a hot headed conservative attracting most of the attention in a debate with a more reserved, laid back liberal. I find CNN and Fox to be rivals.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, the FOX News website is mostly AP articles, if you notice. However, FOX News is known to change the AP articles to suit their ideological leanings, while making no indication that they made changes. As such, they ride on the credibility of the AP on FOXNews.com.

Melon
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

most news agencies make changes to AP stories... not just Fox.

does Fox lean to the right? of course. i think the analysis by drhark is dead on... they're conservitives trying to be fair and balanced, but at the end of the day, they're still conservitive.

when 90% of the rest of the media leans to the left, i really don't see what the big deal is over one station leaning to the right.

frankly, the only people who seem to have a problem with fox news are liberals. conservitives love it, and based on the ratings, a large majority of the "undecided" vote also watches fox over the other two. their ratings are through the roof... so either liberals don't watch the news, or there's a lot more than just conservitives who watch fox... which frankly doesn't bode well for the democrats in 2008.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

The ratings for FOX News are hardly indicative of the populace at large. Cable, in general, receives much lower ratings than any broadcast network.

Melon
Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:36 AM
I used to work for a newspaper where the Editor of our particular area had to sign off on each story before we'd report it. Some stories he was interested in, others he wasn't. Bias.

Are "all things considered" on NPR? Or only certain things, in a certain light, as deemed news-worthy by a certain editor?