? for conservatives. Is Fox News fair and balanced? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
I used to work for a newspaper where the Editor of our particular area had to sign off on each story before we'd report it. Some stories he was interested in, others he wasn't. Bias.

Are "all things considered" on NPR? Or only certain things, in a certain light, as deemed news-worthy by a certain editor?

yes, of course there's bias. but to label that bias as having a specific political agenda -- that's something completely different.

the difference is this: CNN, and the "liberal" media try with all their might to be "fair and balanced" -- they don't want to be called liberal, and if anything, there's been a massive overcorrection, when there was really no need for correction in the first place. Fox is unabashedly conservative, yet calls itself "fair and balanced."

the result is that dialogue -- if you can even call it that; Fox is mostly about shouting -- has swung hugely to the right. Fox will put on a conservative moderator, and one VERY conservative guest, and one barely left-of-center guest, and say that they're giving you both sides of the argument.

as if real arguments had only two sides, but that's another story ...

Old 04-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:11 PM
I'm used to the fact that Fox leans to the right, and since other stations lean to the left, that's not surprising that one'll lean to the right, nor is it really unfair. No, the only thing that really bothers me about Fox News is that a lot of the people on there, from what I've seen, are just really annoying and not very good at their jobs, at least, I don't think so. And they never let someone finish a freakin' sentence!

Angela

Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
they never let someone finish a freakin' sentence!
True enough, particularly Hannity and O'Reilly follow this characteristic.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I'm used to the fact that Fox leans to the right, and since other stations lean to the left, that's not surprising that one'll lean to the right, nor is it really unfair. No, the only thing that really bothers me about Fox News is that a lot of the people on there, from what I've seen, are just really annoying and not very good at their jobs, at least, I don't think so. And they never let someone finish a freakin' sentence!

Angela

no! no one else leans to the left! only Fox intentionally leans to the right!

i challenge anyone to find an example of "liberal bias" in any of the major networks or CNN/MSNBC that is even anywhere near what goes on at Fox.

and don't come at me with the National Guard documents forgery scandal stuff. that was about ratings, not "gotcha!" journalism, and a single incident does not bias prove.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Re: ? for conservatives. Is Fox News fair and balanced?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
CNN is liberal.
i highly doubt it.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Well Ted Turner is.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #22
The Fly

fox leans to the right to draw corporate sponsorship unlike no other network. they also have a way with finding the most cracked out liberals in america and portraying them as average. their hosts are the fucking mafia in comparison with other networks.

fair and balanced - no
fucked in the head - yes
Old 04-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by earthshell
they also have a way with finding the most cracked out liberals in america and portraying them as average.
One could also say the same thing about the mainstream media's treatment of religious types.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Well Ted Turner is.
He hasn't run CNN in years. It's been owned by Time Warner for a few years now, and Ted Turner has nothing to do with it now.

Melon
Old 04-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
One could also say the same thing about the mainstream media's treatment of religious types.
I'm not inclined to disagree. I hate how mainstream media only seems to choose the most fanatically conservative people to parade around as "Christians." As such, the public-at-large think of Jerry Falwell and the Christian Coalition when they hear "Christian."

Melon
Old 04-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I'm not inclined to disagree. I hate how mainstream media only seems to choose the most fanatically conservative people to parade around as "Christians." As such, the public-at-large think of Jerry Falwell and the Christian Coalition when they hear "Christian."

Melon
I completely agree.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #27
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

CNN, and the "liberal" media try with all their might to be "fair and balanced" --
That's quite false and laughable

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i challenge anyone to find an example of "liberal bias" in any of the major networks or CNN/MSNBC that is even anywhere near what goes on at Fox.

Keith Olberman, Chris Matthews, Ted Koppel, Dan Rather. I'm sure you think Bernard Goldberg is a big liar.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
True enough, particularly Hannity and O'Reilly follow this characteristic.
Yep. Those are the names that came to my mind then, too.

Quote:
I can agree with that, too.

Angela
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #29
Refugee

Well, then that's the moderate and progressive Christian's fault, for not trying to hard to get on those shows, or (just as likely) that they have tried and have been denied access, becuase of aforementioned editor bias.

I am currently reading "God's Politics: How the Right Gets It Worng And The Left Doesn't Get it" by John Wallis. Everyone should read this, it's been a godsend to me. As people know, I"m a currently disillusioned evengelical Christians who can't stand the public face of evangelical Christianity now, and is looking for a local progressive church to join. (Hm, why does "Acrobat" come to mind here? Come to think of it, the band should start playing it...make it the theme song of the tour....) FYI, the book has a great new Bono blurb on the back cover.

I read the book, looked up this guy's website, his organization, and form I have seen, the "opposition" to the takeover by the Religious Right is in its infancy. They are just barely starting to get organized on a national level. It's like a slumbering giant awakening. Or I hope it will be giant. There's a HUGE wellspring of people who not happy with the tone of things, and want change; only they are trying to figure out how to do it. They can't compete with the superbly organized and overfunded people like Falwell and Pat Robertson. Their message is tolerance, and we should try to build bridges instead of tearing them down. And they come from all sides of the spectrum. There's even an organization called the Common Law Network that is made of both pro and anti abortion women, who have not only opened a constructive dialogue on abortion but are are working together on many issues.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not sure that if you put a "moderate" Christian on there, it would be all that interesting. Ratings is priority when you're with a network, you don't want a sleepover of agreements on a debate show. Sometimes you have to look for Ann Coulter types, Falwell types, and Ward Churchill types. Nobody said the business was ever squeaky clean.