For all the opponents of the death penalty....read this - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 06:21 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

So then you believe the Sermon on the Mount? Jesus telling people to forget about the "eye for an eye" and turn the other cheek. (Matthew) And to love our enemies? (Luke)

These passages suggest nonresistance, pacifism, and nonviolence.
Yes, they do, but on a personal level. They were not edicts against the government using the death penalty or fighting wars to defend its people.

And I'm someone who doesn't support the death penalty. Unlike many of my stances, my stance against the death penalty is not based on my religious beliefs. I can't find anything in the Bible that opposes the death penalty as instituted by the government.

The reason I am against the death penalty is because the system is far from perfect and innocent people do get executed.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #62
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 07:30 AM
Hey martha and justin, re-read bonovox's last post.

Last time I checked MAN creates and passes laws so geeezus keee-riiiiiste, leave god and jesus out of it. We live by the laws of the land not the ten commandments or by trite passages such as eye for an eye.
AchtungB. (glad you're still safe) I empathize with your passion, and me thinks that many opponents of the death penalty might change their minds if they become the victim(s) of heinous human behaviour. Personally, I oppose the death penalty EXCEPT in circumstances where it is 100% certain (ted bundy and gacy come to mind) that they are guilty. Non-existence is the only punishment serial killers understand. IN the case of these two deprived "parents" life without parole ought to suffice--the misery of their own company and living in a constant state of fear of getting shanked seems a just punishment under man's laws.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Death penalty for involuntary manslaughter?

I'd have to say you couldn't justify it, period.

Malicious intent to take human life with absolutely no remorse?

Then you've got a pretty good case, IMO.

In this case, I think life in prison gets the job done.

I am not an opponent of the death penalty however, I do think there can be justifications that I have no moral qualms with. That said, I'd probably oppose 95% of the cases.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1925280.shtml

This guy might warrant a better discussion on the issue.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by JCR

Last time I checked MAN creates and passes laws so leave god and jesus out of it. We live by the laws of the land not the ten commandments or by trite passages such as eye for an eye.
Hey, this discussion is not about the legality of the death penalty. We all know that it's legal. This discussion is about the right/wrong of the death penalty, and as such, the injection of God into the subject is very appropriate.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

The reason I am against the death penalty is because the system is far from perfect and innocent people do get executed.
Which is perfectly understandable and the reason, well, among the reasons I oppose 90% (or more) of these cases.

However, what if the individual admits to the crime and expresses no remorse?

I can still see a legitimate opposition even in this case, for me personally I don't see it quite the same way, although I respect that opinion.

Life in prison isn't the cakewalk some would like to believe.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM   #66
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:

Hey, this discussion is about the legality of the death penalty. We all know that it's legal. This discussion is about the right/wrong of the death penalty, and as such, the injection of god into the subject is very appropriate.
I recognize that, it's just that martha and justin were talking in circles because they couldn't agree on a definition for a concept that may or may not exist. (They were no longer discussing the death penalty.)However, I would suggest that there is no need to inject god because god isn't the one determining the fate of persons facing the death penalty--we are: the lowly mortals.
Weren't we originally asking if these "parents" deserve the death penalty or not, rather than the overall rightness or wrongness of the death penalty?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:30 AM
The low down is if a family member is murdered, you want to see that murderer dead. I know if one of my family members were brutally murdered I would be there to see that murderer die for what he did to my family. And when that person is executed by lethal injection, I would think you got a more humane way of dying.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Re: For all the opponents of the death penalty....read this

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono
I just read this story on the CNN website and I'm still shaking and crying......

Read this story and then tell me that these animals don't deserve to be drawn and quartered, hung by their thumbs and slowly boiled in oil.......

Actually, I take that back..............death is TOO GOOD for these monsters!!!

++++++++++++++

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- The foster parents of a disabled 3-year-old boy wrapped him like a cocoon and left him for two days in a closet, where he died while they attended a family reunion, a prosecutor said.

The couple made several attempts to burn Marcus Fiesel's body and concocted an elaborate sham to cover up the boy's death, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said Tuesday.

"Marcus was wrapped in a blanket and wrapped in tape with his arms behind him -- and this was not the first time," Deters said in announcing additional indictments against Liz and David Carroll Jr. (Watch why the prosecutor thinks the child was screaming for help -- 8:48)

A grand jury indicted the couple Monday on charges of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment, and David Carroll, 35, on a charge of gross abuse of a corpse.

Tuesday's indictments included two counts each of inducing panic and one count each of making false alarms. Liz Carroll, 30, also was indicted on two counts of perjury for her testimony Monday to a grand jury, Deters said.

The Carrolls are scheduled for arraignment Wednesday; they remain jailed and information on their attorneys wasn't available.

Deters said the Carrolls left Marcus in the closet on August 4 when they went to a family reunion in Kentucky, and the boy was dead when they returned two days later.

A week later, Liz Carroll claimed Marcus wandered away from her at a suburban park, authorities said. Hundreds of volunteers joined authorities in the search for several days.

Authorities called off the official search on August 19. Liz Carroll pleaded for help finding Marcus at a news conference August 22 -- about the same time she and her husband were disposing of his body in a remote area of Brown County, Deters said.

"They went back repeatedly to burn his body -- two or three times," Deters said.

Authorities believe they have found the place where the body was burned, and they have brought back bags of evidence from the scene, Deters said.

He said the material will undergo DNA testing.
Physician, heal thyself.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #69
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:30 PM
My opposition to the death penalty doesn't mean I'm immune to the utter cruelty humans will inflict on another. However, I refuse to link myself to people like this couple and remove someone's life. I believe wholly in preserving life at all costs, unlike them. And unlike them, I will never bring harm or death to another person willingly.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:30 AM
But your really not harming anyone because the person strapped down deserved it. If he was found 100% guilty.

All I know is now I am going to be considered very un"Christian" for what I said. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism etc... Are all man made, you dont need that to be closer to God.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #71
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:30 PM
I dont believe it is my place to decide who deserves what. I'm just Anna, hardly capable of making a decision regarding someone's right to live. That's a decision beyond any one mere person.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Name one.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

I'm sorry I don't understand. If you agree that the crime was severe, then why would you oppose the death penalty in this case?
Because Dr Teeth is better than they are. Stooping to their level puts you...well...at their level.

and on a totally different slant -- I wonder where in Brown County...I lived in Brown County until a little less than a year ago. Generally nuttin' happens there.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #74
She's the One

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCR
Hey JCR, Justin brought it up.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Name one.
Jesse Tafero, from Florida. Do you want the names of others?

Do you believe that innocent people are not executed? How do you think that 100% perfection of capital punishment system is possible?

If you do think that it's even posisble to execute an innocent person, why would you support the death penalty?