For all the opponents of the death penalty....read this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:

Is it wrong of me to question him??? I think he enjoys a challenge, not dethrone him, but on issues such as this. How am I hell bent on revenge?

You were not questioning him, you were essentially speaking for him (and everyone else, apparently). And I used "hell-bent" because no argument here seems to dissuade you from wanting the perpetrator's life.

Why not he took someone elses. I am not trying to play god. I just dont see how you would rather the SOB live instead of being punished by death.

Bullshit, you are playing God. Taking the life of others and judging when to do so is not the domain of us ordinary men.

I would rather see the SOB alive, rotting away in prison, knowing that he will never know freedom for the rest of his days, knowing that his life will be dictated to him on someone else's terms for the rest of his days, knowing he will never know the pleasure of a day off, or a vacation, or spending time with his kids at the park, or any of the things that everyone takes for granted. That to me would be a better punishment.

Does killing a murderer bring back the victim?

No but does putting the murderer away do any good, when he can still kill in prison, people who are in for lesser crimes?? HE played God HE TOOK SOMEONES LIFE!!!!!!!!!! And keeping him in prison is torture right, arent u agains that??? Or only under these circumstances?

It acts like it. So only Anglos apply as Western Nations?? Cause Japan Mimmicks us.

Justin24 said:
HE played God HE TOOK SOMEONES LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

BINGO! Wait a minute.... aren't you contradicting yourself now?

Your logic is awfully fluid, Justin. Keeping him in prison is not torture. If he were to be beaten daily, that would be torture. Being locked up for life is a suitable punishment for the crime, as we don't want him out in the general population, obviously.

Last edited:
Nope. All I know is if a murderer kills a kid and does more than just stab or shoot the kid. Inject him with as much Death Juice as possible.

Sorry I can't be as Faithful as all of you and follow the Commandments.

Diemen said:

BINGO! Wait a minute.... aren't you contradicting yourself now?

Your logic is awfully fluid, Justin. Keeping him in prison is not torture. If he were to be beaten daily, that would be torture. Being locked up for life is a suitable punishment for the crime, as we don't want him out in the general population, obviously.

But then you would cry about his mental instabillity and how its cruel to keep him or her locked up

Diemen said:
Why is the method of death of any consequence? You're still ending a life. Whether you hang em or inject them, you're still killing them.

And why is that wrong when he took the most precious thing from a person in the first place??? Life!!

I find it disturbing when I dont see crowds going to grieve with the family but grieve for a murderer.

Um, how about not assuming how I'd react and stick to logical arguments. My opposition to the death penalty does not mean I have a soft spot for criminals.

Well it seems like it if u dont want a person that took 1 life or many lives.

Justin24 said:

And why is that wrong when he took the most precious thing from a person in the first place??? Life!!

Hmmm, I don't know...since you were so keen on bringing God into this earlier, maybe it has something to do with "Thou Shalt Not Kill", not "Thou Shalt Not Kill Unless They Kill Someone First."

Earnie Shavers said:
Justin, the want for revenge is perfectly understandable and perfectly human. I am most definitely anti-death penalty, but I know that if a loved one of mine was murdered, and the person that did it was standing in front of me, it would take a whole football team to physically restrain me. I say that, and at the same time completely and totally believe that the death penalty is archaic and wrong.

I have to admit that is true for me, also.

Justin24 said:
It acts like it. So only Anglos apply as Western Nations?? Cause Japan Mimmicks us.

Justin, you should have listened more closely in history class. Western nations are usually those located in the WESTERN hemisphere. Japan IS NOT IN TNE WESTERN HEMISPHERE.

Don't make your points look worse by ignoring facts that have nothing to do with your already thin argument.

Justin24 said:

Now I have not taken a side on this issue personally, but that notion is absurd.

Just because he says he doesn't like the death penatly doesn't mean he has a soft spot for criminals. He said it perfectly. He wants them locked away for good. He doesn't like them. He just doesn't believe in killing them. That doesn't mean he likes them or even sympathizes with them.

Diemen said:

Hmmm, I don't know...since you were so keen on bringing God into this earlier, maybe it has something to do with "Thou Shalt Not Kill", not "Thou Shalt Not Kill Unless They Kill Someone First."

You believe stuff from the Old Testament?

What has this world come to when a murderer has the backing of people who dont want to see them dead and gets free food, cloths, medical attention etc...

Justin24 said:

So now you're saying that people who oppose the death penalty are soft on crime?

You're going to have to try a little harder than that if you want to have a decent discussion over this.

Diemen said:

So now you're saying that people who oppose the death penalty are soft on crime?

You're going to have to try a little harder than that if you want to have a decent discussion over this.

I'm out.

Good night and keep safe. Nice talking.

Justin24 said:
What has this world come to when a murderer has the backing of people who dont want to see them dead and gets free food, cloths, medical attention etc...

And a lack of choice - one of the most important things of being free.

You don't get it. Life without parole isn't "soft."

Yes it is because they can still function, People can get outside from the inside by calling shots. Examples are the Mexican Mafia.

Diemen said:
Why is the method of death of any consequence? You're still ending a life. Whether you hang em or inject them, you're still killing them.

I want to know how many supporters of the death penalty would be willing to be the person who pulls the plug. The one who pushes the button for the IV flow.

My simplest reason for opposing the death penalty is that I could never, ever be that person. And if I can't bring myself to be that person, then I shouldn't expect other people to do my dirty work for me.

Justin24 said:
Yes it is because they can still function, People can get outside from the inside by calling shots. Examples are the Mexican Mafia.

And if they're sentenced to death in California, they'll have the rest of the their lives to call shots because the odds of actually being put to death are slim to none. So we the taxpayers of California still get to pay to feed them, clothe them AND pay for the endless appeals they are entitled to by law.

Do you think 20 or 30 years of appeals helps the family of a murder victim find closure?

Nope the law sucks here in CA. It should change to 10 year maximum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom