For all the opponents of the death penalty....read this - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #241
She's the One

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
My logic of thinking is you that you could give a shit about a person that was killed because your all to busy in front of a prison with candles and signs with pictures saying Would Jesus do this?
Another stupid assumption.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #242
She's the One

Local Time: 04:09 PM
I'm going to bed. My dreams will make more sense than this thread.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Another stupid assumption.
No it's not. I find it sickening of you supposed anti-death penalty supporters to cause such a hoopla over Stanley Tookie Williams but when the next one up for execution came up. Where was snoop dogg, or Rev. Jesse Jackson??

I guess they choose who they want to live and die too.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:07 AM   #244
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Justin, grow the hell up. I only brought up the Bible because you brought God up first.

I would have absolutely no problem telling a family that I don't believe killing someone is the right response to having someone you know killed. What you seem to mistakenly believe is that every family of a murder victim wants to execute the murderer, and this is totally and utterly false. There are PLENTY of families who argued for life in prison, even though it was THEIR daughter, THEIR son, THEIR husband or THEIR wife who was murdered.

My mom's sister was killed when she was a teenager. My grandma and grandpa did not at any time want to have the guy responsible executed. So don't sit here and even attempt to lecture us on what to do, when you have absolutely no grasp on the reality of the situation anymore. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I think we've been more than patient with you, but since you can't bother to discuss things rationally, maybe it's best if you step out of this thread for a while?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:07 AM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I'm going to bed. My dreams will make more sense than this thread.
Good night and keep safe.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Justin, grow the hell up. I only brought up the Bible because you brought God up first.

I would have absolutely no problem telling a family that I don't believe killing someone is the right response to having someone you know killed. What you seem to mistakenly believe is that every family of a murder victim wants to execute the murderer, and this is totally and utterly false. There are PLENTY of families who argued for life in prison, even though it was THEIR daughter, THEIR son, THEIR husband or THEIR wife who was murdered.

My mom's sister was killed when she was a teenager. My grandma and grandpa did not at any time want to have the guy responsible executed. So don't sit here and even attempt to lecture us on what to do, when you have absolutely no grasp on the reality of the situation anymore. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I think we've been more than patient with you, but since you can't bother to discuss things rationally, maybe it's best if you step out of this thread for a while?
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I am not telling people what to do. I am not forcing anyone to only accept executions. In my view there acceptable.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #247
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

You may not be telling us what to do, but you are making it very clear that you think the rest of us are murderer sympathizers who care more about the criminal than the victim. And that's simply not the case. Nowhere in this thread did anyone say they'd sooner hold a vigil for the murderer than for the victim. Nowhere did anyone say they don't care about the victim's family or don't want justice. But you assumed all these things about us that simply aren't true.

But nuanced thought doesn't seem to be your forté.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:29 AM   #248
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:09 AM
This thread is unbelieveable. Justin, seriously, do you think before you speak, and do you actually partake in any kind of analytical, critical, or logical thought? Or do you just have some urge for revenge or bloodlust that makes you so keen on executions?

There are so many points I could address, but I won't really bother. I would like to add a comment to one thing namkcuR said, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
There will always be human error and, as long as that is true, there will NEVER be any such thing as being 100% sure of a person's guilt short of having a video recording of the person commiting the crime. Because a video is not human. It's a machine. Videos don't have error. See how that works?
I don't think even video footage can give a 100% assurance of guilt. Firstly, video footage is open to the interpretation of the viewer - which is especially a problem when the video is poor quality or not focused on the crime. And secondly, the video only offers one particular perspective on the crime. Sure, we may see one guy shoot another, but what we might not see, because the first guy is in the way, is that the second guy had a pistol pointed at the first guy's little child.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
This thread is unbelieveable. Justin, seriously, do you think before you speak, and do you actually partake in any kind of analytical, critical, or logical thought? Or do you just have some urge for revenge or bloodlust that makes you so keen on executions?
I seek only justice. Does a person who writes something you don't agree with automatically make that person false in critical or logical thought?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #250
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Justin, take a deep breath and come back...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:11 AM   #251
Refugee

Local Time: 01:09 AM
I don't give a damn what happens to murderers. I don't see execution of a murderer as anywhere near an equal to a murder of an innocent law abiding member of the community. I'd love to see them executed and out of society in a way that doesn't financially burden the taxpayer.

BUT...

until someone (Justin?) can show me a guaranteed sure fire way of ensuring no innocent person is executed, then I can't bring myself round to supporting capital punishment.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #252
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
I seek only justice.
I don't think you even know what justice is.

(No, revenge is not justice.)

Quote:
Does a person who writes something you don't agree with automatically make that person false in critical or logical thought?
No.

Given the disorganised, haphazard, and somewhat incoherent nature of your posts, I think there is valid reason to question whether you think critically or logically.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-03-2006, 04:58 AM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I don't think you even know what justice is.

(No, revenge is not justice.)

Justice is.

A drug user who get's arrested should not be put in jail but in drug clinic.

Drug dealers should be put in jail as should, Robbers, Pedophiles, Rapists etc..........

Murders who are 100% guilty should be executed. If it would make, I would agree to have all persons in Death Row have a re-trial and let investigators from other cities or federal investigators review the cases to be certain that person is innocent or guilty. And for the wrongful executions of past "supposed" murderers who were found innocent today, a reperation and apology to the family.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:26 AM   #254
Refugee

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Murders who are 100% guilty should be executed. If it would make, I would agree to have all persons in Death Row have a re-trial and let investigators from other cities or federal investigators review the cases to be certain that person is innocent or guilty.
More LIKELY to get the right decision, but not a guarantee. There's a good chance over a period of time for a innocent person to be found guilty in error twice. Not good enough for me.

Quote:
And for the wrongful executions of past "supposed" murderers who were found innocent today, a reperation and apology to the family.
Nothing can repair this...hence why I believe it has to be avoided whilst protecting the community.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #255
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Murders who are 100% guilty should be executed. If it would make, I would agree to have all persons in Death Row have a re-trial and let investigators from other cities or federal investigators review the cases to be certain that person is innocent or guilty. And for the wrongful executions of past "supposed" murderers who were found innocent today, a reperation and apology to the family.
How many times do we have to explain this? There is no way under our judicial system to determine 100% guilt! And simply saying "well, we should change the system then" isn't gonna help unless you've got some sort of meaningful explanation as to how to do that.

I find it hard to believe that you of all people, who are so vehemently for the death penalty and are always crying about the victim's family and getting justice for them, would be so callous as to say that money and an apology would be good enough to make up for the murder of someone who turned out to be innocent. As if that would be good enough. "Oops, sorry, we shouldn't have killed your dad. Our bad. Here's some money."

You've just created another victim and victim's family, and yet this time around a little money and some words are ok for you? Please.

And yes, your understanding of justice is horribly skewed. From everything you've written here it would seem that your definition of justice is doing back to someone what they did to you. That is not justice, that is revenge, pure and simple. It would be the same as if you argued that the proper sentence for a thief is to have their things stolen, or the proper sentence for a rapist is to have them raped in return.

If the criminal's action is wrong and reprehensible, then we can't claim the higher ground if we are willing and capable of doing the same thing to them.