For all the opponents of the death penalty....read this - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #226
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:54 PM
I am 1000% against capital punishment and I always will be.

I am going to back up my opinion with facts.

Fact: No matter what you say, the primary purpose of prison is not now, nor has it EVER been, to punish the guilty party. Prison is a quarantine - its primary and fundemental purpose is to keep criminals out of society. As long as those criminals don't get to have the freedom of being part of society, prison has served its purpose. Prison has nothing to do with punishment. The punishment comes from within when the criminal finally(if ever) starts feeling remorseful, and when the guilt finally(if ever) starts tormenting the criminal.

Fact: The justice system is based soley and completely on the capabilities of the human mind to interpret and judge and, as such, the justice system will ALWAYS be subject to human error. That is what makes us human, the fact that we are not now, nor have we ever been, nor we will we ever be, perfect. There will always be human error and, as long as that is true, there will NEVER be any such thing as being 100% sure of a person's guilt short of having a video recording of the person commiting the crime. Because a video is not human. It's a machine. Videos don't have error. See how that works? All of that said, if just ONE innocent person has been put to death, OR EVEN, if there is the potential for just ONE innocent person to be put to death in the future, nothing more needs to be said in arguement against capital punishment. However, I will say more anyway.

Now I will venture into things that are a little more based on opinion.

If someone is murdered, their family and friends will be devestated. If SOMEONE is murdered. That means not only the victim of the crime, but the murderer as well when he is put to death by the state. A person who commits murder still has a mother and father and brother and sister of their own. If you take away those peoples' son/daughter and brother/sister, you are punishing them. And THEY are innocent people. THEY did nothing wrong. EVERY time someone is executed by the state, innocent people are being punished because somewhere, that murderer's mother is crying just as hard as the murderer's victim's mother is crying. THAT is not ok. If you stick the murderer in prison for the rest of his/her life, then at least the mother, who did NOTHING wrong, can still see her son/daughter. I don't have a kid, but if I did, and that kid was murdered, I'd tell the court not to put the murderer to death, because that murderer might have a father who loves him somewhere(not always, but sometimes), and I wouldn't want to wish anyone the pain I've just experienced. I know some of you will say I will change my mind when I do have kids of my own, but I don't think I will. And what if the murderer has a son/daugher? There is NO justification for taking an innocent kid's parent away. There's no justification for a murderer doing it, and there's no justification for the state doing it. NONE.

When you execute a criminal, you are putting THEIR family through unneccessary pain, you are NEVER making the family of the victim feel any better, and you NEVER deterring other criminals.

These are my views on why capital punishment is barbaric and purposeless, and I really don't see anything changing them.

And please don't tell me that a murderer doesn't deserve to breathe the same air you breathe. When people say that, it just strikes be as very holier than thou and pretentious.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:54 PM
SO I give a comparison and I am being lame???

Old 09-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ok then I don't want to see people complain when we have to build more jails than schools. Or how about since you are all against the Death Penalty we find a deserted Island and put them there. Kind of like Lost
Old 09-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

If someone is murdered, their family and friends will be devestated. If SOMEONE is murdered. That means not only the victim of the crime, but the murderer as well when he is put to death by the state. A person who commits murder still has a mother and father and brother and sister of their own. If you take away those peoples' son/daughter and brother/sister, you are punishing them. And THEY are innocent people. THEY did nothing wrong. EVERY time someone is executed by the state, innocent people are being punished because somewhere, that murderer's mother is crying just as hard as the murderer's victim's mother is crying. THAT is not ok. If you stick the murderer in prison for the rest of his/her life, then at least the mother, who did NOTHING wrong, can still see her son/daughter. I don't have a kid, but if I did, and that kid was murdered, I'd tell the court not to put the murderer to death, because that murderer might have a father who loves him somewhere(not always, but sometimes), and I wouldn't want to wish anyone the pain I've just experienced. I know some of you will say I will change my mind when I do have kids of my own, but I don't think I will. And what if the murderer has a son/daugher? There is NO justification for taking an innocent kid's parent away. There's no justification for a murderer doing it, and there's no justification for the state doing it. NONE.

When you execute a criminal, you are putting THEIR family through unneccessary pain, you are NEVER making the family of the victim feel any better, and you NEVER deterring other criminals.

Maybe the parents should have been better parents. Now there child must face the consiquences of there deeds. There is no such thing as people taking responability anymore.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #230
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Your statement is pathetic, and if you can't see the difference between a bad cruise and life in prison, then you don't know what you're talking about at this point.

Lifers hardly have amenities just like a cruise. Oh yes, they can use the bathroom, or even a gym or basketball court. But the big thing you seem to be forgetting here is that they have absolutely no freedom. Their life is dictated to them on someone else's terms. What they can and cannot do is determined by someone else. What and where they eat is determined by someone else. How they spend their day is determined by someone else.

And they don't get to go back to to their regular lives after a while (like you would on a cruise). This is their life for the rest of their days. They get no time-outs, no vacations, no days off from this. Every day for the rest of lives is spent in the confines of prison, with no chance of ever getting out again, no chance of ever knowing a regular day of freedom to choose what they want to do, spend a day with friends or family, go to a park, lounge around the living room with friends, etc.

But you're right. It's just like a cruise.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #231
She's the One

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
SO I give a comparison and I am being lame???
Yes. Life in prison compared to a cruise!?!? That's a stupid thing to say, and it's shit like that that makes absolutely no one give any credence to anything you say anymore. You rant on, saying crap like that, not really answering anybody, making no sense at all....

Old 09-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:54 PM
You know I gave serious consideration to your underlying point of view. That was a fucking waste of my time.

You're entitled to your view. I think many hold it.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #233
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Ok then I don't want to see people complain when we have to build more jails than schools. Or how about since you are all against the Death Penalty we find a deserted Island and put them there. Kind of like Lost
Do you even understand what logic is?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Your statement is pathetic, and if you can't see the difference between a bad cruise and life in prison, then you don't know what you're talking about at this point.

Lifers hardly have amenities just like a cruise. Oh yes, they can use the bathroom, or even a gym or basketball court. But the big thing you seem to be forgetting here is that they have absolutely no freedom. Their life is dictated to them on someone else's terms. What they can and cannot do is determined by someone else. What and where they eat is determined by someone else. How they spend their day is determined by someone else.

And they don't get to go back to to their regular lives after a while (like you would on a cruise). This is their life for the rest of their days. They get no time-outs, no vacations, no days off from this. Every day for the rest of lives is spent in the confines of prison, with no chance of ever getting out again, no chance of ever knowing a regular day of freedom to choose what they want to do, spend a day with friends or family, go to a park, lounge around the living room with friends, etc.

But you're right. It's just like a cruise.
And Guess what a family will never see there child again. I want you to go tell a family that executing him is the wrong choice. Do you have the Balls for that?? Since you probably live by ancient manuscripts if it told you to that execution is ok then I am sure you would be for it.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #235
She's the One

Quote:
Since you probably live by ancient manuscripts if it told you to that execution is ok then I am sure you would be for it.
Where do you get these lines? Is someone writing them for you?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My logic of thinking is you that you could give a shit about a person that was killed because your all to busy in front of a prison with candles and signs with pictures saying Would Jesus do this?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #237
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Where do you get these lines? Is someone writing them for you?
You get your thinking of not taking ones life because he took someone elses from the Bible. But if it said it was permissable then you would.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #238
She's the One

Quote:
You get your thinking of not taking ones life because he took someone elses from the Bible. But if it said it was permissable then you would.

You know I'm not a Christian, don't you? And your original ridiculous assmption was directed and Dieman, not me.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Yes. Life in prison compared to a cruise!?!? That's a stupid thing to say, and it's shit like that that makes absolutely no one give any credence to anything you say anymore. You rant on, saying crap like that, not really answering anybody, making no sense at all....

Is everything you say in life, supported by your Credence or what other people think of you.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

You know I'm not a Christian, don't you? And your original ridiculous assmption was directed and Dieman, not me.
I didn't know you were not a christian. And I have nothing against that.