For all the opponents of the death penalty....read this - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #196
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Nice partisan jab, btw.
What? INDY made a partisan jab? No way, that's so unlike him.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So one example and now we should kill em all? Weak.

Crimes in prison happen, with or without the DP. Many by people who've never committed murder before.
But NONE post-execution just to clear up the timeline for you.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #198
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

That is true. Even for the executed who never committed a crime in the first place. But who cares about them, right?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #199
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

But NONE post-execution just to clear up the timeline for you.
Brilliant assessment.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

If one man who got out and committed murder is your justification for the death penalty, then it should follow that one innocent man executed should be just as strong an argument against it.

Except there are far more examples of wrongfully accused and executed than there are of lifer's (without parole) who got out and killed again.

Nice partisan jab, btw.
You are absolutely right. There have been people exonerated that were sitting on deathrow. But none that were actually executed. I am still waiting for the name of the poor "innocent" soul who was out walking his dog or something, gets arrested, charged, tried before a jury, sentenced, uses up all his appeals and 15-25 years later was executed for a crime he had nothing to do with. So maybe the safeguards in place work.

Really, I can understand being opposed to the death penalty. But I balance any personal reservations with what I feel is the need for society to punish heinous crimes with a suitable penalty and just as importantly, to permanently remove from it's midst the worst of the worst. The predators. The serial killers, the callous wanton butchers, the mass-murdering terrorists and the sadistic torturers of children.

Is the death penalty overused. Maybe, but should it be abolished again. Ab-sol-ute-ly not.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #201
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

You are absolutely right. There have been people exonerated that were sitting on deathrow. But none that were actually executed.
Once again your logic is flawed. Which has been pointed out to you before. Repeating yourself, doesn't change anything.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #202
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 AM
I still get a kick out of "religious folks" being zealously in favor of the death penalty. It reminds me that the Bible is used to justify the status quo and nothing more.

Religious folks should be reminded that Jesus is the shining example of the flaws inherent in capital punishment, as, after all, He was an innocent man executed at the request of an angry mob. I wonder how many more innocents have been claimed by the angry mobs since then?

Melon
Old 09-02-2006, 01:23 AM   #203
She's the One

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I still get a kick out of "religious folks" being zealously in favor of the death penalty.
Me too. I can't figure out yet how that works.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #204
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Me too. I can't figure out yet how that works.
Indeed. Particularly when you get passages like this one:

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil; be concerned for what is noble in the sight of all. If possible, on your part, live at peace with all. Beloved, do not look for revenge but leave room for the wrath; for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.' Rather, 'if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.' Do not be conquered by evil but conquer evil with good." - Romans 12:17-21

I think too many people forget that the Bible is more than just a tool for the self-righteous to fling hatred at people that they despise.

Anyway, I digress. I can formulate secular arguments for and against the death penalty, and I believe that's how any arguments should be formulated in government--through secular means. But I know that there are religious people who think otherwise, and, as I said before, it baffles me as to the level of zealotry when it comes to their support for the death penalty. It seems almost decidedly un-Christian.

Melon
Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #205
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It reminds me that the Bible is used to justify the status quo and nothing more.

I wouldn't agree with the "and nothing more", but I do agree that I'm amused as well how many folks use the Bible to justify the status quo.

Status quo can be a very very dangerous thing. And here in the US, in the year 2006, it's being abused. I fear for this country.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
I still get a kick out of "religious folks" being zealously in favor of the death penalty. It reminds me that the Bible is used to justify the status quo and nothing more.Melon
Very true. I'm sick of it.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:44 AM
I'm sick of people telling families that it would be wrong to execute a murderer. I am sick of seeing people form a vigil for a murderer ready to be executed. I am tired of never seeing anyone go and support a victims family.

Do they not or did deserve death??

Old 09-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #208
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I'm sick of people telling families that it would be wrong to execute a murderer. I am sick of seeing people form a vigil for a murderer ready to be executed. I am tired of never seeing anyone go and support a victims family.

Do they not or did deserve death??
Look, Justin, you just ignored a complete round of people telling you that all you are doing is talking in circles. Go back a page or 2 and read what diemen said, and respond to it.

They did not deserve death, just a loss of choice.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:44 AM
What would that choice be??? I am going to say it. But pretty much everyone on this thread supports the human right of those who have murdered. You show more sorrow and support by not wanting this person pay the ultimate price for taking the biggist gift anyperson get' life.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
What would that choice be??? I am going to say it. But pretty much everyone on this thread supports the human right of those who have murdered. You show more sorrow and support by not wanting this person pay the ultimate price for taking the biggist gift anyperson get' life.
We show sorrow and support by saying go to jail for life and stay there?

The choices you get with freedom is what I mean. You lose freedom. You take what prison gives you, which isn't much. That's the second most valuable thing you have, your freedom.

And what about diemen's post? He raised good points about you contradicting yourself.