For a Columbia Graduate, what a Moron! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:07 PM
For a Columbia Graduate, what a Moron!

I was just watching Hannity & Colmes on FOX NEWS (yes, I was EXTREMELY bored) and they were discussing Ahmadinajad's speech at Columbia. So this Columbia graduate comes on the air and says that when she heard that Columbia had allowed him to speak, she tore up her diploma. Yes, her diploma, the actual copy!!!

Now, I don't know much about college diplomas, but does this mean that she has no proof of her degree? Can she be screwed over by not having proof of it? I guess since she was willing to rip it up, she never deserved a college degree in the first place.

What a fuckin fool!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:07 PM
she can always have a new one ordered...not that she'd want to, but it is possible.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

It's like burning a flag. Just as you don't destroy America in the process of burning a flag, ripping up your diploma is little more than a symbolic gesture that doesn't terminate your degree.

Regardless, she doesn't sound very bright, if she's getting all worked up about a speech. It's not as if Columbia was endorsing what he was saying at all.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

i'm not sure about the situation....did columbia invite him to come speak? was this an event hosted by columbia's student programming board?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Fox News viewer prevailed

over Columbia College graduate
Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Just more proof that people that graduate from "top universities" are really just morons.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i'm not sure about the situation....did columbia invite him to come speak? was this an event hosted by columbia's student programming board?
Yes, he was invited by the university as part of its World Leaders Forum. They've had dozens of heads of states speak over the years, frequently around the time of the UN general assembly.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:07 AM
LOL

wow - you're stand by tearing up a piece of paper is like tiananmen square all over again!!

go girl!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:07 PM
After reading an article about it...it was a master's, not a BA, and she already has a decade-long career in both broadcast and print journalism by this point, so I doubt she has any need for the actual document.

Are there really any employers who ask to see applicants' diplomas anyway?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:07 PM
Ripping up your college diploma has no more practical effect than ripping up your marriage certificate or your divorce decree. When I got mine, I checked it for accuracy, stuck it back in the cardboard tube it was mailed in, stuck it in a drawer and have never seen it since. No one's ever asked to see it. An employer who wants your college records is probably going to ask for transcripts anyway.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
It's like burning a flag. Just as you don't destroy America in the process of burning a flag, ripping up your diploma is little more than a symbolic gesture that doesn't terminate your degree.

Regardless, she doesn't sound very bright, if she's getting all worked up about a speech. It's not as if Columbia was endorsing what he was saying at all.
The bottom line is that you don't invite someone to speak if you're not interested in what he has to say, right? If Columbia invited him to speak then that means that they have an interest in giving him a forum to air his controversial views.

I find it totally ironic that the second greatest enemy of the U.S. is being treated like a celebrity in the very country that he hates.

god bless America!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

The bottom line is that you don't invite someone to speak if you're not interested in what he has to say, right? If Columbia invited him to speak then that means that they have an interest in giving him a forum to air his controversial views.

I find it totally ironic that the second greatest enemy of the U.S. is being treated like a celebrity in the very country that he hates.

god bless America!

yeah rly! god forbid we exercise our free speech to let people have an opportunity to ask some hard-hitting questions. my guess is the forum was meant to encourage debate, not a channel for him to advertise his views. if you don't have discussion how can you ever hope for peace?

i'm not supporting this guy one bit. i think he is a moron. but i do think that it was a very rare and cool thing to have a world leaders forum like this where it isn't just politicians kissing each other's ass and trying to earn the loudest applause. i think stuff like this should happen more often.

and i don't see how you think he was being treated like a celebrity? the subject of this thread was not the only form of objection to take place yesterday.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
After reading an article about it...it was a master's, not a BA, and she already has a decade-long career in both broadcast and print journalism by this point, so I doubt she has any need for the actual document.

Are there really any employers who ask to see applicants' diplomas anyway?
i don't know if any employers do, but when i was looking at post-graduate programs abroad some of them asked for a copy of the diploma.

and vt STILL has yet to send me mine. so obviously SOMEBODY thinks they aren't that important
Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:

The bottom line is that you don't invite someone to speak if you're not interested in what he has to say, right?
Does interest = support?

Quote:

Yeah, I heard he had hordes of autograph seekers, the paparazzi were everywhere, I think the E! true Hollywood story airs tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:07 PM
It doesn't actually MEAN anything, but ripping up your diploma because you don't approve of a guest speaker is kind of stupid. But whatever.