Food for Oil by any other name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
http://www.christian-aid.org/indepth/406iraqoilupdate/index.htm

Fuelling suspicion: the coalition and Iraq's oil billions /28.06.04

The US-controlled coalition in Baghdad is handing over power to an Iraqi government without having properly accounted for what it has done with some $20 billion of Iraq's own money, says a new report published by Christian Aid.

HIV/AIDS ctrade caid cdebt cenvironment cdevelopment cemergencies cfull list of reports c

Fuelling suspicion: the coalition and Iraq's oil billions /28.06.04

The US-controlled coalition in Baghdad is handing over power to an Iraqi government without having properly accounted for what it has done with some $20 billion of Iraq's own money, says a new report published by Christian Aid.

? Download full report (166kb PDF)
? More information on downloading PDFs

An audit, reportedly critical, of the coalition?s handling of Iraqi revenues is not going to be delivered until mid-July ? after the coalition has ceased to exist.

Christian Aid believes this situation is in flagrant breach of the UN Security Council resolution that gave control of Iraq?s oil revenues and other Iraqi funds to the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA).

?For the entire year that the CPA has been in power in Iraq, it has been impossible to tell with any accuracy what the CPA has been doing with Iraq?s money,? said Helen Collinson, head of policy at Christian Aid.

Resolution 1483 of May 2003 said that Iraq?s oil revenues should be paid into the Development Fund for Iraq (DFI), that this money should be spent in the interests of the Iraqi people, and be independently audited. But it took until April 2004 to appoint an auditor ? leaving only a matter of weeks to go through the books.

Early reports of the audit indicate strong criticisms of the CPA?s handling of Iraq?s money. But the CPA is not going to be around to be held accountable.

It's up to 20 B unaccounted for and not even any meters on oil production to measure the amount produced.

That's freakin scary...and I'm sure no major media will look into this either. It will probably just get swept under the rug with everything else.

And of course the real food for oil scam was invented to throw the media away from this 100% true travesty of justice.

A_Wanderer said:
And of course the real food for oil scam was invented to throw the media away from this 100% true travesty of justice.

What?! What are you talking about? Come on there may be 20 billion missing.

I have very serious doubts about this reports validity, I will believe the allegations as fact when there has been a full and proper investigation done by an independent group. I doubt oil money has been stolen by the coalition and I reckon that the facts will attest to this. The real travesty is the Oil for Food program which allegedly was used by Saddam to Starve his people killing hundreds of thousands of people. I think this is a case of miscommunication and there is not nearly as much harm done as the Food for Oild program.

If this is a real case of stealing oil money then I will be outraged but until I can see some definite proof I will not condemn the coalition.

Last edited:
They aren't saying the CPA was necessarily stealing. though it is possible. The head of the aid society was on NPR radio yesterday and stated:
1. the CPA did not meter the oil production so there is no record of production

2. ignored UN resolution requiring independant audit by delayiong choosing the firm, then delaying getting the firm information as long as Monday

3. the prelininary audit shows up to 20B unaccounted for mainly because they won't provide the list on companies and expenditures paid them for the no bid contracts.

4. their accounting procedures were incompetent

Back
Top Bottom