Folks, I LOVE THE LORD! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You may be referring to the Catholic Church, which conducted services in Latin. I do not recall if they required congregants to pray in Latin.
We Catholics have never been required to say our prayers in Latin. Some of the names of our prayers are known by their Latin names, such as the Ave Maria for the Hail Mary. That's because the Church used Latin so much, and still does for the Pope's encyclicals and other global Church stuff. Of course we used to have Latin masses, now mass is in the vernacular.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:17 PM
To the person who asks why you are thankful to God about fixing "small" things read this:

I Thessalonians 5:18
In EVERYTHING give thanks;
for this is God's will
for you in Christ Jesus.

Key Word: Everything. There is not a hair in your body that the Lord hasn't counted. Everything and anything occurs or happens because he allows it. Why he doesn't fix other problems is up to his will. His holy plan is what it's all about. It's all about him. Not about us.

Sometimes his will doesn't make sense to us because we see things from a more narrow point of view. But on a larges scale -his view, it's perfectly clear why he does things. We may not know it now but he knows what's good for us much like our loving father.

Sometimes our own pride drives us away from God. Sometimes we think we are all-powerful and can solve all our problems. But the Lord says we are to be humble and that the wise man admits his mistakes and learns from them.

Surrender is such a difficult word to embrace. So difficult to do when everything around us says to do the exact oppossite "Never Surrender". But the truth is God isn't to be in the passenger seat in your life - HE SHOULD BE ON THE WHEEL.

If he was willing to die for you and me the least we can do is obey him.

Cheers and God Bless...

Old 03-22-2004, 05:08 AM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 06:17 AM
In other words: sit down, shut up and, for God's sake, don't ask any questions.

Just focus on the next life.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:39 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Pretty much. You make it sound so terribe though....
Old 03-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #50
War Child

It is terrible.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
What part is terrible? Trusting God? Being humble? Obeying God?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat
In other words: sit down, shut up and, for God's sake, don't ask any questions.

Just focus on the next life.
That's awfully harsh. There's nothing wrong with having questions.

Angela
Old 03-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
What part is terrible? Trusting God? Being humble? Obeying God?
No! What's terrible is what iacrobat posted and BrownEyedBoy agreed with - that people should just "sit down, shut up ... focus on the next life." I think living life with that attitude would be pretty terrible.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

I was attempting to clarify my previous post, but I think I just confused it even more, so I'm deleting this post.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #55
War Child

It's terrible that BrownEyedBoy agreed with my comment, I thought he(can I assume from the username?) was taking the piss. But it was no joke, he really does agree with my assessment, scary!

Its meaningless rhetoric that comes across as condescending. It is ultimately escapist because the focus IS on the "next life." To say it is "up to his will" is to turn a blind eye to everything good and evil in this world. Why, as a white, english speaking, heterosexual, wealthy male, do I have more advantages on anyone else on the planet?

Cos that's the way god intended it?
Bullshit.

This type of thinking justifies the status quo and impedes change, equality and justice.

As long as people die in poverty needlessy and I live in comfort and excess, then it IS about us. Fuck Him and his so called "plan." I will do everything I can to change this world.

I do not believe it is His plan, I believe it is important to question EVERYTHING. I will not sit idly by and wait for my reward in heaven.

As one smart man said, I believe God is on his knees begging us to act.

My anger is directed at this attitude, which I have been around enough of in my life, not anything else.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #56
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Okay, my last post could definitely be misinterpreted. I'm not saying I agree with the comments, personally I don't think they're an accurate characterisation of what BrownEyedBoy posted...although then again, he did say iacrobat was right, so maybe I'm talking nonsense. I was just saying that IF a person did live their lives on that basis, I think it would be pretty terrible.

I'm not entirely sure that this is any clearer now.
It's clear FizzingWhizzbees!

I didn't expect anyone to agree with me, so I am as suprised as you. It would be terrible if someone lived their life like that.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
(1) living life according to God's will and (2) using God's gifts, asking questions and taking action are not mutually exclusive. Focusing on the "next life" should not blind us to the life we live today.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I didn't "agree" with you. You translated and understood the message that best way you saw fit. I simply meant to say "If that's the way you want to see it, then fine"

But the truth is, in order to achieve God's purpose for yout life you have to surrender to God's will. Sometimes you may not understand it but some orders you don't understand until you've completed them...whence myu agreeing with your "shut up and listen" translation.

I hope I clarified myself a little.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
I didn't "agree" with you. You translated and understood the message that best way you saw fit. I simply meant to say "If that's the way you want to see it, then fine"

But the truth is, in order to achieve God's purpose for yout life you have to surrender to God's will. Sometimes you may not understand it but some orders you don't understand until you've completed them...whence myu agreeing with your "shut up and listen" translation.

I hope I clarified myself a little.
You do have to do a bit of submission but I like the way NB put it, following God's will, and using the brain He gave you to question, think and take action are not mutually exclusive. I think it's my *duty* to protest against things I consider unjust, for the sake of other people *and* myself. To never act against things you consider unjust isn't good for anyone. Some things are a mystery, we ask "why" and we don't always get answers. Sometimes I can only say "it's God's will not mine". It depends on the situation.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat

As long as people die in poverty needlessy and I live in comfort and excess, then it IS about us. Fuck Him and his so called "plan." I will do everything I can to change this world.

I do not believe it is His plan, I believe it is important to question EVERYTHING. I will not sit idly by and wait for my reward in heaven.

As one smart man said, I believe God is on his knees begging us to act.

My anger is directed at this attitude, which I have been around enough of in my life, not anything else.