Folks, I LOVE THE LORD! - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2004, 12:06 PM   #166
War Child

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by annj

do you ever think of it in the way that perhaps God would prefer you not to smoke, because he knows it could harm you and actually put you in hell(the grave) earlier than you deserve and he doesn't want that.. in fact he isnt condenming you but trying to help you ?
The 11th commandment, thou shalt not smoke?

Did God want us not to smoke before science revealed that it was bad for us? Or before it became socially unacceptable?

Old 05-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #167
War Child

Local Time: 03:29 AM
It doesn't say anywhere in the bible about smoking iacrobat, I know that
but christians can view it as harming the body and life that God give us and that is why they refrain from it.. that was what I was pointing out, and that it doesnt mean that basstrap is being sent to eternal damnation for it

Old 05-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #168
War Child

I knew you weren't saying that annj.

I understand the idea behind it, but if it is considered sinful to smoke, where is the line? Is it not inconsistent to hold a view against smoking while eating unhealthy food? Or driving a gas guzzling SUV? Both of which are harmful for your body.

I do realise that some Christians consider smoking a full on sin, along with drinking and swearing. Then there are others who do smoke, and yet others who enjoy a good session. So there is a wide range of views.

My point is that smoking shouldn't "religiousized", because if it is, well, it gets mucky. Where is the line for activity that is harmful for your body.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #169
War Child

Local Time: 03:29 AM
yep you are right, in the sense no one has a right to tell anyone else what do do when it comes to these personal choices, we are aware of the options the harm and the good and we are all old enough and big enough to decide for ourselves what we want to do in the end . and we can't judge any one for the way they live their lives because it is THEIR choice and they have to live by it
Old 06-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
my problem with a lot of christians is that they are constantly judging. CONSTANTLY. makes me ill
This is a problem of people in general - religious and secular. Health advocates judge you for smoking, environmentalists judge you for driving your SUV.

There are also differences between biblical Christianity and what I'll call "tradition based" Christianity. Matters such as smoking are not addressed in the Bible. The statement "you will go to hell for smoking" is one born of tradition, not biblical exegesis.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #171
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

This is a problem of people in general - religious and secular. Health advocates judge you for smoking, environmentalists judge you for driving your SUV.

There are also differences between biblical Christianity and what I'll call "tradition based" Christianity. Matters such as smoking are not addressed in the Bible. The statement "you will go to hell for smoking" is one born of tradition, not biblical exegesis.

And real christians should know that there is no big difference between them and the biggest sinner they can imagine, noone makes it to heaven because of the things he did himself, both need HIM (Jesus) to be saved.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #172
Refugee

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Newbie here

I just have to say, as a long time lurker first time poster...I LOVE this BBS.

I just love how all of you can have fantastic discussions where you agree to disagree and can still be courteous.

To the originator of this post...thank you. This post has uplifted my day and made it more beautiful. The Lord works in mysterous ways...and He does answer every prayer, it's just that often times we may not like the answer we receive so we ignore it thinking we know better.

Just because we don't understand why God does certain things doesn't mean that He doesn't. It is while we are suffering the most that we are in fact, much closer to Grace than we realize.