Flu Vaccine for Teens not Tots - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Would anybody in their right mind hang about treating sick people if they were not immunised?

The prospect of a pandemic seems to fall into the realm of public health issue, precautions and reactions will be shaped by government policies, I doubt that the public would allow such a problem to be dealt with in a laissez faire manner with charity as a means to help those who cannot afford a vaccine.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Well, the first people with access to vaccinations would be in health care, so that works.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Only if we start engaging in something as apparently amoral as putting importance as a factor in dealing out vaccine.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

Then your rationale for your choice I'm guessing is natural selection.

Should that determine public policy in a health crisis?

How do you apply that as public policy... first come first served? Would that be the fairest and safest way to handle vaccinations?
I dont make or enforce natural selection, though. I can allow it, which is possibly what you meant? I dont like the right of life being a human choice. I dont have faith in people being able to make such a decision. However, we frequently need to, due to what we've done with our development. How we do that is as fraught with inconsistancies as my views might seem to be to you or someone else. I dont believe that what I think is any more or less worthy than what is presently in place, and we frankly need something to rationalise with when we have limited resources and a need which outweighs it because of our man made need to fix things to our own liking or comfort.

Anyhow, this is all getting entirely off topic.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Only if we start engaging in something as apparently amoral as putting importance as a factor in dealing out vaccine.
nice.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM
So right now I'm priority #1 but as of September I'll be priority #4.

I think the elderly should be at the bottom of the list, but at the same time, healthy adults, say 18-50 need to be ahead of children. If you're talking about an epidemic that wipes out tens or even hundreds of millions, a 4 year old won't contribute much to the recovery process but a 22 year old will. So I'd prioritize adults over kids, yeah. Just not elderly adults.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I dont make or enforce natural selection, though. I can allow it, which is possibly what you meant? I dont like the right of life being a human choice. I dont have faith in people being able to make such a decision. However, we frequently need to, due to what we've done with our development. How we do that is as fraught with inconsistancies as my views might seem to be to you or someone else. I dont believe that what I think is any more or less worthy than what is presently in place, and we frankly need something to rationalise with when we have limited resources and a need which outweighs it because of our man made need to fix things to our own liking or comfort.

Anyhow, this is all getting entirely off topic.
Yes that's what I meant. And I'm very with you on the discomfort factor on how these types of life/death decisions are made based on relative worth to society. At the personal level though, if one of those 2 people was family (i.e. daughter or mother) and the other was not...well...not so objective a decision anymore.

Although it seems in Canada, the elderly are deemed more worthy than young adults since it can be effectively argued that young adults are far more at risk of dying in high numbers than are the elderly.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Excellent discussion all!

The reality is that once a list is made, some group will be at the bottom and the very same article could be written arguing that it is "not fair" to that particular group.

Thus we are forced to make a choice, including making "no choice" as our choice.

This confronts us with task of making hard decisions - something that can wrestled with on a variety of topics.

Perhaps the concept of "high risk" should be thought through a little more, together with the reason from supplying the vaccine. Are we trying to prevent deaths, or are we trying to reduce a fear of harm from the flu?