Flu kills 4 children in Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
this is my first real post here....hope its kinda in the right place
http://www.msnbc.com/news/998498.asp?cp1=1

FAMILY MEMBERS identified the Larimer victim as 8-year-old Joseph David Williams of Wellington, who died Monday.
?It happened so quick and so sudden,? Joseph?s father, Scott Williams, said Tuesday. ?He was fine. He wasn?t even that sick.?
A 15-year-old who had the flu died at Children?s last week and was believed to be the first flu death in the state this season.
That child and the 2-year-old had medical conditions that made flu especially dangerous to them, health officials said. The other two children had been healthy.

While it?s mostly the elderly who die of the flu, children are often hospitalized with it, and there is some indication that the flu is an underreported cause of death in children, said Dr. Ned Calonge, Colorado?s chief medical officer.
?We had child deaths last year, but not this many and not this close together,? Calonge said, adding that he did not know whether the children who died had been vaccinated.

WORSE-THAN-NORMAL FLU SEASON
Last week, officials at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta warned that this flu season could be worse than usual, partly because this year?s vaccine does not exactly match the strain doctors are seeing so far. The virus changes slightly over time, a change doctors call ?drift,? which is why doctors suggest getting a new flu shot every year.

In an average year, the disease infects up to 20 percent of the U.S. population, killing about 36,000 Americans and hospitalizing 114,000.
Colorado has had 3,399 confirmed cases of the flu this season, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment said Tuesday. That included more than 1,100 cases reported between Thursday and Monday, the most dramatic surge in the virus in at least five years.

?It?s crazy,? said Denver pediatrician Dean Prina, who saw 40 children Monday. ?It started earlier this year and seems more intense. It?s among the worst flu seasons I?ve seen in my 23 years.?
Colorado, Texas and Nevada have the most widespread outbreaks so far, according to the CDC.
Officials said the actual number of cases is probably much higher than the reported number because most adults with the virus don?t see a doctor.

:sad:

That's so sad. :(. My condolances to the kids' families.

A lot of kids and teachers at my sister's school here have been going home sick as of late. Luckily, it hasn't gotten that severe, but still...

In fact, the other day a school in a nearby town was closed due to the fact that there were so many people home sick.

That's just crazy.

Angela

I heard this morning that the vaccine for this years strain of flu may not be as effective because the virus has already mutated to another form that the flu shot is not fully effective on. This just 6 months after the vaccine was developed. With this said the CDC says it is still better to have it - than not. The report states it will still lessen the severity of the flu. This is scary. I had a flu shot 3 wks ago and sure as hell hope it works to some degree. (by the way no side effects from the shot and no "slight case of the flu" that alot of people say will happen.) GET A FLU SHOT PEOPLE!!

sue4u2 is correct: the new, more violent flu strain--Influenza A--wasn't part of the equation when the flu vaccines were made, so a flu shot won't protect you against this strain...but it IS still good to get a shot.

And NO the shot canNOT give you the flu. Often, people get shots and then, when they get sick soon after, they think that it was the shot that made them sick...but what has happened is that they've been exposed to the flu before they got the shot and it just incubated (somtimes for 2 weeks, i guess) right through the time they got the shot.

So get those shots people! Avoid the :barf:

Back
Top Bottom