Florida execution takes much longer than usual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the rockin edge

Blue Crack Addict
JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP) -- It seemed like Angel Nieves Diaz would never die.

Two executioners injected him with three chemicals that were supposed to do the job in a few minutes.

But 10 minutes later, he was still alive, his eyes darting back at the 25 witnesses.

Diaz shuddered several times, but continued moving and breathing for nearly half an hour.

He finally died 34 minutes after the execution began.

I've witnessed all 20 lethal injections in Florida.

In most cases, the inmate is unconscious in three to five minutes and dies in 10 to 15 minutes.

But Diaz, who was condemned for shooting the manager of a Miami topless club in 1979, needed a rare second dose of chemicals Wednesday before dying.

Seconds after the chemicals began flowing, Diaz looked up, blinked several times and appeared to be mouthing words, perhaps a prayer, some suggested.

A minute later, he began grimacing, later licking his lips and blowing. He appeared to move for 24 minutes after the first injection...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/14/diaz.execution.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

lovely, just lovely.

they should use an electric chair next time

one murder , and they give him a death sentence ??!!
where's the freakin logic here
what about all those maniacs with multiple murders ??

So a guy takes half an hour to die (extraordinarily painfully, might I add), all because someone got a nosebleed on the chair?

Someone please explain the logic of this to me.

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned public hanging these days?

:sarcasm:

Although, if you have to have a death penalty then hanging would be as quick and painless as anything...

They need to stop doing this. Killing people isn't going to prevent murder, and I think life imprisonment is more severe than death. Death is easier.

Or just put a bullet in their head. Isn't that fast?

Really though I am ashamed to live in a country that continues this barbaric practice.

I am ashamed murderes get life in prison for taking People(s) lives.

Thats all I will say. Many of you know how I feel about this. :|

coemgen said:
Yet another reason why capital punishment should be abolished.

Not really. If you could GUARANTEE 100% that he was guilty, then a slow painful death is as good as any death.

But you can't GUARANTEE it. And that is the only reason why it should be abolished.

If he didn't want to do the time he shouldn't have done the crime. Simple as that. He got about as much respect for his life as he showed for his victim's. Seems fair to me. :up:

No. It makes perfect sense. If the punishment for killing someone is death and they still go ahead and do it then they basically killed themselves.

The only people who should be afraid of capital punishment are criminals themselves.

BrownEyedBoy said:
It makes perfect sense.

Yeah, bloodthirsty vengeance makes so much more sense than rehabilitation and valuing life, doesn't it?

I would love to know why we should not value human life just because Convicted Murderer X did not. Or in other words, why stoop to their level?

If the punishment for killing someone is death and they still go ahead and do it then they basically killed themselves.

The only people who should be afraid of capital punishment are criminals themselves.

And yet capital punishment has not worked as a deterrent and never has. Your argument has been by others tried time and time again and has long since been found wanting. Find a more effective method of deterring crime.

BrownEyedBoy said:
No. It makes perfect sense. If the punishment for killing someone is death and they still go ahead and do it then they basically killed themselves.

You're assuming that when people kill that they are thinking rationally. I don't know any exact numbers, but I would venture to say that a majority of them are crimes of passion - where the thought of punishment is furthest from a killer's mind. You could have punishment be the killing of the murderer's family and murders would still occur. Rage does some bad things to people's heads.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...

I find it absolutely horrifyingly sad that conservatives (in general) are wholly against "taking the life" of an unborn fetus, but yet when it comes to living, breathing people they throw life away as if it's worthless.

I don't want this to turn into a discussion on abortion, it is just an observation. That's all.

DaveC said:

I find it absolutely horrifyingly sad that conservatives (in general) are wholly against "taking the life" of an unborn fetus, but yet when it comes to living, breathing people they throw life away as if it's worthless.

I don't want this to turn into a discussion on abortion, it is just an observation. That's all.

Babies dont have a choice. People who commit murder do.

DaveC said:

I'm with you on this, but I'm against abortion though.

The DP is wrong for a crap load of reasons. I was in Amnesty Int. in college and we had a lady who came and spoke at the university against the dp from the victim's perspective. Her pregnant sister and brother-in-law were murdered. She gave a long list of reasons why it's crap, but the ultimate was she knew it wouldn't bring her sister back and she didn't want her sister's life to be remembered by another death or for the killer's family to go through what she was going through.

The DP is flawed and when you're dealing with human life, you shouldn't use a flawed system like that.
It's been proven racist.
The poor are often killed more.
There's the issues of what age is old enough for it and what degree of mental illness or retardation should count.
It's also way more expensive to society, if that means anything.

coemgen said:

I'm with you on this, but I'm against abortion though.

The DP is wrong for a crap load of reasons. I was in Amnesty Int. in college and we had a lady who came and spoke at the university against the dp from the victim's perspective. Her pregnant sister and brother-in-law were murdered. She gave a long list of reasons why it's crap, but the ultimate was she knew it wouldn't bring her sister back and she didn't want her sister's life to be remembered by another death or for the killer's family to go through what she was going through.

I am sorry I dont feel that way. It's my own opinion. If someone killed my brother or any family memeber, that person better get the DP or I will kill him/her myself.

dazzlingamy said:
^ and that is why society is fucked.

Im sorry, but capital punishment is disgusting and we shouldn't kill someone for killing someone else. IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE.

I believe that people who take the life of another on purpose, should go to goal for the rest of their life.

No, dont ever be sorry, Amy. It IS fucked. So unbelievably fucked that it is beyond comprehension the attitudes of you all who support the death penalty. Honestly, what kind of people are you to wish death on another human? Some of you make my skin absolutely crawl.

Back
Top Bottom