Florida execution takes much longer than usual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BrownEyedBoy said:
But if the punishment had been harsh enough at least it would have disencouraged later crimes somewhat.

But it doesn't. At least not in the cases this thread is referring to. Dictatorship and the likes is an entirely different animal. It doesn't even apply here so why keep bringing it up? It has no credibility for this debate. The death penalty does not deter crime in the USA.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Not necessarilly. But if the punishment had been harsh enough at least it would have disencouraged later crimes somewhat.

Where do you get this from? There is no evidence that proves this.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Where do you get this? You think death is better than life in prison? I thought you didn't care about their well being?

Look, there is no 100% way of knowing, so until then how can there be an absolute punishment? ANSWER THAT? Answer without an emotional response...

A person who deals drugs and is arressted is put in jail for a certain amout of time. People who murder are either A) put in prison for life or B) executed for the murders.

Listen I know that executing will not bring back your loved one, but knowing the person who killed a family member is still alive is so wrong in everyway. Why should I think about how his family will go through. It's there fault for not raising there child right.

And lethal injection is not as bad as bludgeoning someone to death and if for some reason there still alive but die in a few hours or days from the trauma, dont you think thats worse than sticking a needle in the arm and dying in 20 minutes? Execution is the last form of punishment. You must have done something reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly bad to deserve it.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Then what was it? What was the reason behind it? Whatever it was, let´s do it.

I´m all for eliminating crime by ANY means necessary. I don´t see how anyone besides a criminal would not want that.

Did you ever take a closer look at dictatorship, in your country or anywhere else?

People got killed there just for being against the dictator, or thinking differently.

It's not as simple as do this, get that, like you think.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I really wish human rights wouldn't be such an obstacle for harsh punishments. It would give everybody a safer enviornment to live in.

Why are you a U2 fan? I know this is not directly related to the argument, but really, have you ever listened to their lyrics? Have you ever seen a concert? Are you one of the people who takes a piss during the Miss Sarajevo speech and then talks loudly through the song?

BrownEyedBoy said:
Not necessarilly. But if the punishment had been harsh enough at least it would have disencouraged later crimes somewhat.

Death penalty is the harshest punishment one can think of.

Did that ever stop killing at all.

Like I said, criminals don't think about the consequences while they commit any crimes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Where do you get this from? There is no evidence that proves this.

:banghead:

You know what? You´re right. Harsher punishments don´t stop most people from committing huge crimes. People don´t rob jewlery stores or banks just because of their good will not because of punishments...

Justin24 said:

A person who deals drugs and is arressted is put in jail for a certain amout of time. People who murder are either A) put in prison for life or B) executed for the murders.

Listen I know that executing will not bring back your loved one, but knowing the person who killed a family member is still alive is so wrong in everyway. Why should I think about how his family will go through. It's there fault for not raising there child right.

And lethal injection is not as bad as bludgeoning someone to death and if for some reason there still alive but die in a few hours or days from the trauma, dont you think thats worse than sticking a needle in the arm and dying in 20 minutes? Execution is the last form of punishment. You must have done something reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly bad to deserve it.

Keep trying, your response is still as emotionally based as it gets....

Justin24 said:

You did exactly what I asked you not to do, you answered with an emotional response and never addressed the real question at hand.

So I'll ask again: there is no 100% way of knowing, so until then how can there be an absolute punishment?

Varitek said:

Why are you a U2 fan? I know this is not directly related to the argument, but really, have you ever listened to their lyrics? Have you ever seen a concert? Are you one of the people who takes a piss during the Miss Sarajevo speech and then talks loudly through the song?

Human rights are for those who respect their neighbor´s human rights.

It´s only fair.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Human rights are for those who respect their neighbor´s human rights.

It´s only fair.

Then you're not talking about human RIGHTS. If you use the word "right" you have to assume EVERYONE gets it regardless of what they are dealing out to others or if they deserve it...

A_Wanderer said:

I would be interested if a reversable coma could be induced as punishment long term; if it is even feesible or could be done without serious brain damage to get the same effect in a reversable manner.

This is a pretty scary as an idea. To tamper with somebody's health on the level of creating living zombies for what reason? As others have said, the point of punishment is also rehabilitation. Well, if someone is in a coma, there goes rehabilitation. And further, I do believe in a punitive aspect of punishment, in fact aside from my objection to the death penalty on moral grounds I believe that life in prison is cheaper and harsher. If someone could basically go to sleep and wake up a few years older, rather than suffer the solitude and hardship of prison, how is that much of a punishment at all?

BrownEyedBoy said:

:banghead:

You know what? You´re right. Harsher punishments don´t stop most people from committing huge crimes. People don´t rob jewlery stores or banks just because of their good will not because of punishments...

Bang your head all you want, your education on this subject is poor.

And this response makes no sense. Why haven't you ever mugged someone? Because of your understanding of what's right or wrong, you don't need to, or is just because you don't want to risk jailtime?

I did not answer emoitonally.

Absolute punishment is execution, why because they commited the worst crime imaginable MURDER! And for that they must face that absolute punishment.

We were given (by god if your a believe) a right to judge people as we see fit. even if we did not execute do you think murder would go down?? no. Wiil prisons continue to fill up leading to more prisons yes.

Justin24 said:
I did not answer emoitonally.

:lol: That's all it was.

Justin24 said:

Absolute punishment is execution, why because they commited the worst crime imaginable MURDER! And for that they must face that absolute punishment.

You are STILL avoiding the question, and I think we know why you can't answer it.

100% Justin!!! Why can't you answer that?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:lol: That's all it was.

You are STILL avoiding the question, and I think we know why you can't answer it.

100% Justin!!! Why can't you answer that?

When Tookie Williams was executed. I felt no remorse. I am glad the SOB is dead, when I hear that there is another execution happening and I hear about his/her crime they commited. I am happy they are getting the right punishement.

You obviously feel for these criminals who are going to be executed, which is strange to me.

Your answer for absolute punishment is GOD's judgement I am guessing. God has no problem killing, so whats the difference? People say we play god by executing, when in reallity we are only getting rid of the bad in this world.

Tookie Williams demonstrated remorse, more than that he was making a positive contribution to society. Now he'd made a huge, huge negative impact before that, but he should have been allowed to continue making a positive contribution to try to repay his debt to society. Dead, his debt still stands.

But the question was that there is never really 100 per cent safety that no innocent people will get executed.

Even with having DNA!

Justin24 said:

Wiil prisons continue to fill up leading to more prisons yes.

I don't have numbers, but I'm willing to bet that the number of people on death row is so marginal and insignificant compared to the total population of prisons it's not even worth pointing this out.

You want to execute them to make room for more inmates?

^ Agree with Liesje. The reasons prisons continue to fill up, leading to more prisons, are deeply ingrained in society: poverty, lack of social mobility and good education systems, and poor rehabilitation.

Do you really believe that such a great number of people are inherently bad/evil?

Justin and BrownEyedBoy, what led you to these conclusions you've made? I've never read anything which aligns with the things you've said.

Justin24 said:

When Tookie Williams was executed. I felt no remorse. I am glad the SOB is dead, when I hear that there is another execution happening and I hear about his/her crime they commited. I am happy they are getting the right punishement.

You obviously feel for these criminals who are going to be executed, which is strange to me.

Your answer for absolute punishment is GOD's judgement I am guessing. God has no problem killing, so whats the difference? People say we play god by executing, when in reallity we are only getting rid of the bad in this world.

Why can't you answer the question???!!!! WHY???

If you don't want to feel remorese for someone, then fine, I'm not asking you to.

I'm feeling for those that are on death row who are innocent. As long as that can still happen there should be no death row.

Why can't you answer that? No more emotional responses!!!

Back
Top Bottom