Flip Flop Flap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
As long as they didn't wear white tube socks w/ them like K Fed, I don't see what the big deal is. As long as they had nice clean feet and toenails too :wink: Honestly I wouldn't wear flip flops to the WH though.

CHICAGO - There's a flip-flop controversy at the White House, and this one has nothing to do withPresident Bush and John Kerry.

A photo of Northwestern University's national championship women's lacrosse team, taken during the athletes' visit to the White House last week, shows four of the nine women in the front row wearing flip-flop sandals along with their dresses and skirts.

The choice of footwear has prompted a mini-controversy — a flip-flop flap, if you will.

A front-page story in the Chicago Tribune included the headline "YOU WORE FLIP-FLOPS TO THE WHITE HOUSE?!" inspired by an e-mail sent to player Kate Darmody from her older brother after he saw the photo on the team's Web site.

Family members of other players expressed similar dismay, insisting the summer footwear staple was too casual for a visit with the president.

"Don't even ask me about the flip-flops," said the mother of player Aly Josephs. "It mortified me."

During an appearance Monday on NBC's "Today," Darmody and teammate Shelby Chlopak said players planned to auction off the flip-flops they wore to the White House, with the proceeds to go toward a fund for a 10-year-old girl with a brain tumor.

The women have defended their attire, arguing they wore a dressier version of the casual sandal.

"Nobody was wearing old beach flip-flops," said Josephs, who wore a $16 brown pair with rhinestones.

Darmody, 22, added: "I tried to think of something that would go well with my outfit and at the same time not be that uncomfortable. But at the same time not disrespect the White House."

In 2001, Bush's daughter Jenna, then 19, wore black flip-flops in court, along with pink capri pants and a sleeveless black shirt, when she pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

The term "flip-flop" was used heavily during last fall's presidential debates when Bush repeatedly accused Democratic opponent Kerry of switching positions on issues.

You can get some very fancy flip-flops nowadays, so I can see why they wore them. There are strappy summer heels that show just as much as a flip flop, so where's the difference.

I've started wearing them everywhere, too. :drool:

Don't get me wrong, I love my flip flops. Other than going to the gym that's all I wear all summer long really. BUT! I love shoes too much to wear them to the White House. Plus my mother would kill me. :yikes:

I don't care how bedazzled they are, flip flops are flip flops. They are foam shoes people. Foam. :|

Not all of them are foam. I have them in leather, bamboo, wood, etc.

How different are they than a kitten heeled mule?

Granted, I wouldn't wear them to the White House either--I'd be embarressed by the noise I made while walking--but really, some of (dear God, I'm going to say it) this season's flip-flops are more ornate than heels.

I hate shopping for shoes, so maybe that's why. :laugh:

The real question is, would you want GWB looking at your toes? :wink: I would wear four inch heels so I could tower over him (how tall is he anyway?)

Maybe no matter how fancy they are, flip flops still seem like beach shoes to most people.

nbcrusader said:
Respect for decorum and other such formalities are lost on the younger generations.

I'm 37, hardly the "younger generation". And I certainly do believe in decorum and other scuh formalities. In fact, I'm always looking for an opprtunity to dress up nice.

However, compared to issues of the day, I don't understand why anyone would make such a big deal over this.

I guess we could overlook a number of social niceties if we simply focus on the issues of the day.

It may seem insignificant, but I believe respect for decorum is a basic building block (one of many) in a civilized society.

Flip flops are suitable for any occassion. They are the perfect footware.

nbcrusader said:
I guess we could overlook a number of social niceties if we simply focus on the issues of the day.

It may seem insignificant, but I believe respect for decorum is a basic building block (one of many) in a civilized society.

I agree with you, but I don't see why any newspaper space was wasted on this issue at all.

nbcrusader said:
Respect for decorum and other such formalities are lost on the younger generations.

And I think hanging onto and stressing some formalities to be outdated and certainly useless for growth.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe what you say to be true to a certain extent. But I also see where many tie "respect for decorum" to equal morality by many, and that the decorum becomes the issue rather than the what's under the decorum, so to speak. I guess what I'm trying to say is it goes both ways. The "elder" may put too much emphasis and will not be willing to evolve. The "young" will establish their own identities, but may not grow up...

That may not be clear, but I have a few examples in mind, it would be an interesting thread.

18492080.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And I think hanging onto and stressing some formalities to be outdated and certainly useless for growth.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe what you say to be true to a certain extent. But I also see where many tie "respect for decorum" to equal morality by many, and that the decorum becomes the issue rather than the what's under the decorum, so to speak. I guess what I'm trying to say is it goes both ways. The "elder" may put too much emphasis and will not be willing to evolve. The "young" will establish their own identities, but may not grow up...

That may not be clear, but I have a few examples in mind, it would be an interesting thread.

I understand what you are saying. I don't know if it should be tied to morality, but it should be tied to civility.

The biggest problem is that the principles behind such decorum are never taught or explained.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think some may be showing a little too much cleavage for the white house.:wink:

Pffft....during the clinton Admin., that would have gotten you an internship! [/off color comment]

I would not have noticed if it wasn't brought up. I really believe this is the White House's "Smoke and Mirrors" tactic to get around the Rove controversy!

zoney! said:

Pffft....during the clinton Admin., that would have gotten you an internship! [/off color comment]

I almost made a comment like except when Clinton's in office, but I thought I'd sit back and wait to see how long it took for someone else to do it...21 minutes!!!

Back
Top Bottom