Flight 93 National Memorial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/07/pennsylvania.memorial.ap/index.html

http://www.flight93memorialproject.org/

finalist_home.jpg

4 years ago Sunday..

The black slate plaza has a low slanted wall, containing niches, in which visitors can leave tributes. The crash site will be planted with grasses bulbes and flowering plants, that will alternately bloom throughout the year.

capt.wx12109072227.flight_93_memorial_wx121.jpg

capt.wx11809072212.flight_93_memorial_wx118.jpg

there's also a movie about United 93 on the Discovery Channel Sunday night

"On the fourth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the Discovery Channel flies viewers into the heart of darkness in "The Flight That Fought Back'' (Sunday at 9 p.m.).

Relying on government reports, interviews with families and friends and audio recordings, the two-hour docudrama attempts to re-create the final moments of United Airlines Flight 93"

I live 40 miles from where the Flight 93 when down, and this Memorial will be a great honor to those who died on that terrible day. I have been at the site and right now there is just a fence with all kinds of memorabilia that people bring to the site. There is also a stone that has all the names of those who were on the flight.

Thanks, MrsSpringsteen for posting this thread, and also for the info on the movie.

:( my thoughts exactly, angie.

when i saw the commercial for the movie, i thought, wow, has it been long enough already that we are ready to watch something like that on tv?

hopefully since it's the Discovery Channel it will be tastefully done

I don't know, maybe we need to be reminded of what those people went through and what they tried to do. I know we don't need a TV movie to do that, but sometimes I worry that people will forget.

I saw a commercial for that last night. I'm having very bad feelings about it. I just hope they cleared it with all of the families.

I don't know, dramatic recreations of tragedies that are still so raw and fresh in our minds, it doesn't seem right to me. Of course, we should always remember, but perhaps not to the extent of making a made-for-cable film out of it.

I thought the movie was well done, and it really brought home for me how awe inspiring those people are. Even though I've heard the stories many times, to see it in that way brought it all together in a strange way.

I also learned a few things I didn't know before. The family members were also so inspiring.

It makes you wonder, would I be able to do that..try to stop the hijackers, would I call my loved ones? So many things go through your head just imagining it.

When I was going through a tough time someone gave me the book by Lisa Beamer, Let's Roll. I could never bring myself to read it, hopefully now I can.

I also thought The movie was well done. My heart went out to the Hero's' famlies.

Next time when I go to see the site again it will be even more than inspiring, and I'll not only think of just of the Hero's on that plane, but also of those they left behind. :(

I think that the symbol itself may not be for the best in the case, however unintentional it may have been in it's choosing it does have strong associations with Islam since the days of the Ottoman Empire. Im not going to bother making a fuss, if thats what the people want then so be it.

I saw the commercial for the movie...I don't know, it seems like a documentary. The only thing I don't like is that they have to do dramatic reenactments, I hate that especially when it's something like this.

Hopefully I'll see the memorial soon, I saw the Pentagon in DC in December of that year. The story of Flight 93 fills me with so much sadness, but also a sort of pride and admiration for what these people did.

The politician who has complained about the crescent is the same guy who said something to the effect of "taking out" mosques ( I'm not sure of his exact quotes..I read it in my paper, I'd have to try to find an article)

I think it's a shame that the architect of this memorial is giving in to him. I wonder how many people would have even thought of it, I didn't

The movie is haunting.. the way they effectively intertwined the re-enactments w/ the actual phone calls, etc. For me it brought it to life so to speak in a way that nothing else had.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-09152005-541966.html

Paul Murdoch, the architect of the planned national memorial in rural Pennsylvania, said Wednesday he is willing to make adjustments in the upcoming weeks to satisfy critics.

The shape of the memorial is a circle broken by the flight pattern of the plane, which supporters have said follows the topography of the area.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., sent a letter Tuesday to National Park Service Director Fran Mainella, saying the shape has been questioned "because of the crescent's prominent use as a symbol in Islam - and the fact that the hijackers were radical Islamists."

The National Park Service has been inundated with calls complaining about the shape, and it has been frequently criticized in blogs.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162795,00.html

"Well, what if you said something like — if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites," Tancredo answered.

"You're talking about bombing Mecca," Campbell said.

"Yeah," Tancredo responded. "

Back
Top Bottom