Flag Burning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what would that special something be for you? As Irvine said Our countries are different and we have symbols that mean alot to us.

Justin24 said:
what would that special something be for you? As Irvine said Our countries are different and we have symbols that mean alot to us.

That didn't answer my questions.

But alright, someone earlier in this thread mentioned that burning crosses is legal. Why should that be legal but burning the flag not? I personally would be a bit more offended by that than a flag burning, though still wouldn't care as I don't see what burning a symbol really accomplishes (except intimidation in some circumstances).

And I have symbols that mean a lot to me, but I still wouldn't care if someone burnt the silver fern or the New Zealand All Blacks shirt. It's just a symbol and I've got more important things to worry about than whether someone feels like burning a symbol as some kind of ineffective protest.

Axver said:

A lot of things represent much more. Shall we ban burning anything that's symbolic of something more? If not, where shall we draw the line? Why is a nation's flag more special than something else?

I actually agree with this. While I abhor the idea of burning the flag, especially because I am a part-time soldier that polishes the shining new plaques of those California National Guardsmen that have been killed in Iraq every month; and also because I know that it is possible that one day my wife and two kids may receive the flag that draped my own coffin– I can’t bring myself to make this an actual crime …as hurtful as it is.

Those who burn the American flag say so much more about themselves, than they do America.

If the flag has no meaning, and people don't see it a representation of their country why is there a need for people burn them in the first place............if it means nothing.

Got a couple of questions..
Who knows exactly where American flags are made?
Are they made in the US by suitably paid and patriotic women with nimble fingers who sew them reverently? Or are they made in a Taiwanese sweatshop?
Does this even matter?

Just how important is the flag, anyway? Is it wholly symbolic, and therefore unable to be tainted by the actions of someone with a zippo, or is the actual flag itself up there with the shroud of turin as a sacred cloth?

Interesting point AEON. The principles behind hate law legislation, which were faulty from the beginning, could allow charges to be brought if the flag burning was done in connection with the commission of another crime. Perhaps we can test this out at the next WTO or G8 gathering.

nbcrusader said:
Interesting point AEON. The principles behind hate law legislation, which were faulty from the beginning, could allow charges to be brought if the flag burning was done in connection with the commission of another crime. Perhaps we can test this out at the next WTO or G8 gathering.

Organized anarchy movements...gotta love it...

AEON said:

But "Americans" are individuals. And the flag does represent my national origin.

Also, I am curious - would it be considered a hate crime to burn the Rainbow Flag?
You have no right to not be offended, the instant that you rob free speech in the name of feelings you have forfeited your liberties.

For the record I disagree extremely strongly with hate crime laws because the acts in and of themselves are punishable, treating them differently on the basis of the victims race or sexual orientation ether with positive or negative reasons is wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom