Flag burning??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Flag burning???

Ok I have a question.

It seems these days burning the US flag is probably the biggest sin one can commit to their country. It use to be that burning the flag was a sign of protest now it will guarantee you a seat in prison.

But here's my question. Years ago, many many years ago I was a boy scout and we were taught that if a flag touches the ground or is torn etc that to properly "bury" the flag your duty was to burn the flag. Now to all you boy scouts out there, am I remembering this wrong or was that the case? Have things changed now?

Old 06-04-2005, 04:22 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:06 AM
I did Scouts but we did not have to do much more with the flag than know how to fold it and say mottos for God, Queen and Country.

Are you sure that flag burning will "guarantee you a seat in prison" in the United States. I was under the impression that it was still protected speech.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Are you sure that flag burning will "guarantee you a seat in prison" in the United States. I was under the impression that it was still protected speech.
That was partly tongue in cheek given the whole environment of fear we live in today here in the states, but I may be wrong but there was a push for a law. I'm not sure if it passed or not.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:37 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:06 PM
I know they were considering a constitutional amendment for it along with all the other silly amendments they were considering.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 AM
That's right, they considered an amendment to the Constitution to make it possible to send flag-burners to jail. I personally deplore flag-burning, but I think it should be protected as freedom of speech.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:06 PM
As far as I know, you cant' burn a flag as part of a protest.
It is reccomended to burn a flag to dispose of it properly. This would prevent any misteatment such as it being left in a landfill somewhere or in garbage can.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Yes, you can burn the flag in protest all you want. It's constitutionally protected speech, despite what any conservative will try and tell you otherwise.

But here's the deal: it happens maybe once or twice a decade in the U.S. Outside the U.S. like in the Middle East countries, it will continue to happen. When that amendment came up, it was the epitome of "diversion legislation," because our Republican legislators are a bunch of morons who want their salaries and prestige, but want nothing to do with actually fixing problems.

Melon
Old 06-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think it's a silly thing. It's just a piece of cloth.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Flag burning???

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But here's my question. Years ago, many many years ago I was a boy scout and we were taught that if a flag touches the ground or is torn etc that to properly "bury" the flag your duty was to burn the flag. Now to all you boy scouts out there, am I remembering this wrong or was that the case? Have things changed now?
I'm not a scout, but I was taught the same thing. I mean, we didn't actually burn or bury the flag, but it was to get us to show some respect. As a child I was always super careful w/ our large flag if was helping my dad put it up. If the flag stand broke, we'd make sure it wouldn't fall. We were/are also very considerate of my grandpa's folded flag (the one the family gets when a soldier dies) and I don't think that flag has ever been on the ground or unfolded. In that case, it's more of our showing respect towards my grandpa and what he had to go through as such a young man (18) serving in WWII and helping to liberate a concentration camp. I suppose for me it's more about showing respect to our leaders and soldiers than being obsessively patriotic. It is probably mroe significant when the flags themselves have a deeper meaning.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Yes, you can burn the flag in protest all you want. It's constitutionally protected speech, despite what any conservative will try and tell you otherwise.
Hmmm...somehow I don't think it was conservatives that prosecuted Chuck Spingola for burning a flag during a protest in Columbus Ohio - the gay pride flag. He was convicted, by the way.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
To some people, it's much much more. Say you had an urn with the ashes of a close relative. Would you think "it's just some ash" and not be extra careful?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Hmmm...somehow I don't think it was conservatives that prosecuted Chuck Spingola for burning a flag during a protest in Columbus Ohio - the gay pride flag. He was convicted, by the way.
What was he convicted of, BTW? Burning a gay pride flag isn't illegal in itself. Ethnic intimidation is illegal. Try burning a cross in someone's front yard and see what you'll get.

The American flag, however, is officially neutral. It's an act of protest against the government, not any specific individual, race or religion. And protest against the government is part of the American tradition--that's why American flag burning is constitutionally protected.

Melon
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Before we start another flame war here (pun intended), let's remember one thing:

American flags are burned publically maybe once or twice a decade, at most. Getting all furious over something that happens so infrequently isn't worth our effort.

Melon
Old 06-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Old 06-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

To some people, it's much much more. Say you had an urn with the ashes of a close relative. Would you think "it's just some ash" and not be extra careful?
Actualy, there is more simularity between a flag and a person as you think. they both tend to go with the direction of the wind.