Flag burning??? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 11:03 AM
I'm never prouder to be an American than when I see someone burning the American flag without consequence. Those who would take that right away really don't have a clue.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Hate crimes are NOT thought crimes. Hate crimes are hate actions, and are punished accordingly.

Melon
No. Assault and battary is a crime "of action" and should be punished accordingly. Regardless of perpetrator or victim - people on people crime should be punished.

Adding on a "hate crime" count is to punish a separate thought behind the action. That is troubling. That is 1984.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

No. Assault and battary is a crime "of action" and should be punished accordingly. Regardless of perpetrator or victim - people on people crime should be punished.

Adding on a "hate crime" count is to punish a separate thought behind the action. That is troubling. That is 1984.
If there is an attack and the attacker leaves derogatory words left at the scene, then there is sense of premeditation and should be tried as a hate crime.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

If there is an attack and the attacker leaves derogatory words left at the scene, then there is sense of premeditation and should be tried as a hate crime.
no, then it should be treated as a premeditated crime, which is more severe than aggravated assault. i agree with nbcrusader on this one. as much as i hate bigroty and sympathize with the intent, the concept is flawed.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Well, let's follow that logic. Murder is tried and convicted, according to several criteria, including whether it was premeditated or not. Premeditated murder is given the most severe penalty. Is that "1984"? Is that punishing a "thought crime"?

Melon
Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #81
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

no, then it should be treated as a premeditated crime, which is more severe than aggravated assault. i agree with nbcrusader on this one. as much as i hate bigroty and sympathize with the intent, the concept is flawed.
Ok I could have used different terminology. Premedition would be impossible to prove because many hate crimes would happen to the first "target" and not necessarily a specific individual. Now I totally agree that the term hate crime has been over used. When a white man and a black get in a fight it isn't exactly motivated by race, but if there is significant evidence that race, religion, sexuality played a role then the crime needs to be charged as a hate crime.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, let's follow that logic. Murder is tried and convicted, according to several criteria, including whether it was premeditated or not. Premeditated murder is given the most severe penalty. Is that "1984"? Is that punishing a "thought crime"?
An age old distinction between acts that result in death of a person, intentional acts that result in the death of a person and intentional acts that intentionally result in the death of a person.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
An age old distinction between acts that result in death of a person, intentional acts that result in the death of a person and intentional acts that intentionally result in the death of a person.
Well, those are "thought crimes," are they not? Or is the biggest issue of all the desire to maintain the previous status quo? I know America, traditionally, has an aversion to change of any kind.

Melon
Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So if a man beating down another man with intent and malice is premeditated battery (whatever the actual charge may be)

then why does it need to be qualifed if the same act occurs, and it occurs because of bigotry? Why is it not the same eact charge?

Why is bigotry with violence more distinguishable than mere violence? Why is there a qualification?

Just asking. To me, I would agree with NBCrusader at this point.

And perhaps I am ignorant to the reasons for the qualifications of premeditation, be it because of revenge or bigotry, shouldn't the law just prosecute them the same way?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

The Bible is a piece of paper. Pardon me while I wipe my ass with the Book of Leviticus.

Melon
Melon, the Bible is not the paper that holds it. Go ahead and wipe your ass with the entire thing if you need to.

That book you hold in your hands is not sacred. It's just paper.

However, the words inside and the message they deliver are sacred and very wise.

Wiping your ass with the paper that it is printed on won't make it less wise or life-changing.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I hope you realize I was being sarcastic. I own about three or four Bibles of various translations, including a copy of "The Message," a text on the "Dead Sea Scrolls" and the Gnostic "Dag Hammadi."

I'm also pleased that I found an online source for the surviving remnants of the Zoroastrian "Avesta." I'm very interested in religion, in spite of my displeasure with conservative-to-mainstream Christianity and my general malaise with mainstream-to-liberal Christianity.

Melon
Old 06-07-2005, 04:53 AM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
So if a man beating down another man with intent and malice is premeditated battery (whatever the actual charge may be)

then why does it need to be qualifed if the same act occurs, and it occurs because of bigotry? Why is it not the same eact charge?

Why is bigotry with violence more distinguishable than mere violence? Why is there a qualification?

Just asking. To me, I would agree with NBCrusader at this point.

And perhaps I am ignorant to the reasons for the qualifications of premeditation, be it because of revenge or bigotry, shouldn't the law just prosecute them the same way?
Take a look at the differences between vandalism spray painting your name on a billboard and spray painting racial slurs on someone's house and threatening them to leave. If we didn't have the qualifications, then they would both just be vandalism.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #88
Refugee

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

To some people, it's much much more. Say you had an urn with the ashes of a close relative. Would you think "it's just some ash" and not be extra careful?
its kinda sad in some ways.. because once we start loving "the flag"... then we become those who say "my country! right or wrong!"
Old 06-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Take a look at the differences between vandalism spray painting your name on a billboard and spray painting racial slurs on someone's house and threatening them to leave. If we didn't have the qualifications, then they would both just be vandalism.
And they are both just vandelism. Otherwise, you have begun a process of judging speech.

Is that what you want?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #90
Acrobat

Actually, in many cases you have a process of judging intentions--as in murder cases.

Spray painting graffiti on someone's house because you're sixteen and stupid and can't come up with anything better to do with your free time is one thing.

Spray painting graffiti on someone's house because you are a hateful racist bigot who wishes to intimidate, terrify, and threaten is entirely different in intention.