Flag burning??? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Reminds me of the sick and insensitive jokes that happened after the David Koresh/Waco thing. I always felt like socking the joke teller in the mouth.
I haven't heard any of those, but yeah...some people are real sickos. I would never dream of making jokes along those lines about anybody, and I can't believe some people have the gall to do so.

Angela

Old 06-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
I'm sorry. I don't understand your question. Please clarify.
the question was in reference to something melon said, that hate speech is protected while hate actions are not. he included chanting hateful slogans under hate actions, not hate speech. which seems very particular and subject to interpretation.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:22 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

I haven't heard any of those, but yeah...some people are real sickos. I would never dream of making jokes along those lines about anybody, and I can't believe some people have the gall to do so.

Angela
I don't really like insulting-type of humor anyway. My friend has that type of humor and it drives me insane - I usually get upset with him.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Mmhm. A truly frightening time...I don't know how people managed to make it through that.

That Jew "joke" disturbs me more and more each time I read it. Seriously, that is just not cool. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that, VertigoGal .

Angela
yeah there are definitely some cruel people out there. i dont want to divert though, i do realize that homosexuals seem to be the main target for discrimination these days, and have also been discriminated against throughout history. i was just using that as an example.

thanks though
Old 06-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

the question was in reference to something melon said, that hate speech is protected while hate actions are not. he including chanting hateful slogans under hate actions, not hate speech. which seems very particular and subject to interpretation.

Okay. Melon, ball's in your court.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
the whole thing seems so subject to interpretation
Well, welcome to the world of the judiciary. In a lot of crimes, you have to prove "intent," and there's no "one size fits all" answer to this equation. It all has to go by a case-to-case basis.

Is murder always wrong? Well, there's those who claim they acted in self defense, which isn't illegal. How do you determine if it was self defense? Through investigations and, sometimes, through a jury trial.

I wish I could give a definitive answer to this question, but it is very nuanced. But so is life.

Melon
Old 06-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I guess I'm just too, I dunno what...I just see the entire "inciting violence" thing as bullshit.

If I jump up and down and say I hate redheads! and pump my fist, and someone goes out and beats up a redhead, well theyre still the one who beat up the redhead. If people cant think for themselves to the point where they commit violent acts just cos someone "incited" them too, well, its pretty pathetic to say the least. But then, I wonder how many people Hitler/<insert dictator> personally killed.

ugh. I have a headache. thanks for trying everyone.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I don't really like insulting-type of humor anyway. My friend has that type of humor and it drives me insane - I usually get upset with him.
If I know the person doesn't truly believe in that stuff, and is just trying to prove how stupid those kinds of jokes sound (a la "All In The Family") or something along that line, I can deal with it. If they're dead serious about it, though....

Quote:
yeah there are definitely some cruel people out there. i dont want to divert though, i do realize that homosexuals seem to be the main target for discrimination these days, and have also been discriminated against throughout history. i was just using that as an example.
Mmhm. Understandable.

Quote:
thanks though
You're welcome .

Also, I agree with your views on the whole "inciting violence" thing.

Angela
Old 06-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #69
The Fly

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Yeah, one of the rights the USA Flag represents is the ability to practice whatever religion you wish. So yeah, BURN THAT DAMN FLAG!

But don't kick the Koran, HOLY CRAP, that is MUCH WORSE!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by theblazer
Yeah, one of the rights the USA Flag represents is the ability to practice whatever religion you wish. So yeah, BURN THAT DAMN FLAG!

Jesus Christ...the flag is NOT a religion. Equating the flag to the Bible would probably violate some idolatry precepts in the aforementioned book, which kind of makes me chuckle.

If you don't like Muslims, fine. Islam isn't my favorite religion either. But if you can't see why pissing on a Koran wouldn't piss people off (pun intended), then you won't mind if I ask you to piss on your Bible.

Melon
Old 06-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by theblazer

Please come back when you have a clue.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 06:56 AM
I didn't read through this whole thread, but this is in reference to burning a flag in protest?

Freedom of expression I suppose.

However it is perfectly acceptable to burn an American flag, that's actually what is supposed to be done with an old tattered American flag.

( I guess there's some sort of "unoffensive" way of doing this, or there's an organization that will burn in it for you. )

Not supposed to let it drape on the ground.

You're not supposed to wrap yourself with it like a blanket.

Google, "American Flag etiquette"

Even how to fold a flag.

According to some of the rules, even a stamp with an American flag is not following these rules.

Not really enforced though.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
"Hate speech" is constitutionally protected. "Hate actions" are not.
Hate crimes are thought crimes. Very 1984.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #74
Acrobat

Re: Thrillme comment.

The Veteran's of Foreign Wars sometimes has an open gathering to properly dispose of old and damaged flags, by burning...in a respectful way.

I saw one of these on the local news once; they put them in one of those barbecue grills made out of a fifty gallon barrel, squirted lighter fluid on them, and lit them. Respectful...yeah, okay. But then again, they were standing quietly with hands over hearts while the flags flamed to ash.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Hate crimes are thought crimes. Very 1984.
Hate crimes are NOT thought crimes. Hate crimes are hate actions, and are punished accordingly.

Melon