Fix Your Candidate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear John Kerry:

Hi. I don't know if you remember me. I wrote to you once before with a lot of the same suggestions I'm going to make now, but just in case you're reading this time, I'll write them again.

First of all, I am not your problem. Despite the fact that you are perhaps maybe not the most likable politician to wander down the pike, I like you. I think you're a decent, thoughtful man who could be a good President. And I really like your VP man, John Edwards. In fact, I was rooting for him until you had the nomination sewn up. (Full disclosure: I rooted for Dean a bit, too.) So I do like you. And I will vote for you. You had my vote before you even kicked the idea of running for President around, probably, because I was never, ever going to vote Bush in '04.

So, you have my vote. Great! But you need more. In fact, you need a lot more. And you don't have the votes yet of lots of people like me--young, worried, moderate-to-liberal voters. They don't like Bush, but that's not going to be enough to make them get up off their ass and head to their local high school gym or refurbished garage to actually vote. You need to get them fired up not about not voting for Bush, but about voting for you.

How to do it? I think, for example, that I was one of the very few people in the crowd at a recent Edwards appearance who knew about your "2 years' service=4 years' tuition" plan (2 years of service to community, state, or nation equals 4 years of college tuition paid in full). Young voters would LOVE that. Maybe talk a little bit about how youngsters who have already graduated can pay off student loans that way. Talk more about education--you have better and more interesting things to say.

Also, let Edwards do most of the talking. Seriously. I don't necessarily agree with this approach, because I honestly don't think people should be judged on "likability" or "cuteness," but people like him better, he's a better speaker, his face and his manner beg for crowds in ways that yours don't. Be the policy man. Spend lots of time seriously drawing up thorough plans for reform that all the wonks will appreciate, and that the more circumspect voters want to hear. They say you have few concrete, solid ideas. Demonstrate that you do. Draw them up--and prep John E. thoroughly to answer any questions.

Third, you need a better campaign slogan. "A Stonger America"? Are you joking? It's boring and bland. It could be anyone's slogan--any party's, any candidate's. You need a message that resonates with voters and is your own. I like one that Edwards threw out a few times today--"Hope is on the way." I also like a line from political commentator Mark Shields--"Are we better off than we were four years ago?" Not "Are YOU"--it's "Are WE." Again, your swing voters will like that one. It sounds the horn of collectivity, of assessing not only your position, but your neighbor's and your friend's and the condition of people all over the country.

Fourth, tell the voters what they won't want to hear. To reform health care and make it widely available--maybe even universally (horrors!)--we will most assuredly need to raise taxes. And there's this minor problem of billions of dollars of debt racked up by Bush. Tell the voters the truth--that their taxes will almost definitely go up. They will appreciate your honesty. Soften the blow by assuring them they will be getting more for their money: better access to healthcare, a more efficient government. Also, assure them that giant corporations aren't getting off easy under your administration. We're all in this together. It's a message that brought the country together in the FDR era, of the country working TOGETHER to combat great enemies. Use it.

Finally, be yourself. Really. Don't pose for Rolling Stone, don't wear a leather jacket, don't allow yourself to be photographed riding a bull or anything. Lay off the Botox and the shirtsleeves. Speak some French, for God's sake. Al Gore's number-one mistake was not allowing his "image," if you will, to just be what it was. Why did the voters not fall for his earthier, dressed-down image? They knew it was fake, that's why! Do what you enjoy and what you feel is right. Let voters get to know the real John Kerry, not one that was dreamed up by PR people. They just might get to like him.

Most sincerely,
pax
(Hot Chicks Dig Edwards)

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Im sure that Kerry can win an election by speaking French :slant:

so its been decided then that education actually is a handicap in this election?
:wink:

Higher education obviously isn't in the Republican party's best interest. After all, who would be left to vote for them? :wink:

Seriously, Kerry isn't really my candidate but if I had to give him any advice I'd ask him to listen to Pax, cut the Vietnam crap and put some more focus on domestic issues. There seem to be more than enough faillures there to slap the Republicans silly.

nbcrusader
since i neither support Bush or Kerry i'd like to write an open letter to both of them.

Dear Senator Kerry, dear President Bush,
i know election campaigns are tough and it's about your personal future but please try to be fair and honest when you speak about your oponent and don't try to win the campaign by bashing the other.
We want to hear about your visions of the future, so please focus on the things you want to do to help this country, not what you think others might not do.

Klaus

We need to pitch Vietnam and hear some talk about the issues that are important in our lives. Vietnam has nothing to do with Iraq, the economy, health care issues, or anything else. There's been too much emphasis on an image, a package, and not enough stuff of real substance. We're voting for a president, not next year's product from GM. I'll bet the voters, many voters, anyway, are getting exasperated with so much talk of the past and so little talk of the future.

Last edited:
Kerry has not done an interview with any member of the press since Aug. 1st. He needs to do more interviews. It looks like he is hiding. Sure they'll ask him about his purple hearts and Cambodia but he needs to address those issues.

Geez, where do I start. First off, Kerry isn't my candidate. He's theirs, and by "they" I mean the DLC/RNC candidate. RNC? Yep! I don't think we would have a candidate that the RNC didn't allow us to have. I think they deliberately went soft on Kerry because he was the candidate that best exhibited two qualities - they knew they could beat him, yet he still stood a good chance of winning the nomination.

During the Democratic primaries, the republicans went soft on Kerry, and focused all their firepower on the really dangerous candidates (dangerous meaning a threat to their agenda, which Kerry isn't much of). Now that Kerry's the man, they're hitting him with all the lies they've had in storage for the past year or two. A great strategy, really.

So, advice to Kerry? Why would I bother, but I would still like to say something to him.

"John, I didn't want you for my candidate, and I don't think you can win. You're a Bush-Lite, and the fact that you don't fight back against the attacks on your service record disgusts me. You voted to give the monkey the power to wage unending war, and you voted for his tax cut that wasn't. This November, please do not confuse my vote for you with support. You'll receive it because my concern for my country is stronger than my disdain for you. May you be a one-termer so we may elect a true leader in 4 years."

That is all.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
I thought Dean was the GOP's first choice.

Great responses all!

Rumor had it that Karl Rove wanted Dean for a general election opponent. But quite obviously he didn't get him. Now that the conventions are done, it's really campaign season, where the real heat is going to be.

Flying FuManchu said:
Kerry needs to focus on winning his debate with Bush, stop acting like a doofus by giving the Repubs ammo (such as the authority statement), leave Vietnam alone for a bit, and put out what his poilcies will be.
He needs to stay out of those space suits too.

verte76 said:
We need to pitch Vietnam

YES! vietnam is so insignificant to what is going on now. so what if kerry exaggerated his injuries to get his purple hearts or the fact that bush or cheney didn't go to vietnam? the whole thing needs to be dropped.

achtung_zoo said:
So what if kerry exaggerated his injuries to get his purple hearts
Because that's a lie that needs to be addressed. If you let it go, they'll just lie about more and more things. Look what happened to Gore in 2000. You can't sit back and let things like this go.

Whether or not it means something to us or not is irrelevant if it means something to 100 million voters. It's a lie that could cost Kerry the election, so it needs to be dealt with.

Sadly the time to fix both candidates has passed....they've already reproduced. :D

* too bad we can't go back in time and fix Bush Sr. though.... Now that would be worthwhile!

cydewaze said:

"John, I didn't want you for my candidate, and I don't think you can win. You're a Bush-Lite, and the fact that you don't fight back against the attacks on your service record disgusts me. You voted to give the monkey the power to wage unending war, and you voted for his tax cut that wasn't. This November, please do not confuse my vote for you with support. You'll receive it because my concern for my country is stronger than my disdain for you. May you be a one-termer so we may elect a true leader in 4 years."
I actually agree with quite a bit of that. Well said.

Seems like Paul Krugman's article was inspired by this thread ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/07/opinion/07krugman.html?th

September 7, 2004
OP-ED COLUMNIST
A Mythic Reality
By PAUL KRUGMAN

The best book I've read about America after 9/11 isn't about either America or 9/11. It's "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning," an essay on the psychology of war by Chris Hedges, a veteran war correspondent. Better than any poll analysis or focus group, it explains why President Bush, despite policy failures at home and abroad, is ahead in the polls.

War, Mr. Hedges says, plays to some fundamental urges. "Lurking beneath the surface of every society, including ours," he says, "is the passionate yearning for a nationalist cause that exalts us, the kind that war alone is able to deliver." When war psychology takes hold, the public believes, temporarily, in a "mythic reality" in which our nation is purely good, our enemies are purely evil, and anyone who isn't our ally is our enemy.

This state of mind works greatly to the benefit of those in power.

One striking part of the book describes Argentina's reaction to the 1982 Falklands war. Gen. Leopoldo Galtieri, the leader of the country's military junta, cynically launched that war to distract the public from the failure of his economic policies. It worked: "The junta, which had been on the verge of collapse" just before the war, "instantly became the saviors of the country."

The point is that once war psychology takes hold, the public desperately wants to believe in its leadership, and ascribes heroic qualities to even the least deserving ruler. National adulation for the junta ended only after a humiliating military defeat.

George W. Bush isn't General Galtieri: America really was attacked on 9/11, and any president would have followed up with a counterstrike against the Taliban. Yet the Bush administration, like the Argentine junta, derived enormous political benefit from the impulse of a nation at war to rally around its leader.

Another president might have refrained from exploiting that surge of support for partisan gain; Mr. Bush didn't.

And his administration has sought to perpetuate the war psychology that makes such exploitation possible.

Step by step, the fight against Al Qaeda became a universal "war on terror," then a confrontation with the "axis of evil," then a war against all evil everywhere. Nobody knows where it all ends.

What is clear is that whenever political debate turns to Mr. Bush's actual record in office, his popularity sinks. Only by doing whatever it takes to change the subject to the war on terror - not to what he's actually doing about terrorist threats, but to his "leadership," whatever that means - can he get a bump in the polls.

Last week's convention made it clear that Mr. Bush intends to use what's left of his heroic image to win the election, and early polls suggest that the strategy may be working. What can John Kerry do?

Campaigning exclusively on domestic issues won't work. Mr. Bush must be held to account for his dismal record on jobs, health care and the environment. But as Mr. Hedges writes, when war psychology makes a public yearn to believe in its leaders, "there is little that logic or fact or truth can do to alter the experience."

To win, the Kerry campaign has to convince a significant number of voters that the self-proclaimed "war president" isn't an effective war leader - he only plays one on TV.

This charge has the virtue of being true. It's hard to find a nonpartisan national security analyst with a good word for the Bush administration's foreign policy. Iraq, in particular, is a slow-motion disaster brought on by wishful thinking, cronyism and epic incompetence.

If I were running the Kerry campaign, I'd remind people frequently about Mr. Bush's flight-suit photo-op, when he declared the end of major combat. In fact, the war goes on unabated. News coverage of Iraq dropped off sharply after the supposed transfer of sovereignty on June 28, but as many American soldiers have died since the transfer as in the original invasion.

And I'd point out that while Mr. Bush spared no effort preparing for his carrier landing - he even received underwater survival training in the White House pool - he didn't prepare for things that actually mattered, like securing and rebuilding Iraq after Baghdad fell.

Will it work? I don't know. But to win, Mr. Kerry must try to puncture the myth that Mr. Bush's handlers have so assiduously created.

Very cool Klaus! I'm getting ready to read that book for my "War, Violence and Conflict Resolution" class in a week or so. :)

:wave:

Cyde--here here. :D I see you're in VA. LMK if you're interested at all in helped out with voter registration. I love being in a swing state. :yes:

sd

Back
Top Bottom