Five Years Later-Filtering Reality? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:21 AM
Uh, what does any of that have to do with what I asked?

How did you feel that day and how has it changed you?

Can you start another thread if you need to talk about all of that stuff?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Uh, what does any of that have to do with what I asked?

How did you feel that day and how has it changed you?

Can you start another thread if you need to talk about all of that stuff?
You're right Mrs. S, I'm sorry.

I'll try to simplify my feelings although it will be nearly impossible.

Watching the first tower burn was bad enough but standing in front of the TV and seeing the second plane slam into the other tower was horrifying because I realized that I had just witnessed the deaths of hundreds of people live on TV. I literally was paralyzed and I was shaking like a leaf.

I immediately phoned my two friends in NYC and asked if they were ok. They had no idea what I was talking about and we kind of laughed that I was 15,000 miles away in Israel telling them what was going on in their own back yard.....but soon the laughing stopped.

I kept my eyes glued to CNN (FOX news wasn't available in Israel yet) and watched Aaron Brown give the most chilling commentary from the rooftop overlooking the two towers.

Then the reports came about the planes at the Pentagon and Pennsylvania and that the white house was being evacuated. At that second I turned to my colleague and said: "that's it...we're witnessing the start of world war III....".

Then came the moment that is burned in my brain forever.....the collapse of the first tower - my mouth dropped and I started palpitating and hyperventilating. I started crying hysterically and couldn't calm down.

When the second tower came down I screamed. My boss got up from his chair and closed the TV......which was the proper thing to do.

Needless to say, I couldn't function that day. I kept looking at the blank TV screen and I sat at my desk numb with pain.....and ANGER.

I saved the newspaper from that day and I look at it every once in a while....not to remind me of the evil in the world, but to remind me of the heroes of that day - the firefighters and policemen, the people of NYC and Mayor Guilianni, the brave passengers of United 93 and Donald Rumsfeld (among others) helping to evacuate the wounded from the Pentagon.

It was a day of extraordinary cruelty that turned into a day of bravery, patriotism and triumph of the spirit - New Yorkers didn't break, they mobilized to help their fellow citizens in trouble and comfort those who have lost loved ones in the towers, as did the citizens of Washingto DC and Shanksville, PA.

The symbol of this day for me is the sight of the Liberty torch lifted high against the black smokey background of the collapsed towers. This to me represents the eventual triumph of good over evil, and it strengthens my belief that liberty and democracy will always win over tyranny.

My thoughts are with the American people today, people who I don't know but feel a bonding with. People who went to bed Monday night Sept.10th in one world and woke up Tuesday morning in a different one........

G-d bless America and may the brave souls of 9/11 rest in peace in the eternal blessed light of G-d's grace.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 03:21 PM
A somewhat broader and more political take on the question, but still adressing the same basic theme...

I edited this down quite a bit.
Five years after 9/11: a shifted view of the world

By Peter Grier and Mark Rice-Oxley
Christian Science Monitor, September 11 2006

The world today is a very different place from the way it was on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. In one sense that statement is obvious. Five years is a long time in geopolitics. The world turns, whatever terrorists do. But half a decade on, it also seems clear that Al Qaeda's attacks and the US response have helped move the metaphorical tectonic plates of the globe. Besides direct effects, such as the toppling of the Taliban in Afghanistan, the reverberations from 9/11 may include a new general organizing principle for international affairs.

The Cold War was about the Western and communist blocs, and their values, conflicts, and internal cracks. The current period is about the US and the Islamic world--their mutual suspicions and occasional cooperation, and the wedge Al Qaeda has tried to drive between them.

Some experts claim that Sept. 11 was a day in which not much changed in regards to the interrelations of the nations and cultures of the world. Globalization today continues unabated. The world economy hasn't collapsed. Immigrants, legal and otherwise, continue to flock into the US. On the morning of Sept. 11, the Washington Post carried a page 1 story: "Israeli Tanks Encircle a City in West Bank." That day's New York Times had an inside piece on "Iran Denial on Nuclear Weapons." Such headlines "suggest that our pre-9/11 preoccupations are certainly not that different from those we carry today," writes William Dobson, managing editor of Foreign Policy, in the current issue.

True, anti-Americanism is on the rise. Radical Islamists have declared holy war on the US, its Western allies, and Saudi Arabia and other long-standing Arab regimes. But these trends date from the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the rise of the US as a global hegemon, states Mr. Dobson. The shock of Sept. 11 simply made Americans aware of what the world was already like.

Others say that the strikes made Americans feel their vulnerability--and that such a shift in self-image is itself a profound change. Absent 9/11, the US would have been highly unlikely to invade Afghanistan. Absent Afghanistan, the Bush administration might have faced insuperable military and political problems with regard to the subsequent invasion of Iraq.

Much of the hostility that some Islamists bear toward the US "is driven by one of the most powerful of human emotions, a sense of indignity and humiliation," says Lawrence Harrison, an adjunct lecturer in international relations at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Mass. "That's a quite new foreign-policy problem."

Trust in the US has also eroded substantially since 9/11, according to Ivo Daalder, a senior fellow in foreign policy studies at the Brookings Institution, among friends as well as adversaries. International cooperation on a wide range of problems, from counter-proliferation to global warming, is thus "increasingly absent," he claims. But international cooperation played a large role in last month's arrests in England of suspects charged with planning to destroy transatlantic aircraft. And other experts say Europe is increasingly aware that it may be the terrorists' new focus.

Part of Europe's problem, as ever, is its patchwork nature. Some countries, particularly those with troops in Iraq or Afghanistan, feel more exposed than others, and hence feel greater urgency to act. Britain, the Netherlands, and Denmark, which arrested a suspected terror cell last week, feel they are among the most vulnerable. Finland and Slovenia may feel relatively immune by contrast. Another problem is the differing legal and judicial systems in the different countries. Some have muscular laws for detaining suspects; others do not. Some have brought in robust, even authoritarian antiterror laws; others have not. Some have tolerated firebrand clerics spouting hate in mosques; others have taken a dim view of such antics, and have deported the culprits.

While Europe may have become a target and center of operations for terrorist cells, the US and Islam are the two poles around which 21st-century geopolitics may increasingly revolve. This does not necessarily mean that the world is enduring a "clash of civilizations," as defined by Harvard professor Samuel Huntington's 1996 book of that name. Dr. Huntington himself has said that hasn't happened; and that Islam and the West now simply have many issues between them, with some handled more successfully than others.

The events of 9/11 have opened the world's eyes to a new conflict, driven by mutual hurt, fear, and suspicion. "The conflict is not a battle between, but rather a battle within. It is not two blocs locked in battle ... but about a new global construct of mutual insecurity that has emerged," writes Peter Singer, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, in his analysis of the events of 9/11 five years on.
yolland [at]

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #19
War Child
Local Time: 02:21 PM
I was as horrified as anyone else, it was a terrible day. I felt a little better when the rest of the world joined in our grief and anger. Then the war drums started, and my husband said "Watch, Bush will invent a bullshit reason to take this into Iraq". I couldn't believe that the president of the United States would do something so cynical and manipulative. Of course, time has proved that he and his handlers are capable of that and much worse.

What a pointless, tragic waste... that's the best thing I can say about our president and what he has accomplished.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:21 AM
How has it changed me? With all that is said and done, I could give my life to save you. Any of You!!
The people of Flight 93...changed me more than I can even explain.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:31 AM   #21
love, blood, life
Local Time: 12:21 AM
An admission
We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the September 11th" attacks," Bush said in a brief encounter with reporters after a meeting with members of Congress. Bush added, "There's no question that Saddam Hussein had al-Qaeda ties."

The president's remark followed a comment Tuesday by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who said he saw no evidence that Saddam was involved in the attacks. "I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say that," Rumsfeld said.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:42 AM   #22
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Even five years on, If I'm watching a movie, and I glimpse the twin towers in the background, it still makes me catch my breath.

It's as if what happened was the dividing line between old world / new world.