First Atheist in US Congress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
There is only one member of Congress who is on record as not holding a god-belief.

Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.), a member of Congress since 1973, acknowledged his nontheism in response to an inquiry by the Secular Coalition for America. Rep. Stark is a senior member of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee and is Chair of the Health Subcommittee.

Although the Constitution prohibits religious tests for public office, the Coalition's research reveals that Rep. Stark is the first open nontheist in the history of the Congress. Recent polls show that Americans without a god-belief are, as a group, more distrusted than any other minority in America. Surveys show that the majority of Americans would not vote for an atheist for president even if he or she were the most qualified for the office.

Herb Silverman, president of the Secular Coalition for America, attributes these attitudes to the demonization of people who don't believe in God. "The truth is," says Silverman, "the vast majority of us follow the Golden Rule and are as likely to be good citizens, just like Rep. Stark with over 30 years of exemplary public service. The only way to counter the prejudice against nontheists is for more people to publicly identify as nontheists. Rep. Stark shows remarkable courage in being the first member of Congress to do so."

In October, 2006 the Secular Coalition for America, a national lobby representing the interests of atheists, humanists, freethinkers, and other nontheists, announced a contest. At the time, few if any elected officials, even at the lowest level, would self-identify as a nontheist. So the Coalition offered $1,000 to the person who could identify the highest level atheist, agnostic, humanist or any other kind of nontheist currently holding elected public office in the United States.

In addition to Rep. Stark only three other elected officials agreed to do so: Terry S. Doran, president of the School Board in Berkeley, Calif.; Nancy Glista on the School Committee in Franklin, Maine; and Michael Cerone, a Town Meeting Member from Arlington, Mass.

Surveys vary in the percentage of atheists, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheists in the U.S, with about 10% (30 million people) a fair middle point. "If the number of nontheists in Congress reflected the percentage of nontheists in the population," Lori Lipman Brown, director of the Secular Coalition, observes, "there would be 53-54 nontheistic Congress members instead of one."
link

Recent polls show that Americans without a god-belief are, as a group, more distrusted than any other minority in America. Surveys show that the majority of Americans would not vote for an atheist for president even if he or she were the most qualified for the office.

I don't get this? I don't understand why its so hard for believers to see that its easy to <i> not </i> believe. I also don't see why we are not trustworthy simply because we don't follow others and come to our on conclusions and sometimes, have too in the face of adversity and propoganda!

Also I really don't agree with 'if you believ ein God you are more trustworthy and moral' because their is a lot LOT LOT of evidence to the contrary.

ridiculous.

Sometimes I think that much of the US is afraid of thought not sugarcoated by symbolism. It really doesn't matter what you really believe or do as long as you drape it properly. God, country, flag, family. Gets old. I'm looking for some new blood.

Last edited:
"Surveys show that the majority of Americans would not vote for an atheist for president even if he or she were the most qualified for the office."

:ohmy:

This kind of a survey question should be taken with a grain of salt, though - we don't know who the sample is. Probably very different numbers between Charleston and San Francisco.

DaveC said:
"Surveys show that the majority of Americans would not vote for an atheist for president even if he or she were the most qualified for the office."

:ohmy:

This kind of a survey question should be taken with a grain of salt, though - we don't know who the sample is. Probably very different numbers between Charleston and San Francisco.
The survey was pretty large, the "average" American would want their daughter marrying a gay Muslim before an atheist.

Ah, the devil is inside! He's an infiltrator and has gotten into the holiest of the holy.

You will all die! Sorry.

It takes alot of strength for this man to stand up and say what he believes (or doesn't) and for that I commend him.

It's unfortunate that so much of America is infested by total idiots that they can't see Athiests are generally very moral and intelligent people. And in so many ways we can be more moral than religious types obviously.....

This so much reminds me of that woman:

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/03/06/reader-voices-strong-opinion-on-atheists

It’s time to stomp out atheists in America. The majority of Americans would love to see atheists kicked out of America. If you don’t believe in God, then get out of this country.

The United States is based on having freedom of religion, speech, etc., which means you can believe in God any way you want (Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, etc.), but you must believe.

I don’t recall freedom of religion meaning no religion. Our currency even says, “In God We Trust.” So, to all the atheists in America: Get off of our country.

Atheists have casued the ruin of this great nation by taking prayer out of our school sna being able to rpactice what can only be called evil. I don’t care if they have never committed a crime, atheists are the reason crime is rampant.

I mean, this seems not to be a single opinion, but quite accepted. That's scary.

It least this Representative won't have to walk to Canossa ;)

Or George Bush
Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

As a Christian Myself. I say good for him. I am happy he is representing atheists. Even though he and some of you don't believe in a god. I respect that and could care less. It's how we act as people that matters not belief.

Well, it's Bush :D

Justin24 said:
As a Christian Myself. I say good for him. I am happy he is representing atheists. Even though he and some of you don't believe in a god. I respect that and could care less. It's how we act as people that matters not belief.

That's exactly it. :)

AussieU2fanman said:

It's unfortunate that so much of America is infested by total idiots that they can't see Athiests are generally very moral and intelligent people. And in so many ways we can be more moral than religious types obviously.....

What's unfortunate is that the people who have the above said attitude are the only ones that get any press these days, thus making it seem like they are a vast majority, when really they are just shouting louder than anyone else cares to. I live in a very religious and conservative community, but I don't know anyone that's against atheists in office simply because they are atheists. Normal people will examine each issue for what it is and make decisions on candidates based on how they feel about particular issues. But normal people don't make good press and have better things to do than making such absurd statements as Bush or pumping out surveys "proving" that people hate atheists, etc.

I don't care what somebody believes. What matters to me is people's stance on issues. Why do people spend more time focusing on the personal lives of individuals than the issues they stand for?

redhotswami said:
I don't care what somebody believes. What matters to me is people's stance on issues. Why do people spend more time focusing on the personal lives of individuals than the issues they stand for?

I think identifying where people stand on various issues isn't as easy as identifying people's religion or belief system and associating their stances on issues with their personal religious beliefs. ie. if ur Catholic ur obviously anti-abortion and what-not.

AussieU2fanman said:

I think identifying where people stand on various issues isn't as easy as identifying people's religion or belief system and associating their stances on issues with their personal religious beliefs. ie. if ur Catholic ur obviously anti-abortion and what-not.

not really, because I am catholic and pro-choice. thats where i think it is just a bad idea to judge people by their personal life, culture, etc. because we're all individuals. one catholic does not speak for all, just as one athiest doesn't speak for all.

I think this is a shame. It's using the wrong criteria for selecting public officials. I'd have no trouble voting for a smart atheist.

I read an article in the L A Times this morning

I think the link in this thread
gave a little different slant

this part was in my article

Stark, who has served in Congress since 1973 and chairs the health subcommittee of the House Ways and Means Committee, clarified his views in an e-mail statement.

"When the Secular Coalition asked me to complete a survey on my religious beliefs, I indicated I am a Unitarian who does not believe in a supreme being," Stark said. "Like our nation's founders, I strongly support the separation of church and state. I look forward to working with the Secular Coalition to stop the promotion of narrow religious beliefs in science, marriage contracts, the military and the provision of social services."

Unitarian Universalism describes itself as creedless, meaning that it has no underlying authoritative statement of religious belief. Some members believe in God; others do not.

link here

redhotswami said:

not really, because I am catholic and pro-choice. thats where i think it is just a bad idea to judge people by their personal life, culture, etc. because we're all individuals. one catholic does not speak for all, just as one athiest doesn't speak for all.

Right. But that's what they want people to think, the Fundies. They want the world to think that everyone DOES in fact hate atheists, gays, abortions, and comprehensive sex education. Unfortunately, they do a pretty good job of running their mouths until the rest of the world is inclined to believe that they are a generally accurate representation of American Christians. Not so.

I usually try to stay away from generalizations.

But, it has been my experience that atheist and agnostics
many times have better ethics than self proclaimed religious people.

deep said:

This has been my experience as well.

deep said:

:lol: I dunno, I've met arseholes from many different walks of life. But also many different cool people too! :up:

Liesje said:

Right. But that's what they want people to think, the Fundies. They want the world to think that everyone DOES in fact hate atheists, gays, abortions, and comprehensive sex education.

can someone tell me why there's such an obsession with sex?

deep said:

:up: Same here.

A_Wanderer said:
It's more moral because I can be a bastard without being a hypocrite.

like I said
it is a generalization:wink:

seriously,

A person with good morals or ethics, that is not based on religion, is less likely to behave poorly because they lose their faith.

If religious people don't steal because (it is one of THE COMMANDMENTS) and they believe they will be punished by God

Well, how are they much different than a person that does not steal because (it is AGAINST THE LAW) and they believe they will be punished by the legal system?

I would be willing to bet that Stark isn't the only atheist / non believer in there. Out of 535 people, that would be really doubtful. For the most part, people in Congress are intelligent and very well educated (yeah, I know there are some idiots in there, too), and polls have shown that the better educated are less likely to believe in a supreme being.

The others won't admit it for fear of not being re-elected.

Back
Top Bottom