Fireworks? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Fireworks?

I don't know about the world....but in Sweden it is a tradition to shoot off fireworks on New Years eve.....I just wanted to take the time and say.....Donate your money to Southeast asia instead.......

Fireworks is an enjoyment were you get fun in a short time for a lot of money...and you never get your money's worth......

I never buy fireworks 'cause there is so many people who is dumb enough to do so...

So please donate your money instead!

I still haven't got ahold of my ex-girlfriend who is from Sri Lanka....She is down there visiting her father....

Old 12-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:35 PM
LB

Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:35 AM
malaysia is not having fireworks this new year's to respect the tragedy.

foray
Old 12-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I don't do fireworks. But I'm not doing a party Saturday, instead I'll be giving another donation with the $$.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Very good idea Lemonboy

It doesn't seem right to celebrate when so many people have died, so many others are suffering
Old 12-30-2004, 05:27 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Oh, Lemonboy, I hope your girlfriend and all her family are ok.

Your suggestion is a good one. The need for aid isn't going to go away in a few weeks, so I'm planning on donating more over the next several months, too.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sydney are still having theirs, which I think is wrong. Their reasoning is that they have paid a fortune for them, they're paid for and in place, loads of tourists come to Sydney specificaly for this etc etc. That's weak.

My friends and I were going to an expensive party down on the harbour, but we've ditched that and are just going to one of their places, will have some drinks and food and have a relatively quiet one and donate the $200+ each we would have spent in the city.

Seriously couldn't party tonight.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

After watching this on the news for the past 6 days it's going to feel so wrong celebrating a new year when there are hundreds of thousands who aren't here to see it.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:35 PM
i've never threw any fireworks in the air in my whole life, rather to give off money for such useless tradition i give it to someone who needs it
Old 01-01-2005, 07:39 AM   #10
War Child

why are we dumb to buy em eh? just cos we want to have fun? why should we be depressed all the time thinking of others?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kate1
why are we dumb to buy em eh? just cos we want to have fun? why should we be depressed all the time thinking of others?
I wouldn't say anyone is dumb just because of buying them, but at least this time the money could be spent on something far more important. I didn't see many fireworks last night because people in Finland were encouraged to give the money to the victims of the tsunamis in Asia. And to me it seemed a bit tasteless to party because I know people who have lost their loved ones and simply because this is the worst thing that has happened to us since the war. Over 200 Finns are still lost and probably dead in Asia. It puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

However I do not think that "we should be depressed all the time thinking of others". We have a right to enjoy our lives, it's so great to be alive! But at least I need a bit of time and distance before I can truly move on. It has broken my heart to see this disaster.

We can and we SHOULD have fun. And I wish everyone had a nice New Year and I hope no one would feel quilty if they were celebrating. It's a free world and we can do what we like. And hopefully we'll all have plenty of New Year eves ahead of us to have the time of our lives!!

Lemonboy, stay strong.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

The people I know who shot off fireworks already had them- they bought them last summer on vacation in a state where the bottle rockets were not illegal Around here the only time you can buy fireworks is Fourth of July, then you save some for New Year's Eve. So not every went out and wasted money now. But in the neighborhood I spend New Year's Eve in last night, there were more guns going off than fireworks. Everyone had to shoot into the air, even shotguns. And because everyone did it, nobody cared, nobody called the cops. I just hope no damage was done.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I woke up in the middle of the night because someone was shooting off bottle rockets. They went on....and on.....and on......and on......and on......for what seemed like hours. I thought of this thread.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate1
Yeah, of course. I'm sorry...you're right. Why should we think of others? I have to do what's best for ME first, right?

You want to have fun? well why don't you go out to the airport and tell it to the few people who have actually made it home. Or tell it to the people who have no home.....I didn't get any Champagne this year...So What? At least there's fresh clean water coming out off my faucet....

Nah, Close your eyes or change the channel....or better yet go out and party like there is no tomorrow,because who knows if there is?

Old 01-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict