Fired For Recreational Drug Use - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Fired For Recreational Drug Use

Anita Epolito was fired from her job after refusing to submit to a drug test
Quote:
"It was unbelievable, because I truly believed that what you did after 5 o'clock had nothing to do with your job," said Epolito, then a 15-year employee at Weyco Inc., a health benefits administrator in Okemos, Mich.

She took her case to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission but learned that in Michigan, as in 19 other states, her employer had the right to dismiss her for off-duty activity.
link

Of course the evil substance that she was abusing was nicotine.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:39 PM
well, isnt selling cigarettes to under 18 or 16 (not so sure about the age) illegal in the US? since buying a substance sold under illegal conditions isnt the most ethical of acts, i think the action was justified. this is about the attitude, the respect for the law (which bans underage smoking), which this 15 year old apparently lacks.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
which this 15 year old apparently lacks.
I think you misread the article, she was with the company for fifteen years I assume is what it is saying.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Health insurance is very expensive in the U.S. Since we don't want national healthcare, since we don't want to regulate prices like every other goddamn industrialized nation, since our healthcare system has so much non-competitive bloat and excess with no end in sight, now companies are starting to fire smokers, who are statistically a huge burden on our healthcare system and don't qualify for protection under the law (and I've heard about Weyco, Inc.; health insurance costs are why smokers are fired from that company).

Plus, when you're dealing with "at-will" employment laws, as in 19 other states, you are legally allowed to be fired for absolutely anything.

Why don't we redirect the (g)outrage(!) where it really belongs: the American healthcare hegemony?

Melon
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Unless your job involves the physical safety of others, drug testing is one of the most vile intrusions on personal freedom and it perplexes me that Americans allow themselves to be subjected to it.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I hate drug testing.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Unless your job involves the physical safety of others, drug testing is one of the most vile intrusions on personal freedom and it perplexes me that Americans allow themselves to be subjected to it.
Most vile?

The externalities of drug use are not limited to potential physical harm. An employer makes a better workplace for everyone when such baggage is reduced or eliminated.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

An employer makes a better workplace for everyone when such baggage is reduced or eliminated.
Agreed. I don't agree with the method.

There is all kinds of baggage the workplace would be better without and random drug testing is no more valid a method of reducing baggage than it would be to fire all the women with D-cups because they are too distracting to men and incite jealous cattiness in women.

Don't you find it interesting as an American that you have more right to freely purchase and own an automatic assault weapon than you do to protect the content of your own pee?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I had to do a drug test once when I was 16 before I was allowed to coach gymnastics. The crappy part was, I have a really hard time peeing in a cup, so I handn't gone to the bathroom all day, and then the nurse said they messed up the test and I had to pee in the cup again.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The externalities of drug use are not limited to potential physical harm. An employer makes a better workplace for everyone when such baggage is reduced or eliminated.

i wonder what other things we can test for in order to ensure that we have the best workplace possible.

if it is in the employers best interets to look deeply into the lives of people to discover the potential for anything less than optimal performance, regardless of whether or not the employee demonstrates any reason for suspicion or declining performance, then it must be done so.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i wonder what other things we can test for in order to ensure that we have the best workplace possible.

if it is in the employers best interets to look deeply into the lives of people to discover the potential for anything less than optimal performance, regardless of whether or not the employee demonstrates any reason for suspicion or declining performance, then it must be done so.
Hadn't really thought of that part. Once we eliminate things that can have a significant negative impact on the workplace, then study those factors which will create the optimal workplace.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Hadn't really thought of that part. Once we eliminate things that can have a significant negative impact on the workplace, then study those factors which will create the optimal workplace.

that would be great! we should do a thorough vetting of every individuals lifestyle, habits, and choices -- let's examine what's in their fridge, how much they exercise, what (if any) religion they practice (can we really expect jews and moslems in the same workplace to contribute to an optimal atmosphere), how they get on with their family members, whether or not they smoke, their high school transcript and SAT scores, what kinds of movies and television they watch (want to make sure they aren't watching anything too existential or depressing, don't want them wondering about the futility of corporate life or anything), what kinds of books they read (only those that will stimulate positive attitudes), how many parking tickets they've gotten, traffic violations, anything that happened before they turned 18 ... the possibilities are endess!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

My head is spinning. Let's just stick to keeping the drug users out.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Yet another reason I'm very happy to be working for myself.

(but my boss can be a real bitch sometimes... )
Old 02-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I don't like drug testing either. The first time I did it for a prospective employer it was a humiliating experience....couldn't pee in the cup and there was saranwrap on the sink and toilet, but the worst was this guard lady with a clipboard and stopwatch stood in the open doorway WATCHING me! Made me feel like a criminal. I turned down the job anyway.