Fired For Recreational Drug Use - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

An employee has very limited privacy when at work (essentially, the bathroom), but not much more.
So it's OK to give up your right to privacy at home in order to gain the priveledge to work and earn a living?

Old 02-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
So it's OK to give up your right to privacy at home in order to gain the priveledge to work and earn a living?
You lose no privacy at home. When one brings the lingering effect of drugs into the work place, there is no right of privacy.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:

You lose no privacy at home. When one brings the lingering effect of drugs into the work place, there is no right of privacy.

what are the lingering effects? a small amount of THC in one's urine? if it doesn't affect workplace function, haven't we violated one's right to privacy?

how about this as an example: say at home i have a laptop, and at home i go to websites that i would never go to at work. one day, i bring my laptop into work because my computer is broken, i log onto the internet through the company, and then my internet history is revealed. all of the sites i have visited have been on my computer, on my own time, yet, because the employer was able to view my internet history, might i be in danger of being fired if the employer were to so choose?

this seems like what's going on in regards to drug use. it might have nothing to do with my performance, but if you catch me doing something illegal in my off hours -- like THC in my urine, or a list of NSFW websites -- then you are under legal grounds to fire me?

that strikes me as an invasion of privacy. what business is it of yours, the employer, what i do on my own time if it doesn't affect my performance? there seems to be a false assumption afoot.

(this is all very interesting, though)
Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #34
Refugee

Quote:

If what we want is to rid our workplaces of unproductive employees who don't meet work performance standards, great, let's do that. And let's measure that using work performance standards.

If what we want is to stop people from using illegal drugs, great, let's do that. And let's let criminal laws and not labour laws do the punishing.

If what we want is for people to stop smoking, great, let's do that. And let's keep pushing for public bans until people decide between smoking at home and not smoking.

If what we want is to let personal freedom and dignity be pissed on by corporate control and greed, great, pass the piss pot.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Quote:
If what we want is to let personal freedom and dignity be pissed on by corporate control and greed, great, pass the piss pot.
Great post, AliEnvy.

But seriously guys, I don't see what the big deal about privacy is. We're all good, straight upstanding Christian citizens around here so we have nothing to worry about, right?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Calluna

But seriously guys, I don't see what the big deal about privacy is. We're all good, straight upstanding Christian citizens around here so we have nothing to worry about, right?

Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:48 PM
im goutraged, guys. very much so.

frankly, it's a battle. the employer may be concerned with extracting productivity at all costs - that's his concern. your/our concern should be keeping what we enjoy in our lives - not agreeing with him!

I think, as with so many things of this sort, we're talking large companies here mainly. Such organisations are under the delusion that they constitute their own private nation.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:48 AM
I never cease to be amazed at the readiness of a proportion of the population to give up their liberty to the nanny state.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:48 PM
It isn't the nanny state though, it is the corporation.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
It isn't the nanny state though, it is the corporation.

Taking their lead from the nanny state, I would suspect.

I don't know about the States but in Britain organisations which have implemented a policy like this are almost aways public sector.

In any case I view it as an encroachment on liberty pure and simple.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Calluna
What has religion go to do with this?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

If what we want is to rid our workplaces of unproductive employees who don't meet work performance standards, great, let's do that. And let's measure that using work performance standards.

If what we want is to stop people from using illegal drugs, great, let's do that. And let's let criminal laws and not labour laws do the punishing.

If what we want is for people to stop smoking, great, let's do that. And let's keep pushing for public bans until people decide between smoking at home and not smoking.

A tad dramatic. This is not about corporate greed. This is about healthy work environments. If there are strong correlations between workplace harassment, injuries, accidents, etc. and drug use, it would seem reasonable to allow employers to screen for drug use.

And calling illegal activity "personal freedom and dignity" is a stretch.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
If there are strong correlations between workplace harassment, injuries, accidents, etc. and drug use, it would seem reasonable to allow employers to screen for drug use.
A tad dramatic. The article posted refers to nicotine use, not heroin use.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:

This is about healthy work environments. If there are strong correlations between workplace harassment, injuries, accidents, etc. and drug use, it would seem reasonable to allow employers to screen for drug use.
If it's about healthy work environments and you have one set of laws allowing urine testing and another set of laws that say you can fire employees for off-duty activity, the potential for discrimination of basic human rights is rather unlimited.

Quote:

And calling illegal activity "personal freedom and dignity" is a stretch.
Alcohol and cigarettes are not illegal. Tylenol 3s with codeine are not illegal. Allergy meds are not illegal. Blood pressure meds are not illegal. HIV meds are not illegal. Being pregnant is not illegal. Being genetically predisposed to heart disease is not illegal.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If it's about healthy work environments and you have one set of laws allowing urine testing and another set of laws that say you can fire employees for off-duty activity, the potential for discrimination of basic human rights is rather unlimited.
You create a false dilema here. Drug use does not remain a completely off-duty activity. Affects of drug use are brought into the workplace.

The arguments you raise have been considered and rejected by courts at all levels. Drug testing policies are established as a reasonable intrusion for the greater good - especially when they deal with illegal substances.

Quote:
Alcohol and cigarettes are not illegal. Tylenol 3s with codeine are not illegal. Allergy meds are not illegal. Blood pressure meds are not illegal. HIV meds are not illegal. Being pregnant is not illegal. Being genetically predisposed to heart disease is not illegal.
Talk to the FDA. All the drugs you mentioned are already tiered - some deemed acceptable for consumer purchase, others requiring perscription, others illegal.