Finally a reason to vote!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:01 PM
I consider it a half-assed gesture. A better move would be to kill our primary system and create a national runoff election, where if one candidate doesn't get 50%+ of the vote, then the top two candidates--regardless of party (and, indeed, the "top two" could potentially be two of the same party)--would run in the final national election.

I blame primaries for giving us lackluster candidates, where only rabid partisans duke it out to choose the candidate--or, if there's no contest, flood their opponent's primary to choose a weak candidate. Or, in the case of presidential primaries, Iowa and New Hampshire get the de-facto ability to decide the election. Merely adding Nevada and South Carolina doesn't change the fact that four states get to essentially decide the primary election for all fifty.

Merely changing the Electoral College doesn't change the underlying stupidity of our electoral system.

Melon

Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

All these electorate college decisions and various state re-districting shams should be handled by an independent third party like it is in Canada. Then the process is not politicized and you don't get ridiculous, gerrymandered, completely incontiguous districts.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
All these electorate college decisions and various state re-districting shams should be handled by an independent third party like it is in Canada. Then the process is not politicized and you don't get ridiculous, gerrymandered, completely incontiguous districts.
Well, but like our judiciary, it would end up getting stacked with appointed partisan hacks with complete contempt for the system.

I'm not sure anything can really be "independent" when it comes to politics, I guess.

Melon
Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I consider it a half-assed gesture. A better move would be to kill our primary system and create a national runoff election, where if one candidate doesn't get 50%+ of the vote, then the top two candidates--regardless of party (and, indeed, the "top two" could potentially be two of the same party)--would run in the final national election.

Melon
There is the "weighted vote" system

it is probably the best

where people vote for their 1st, and 2nd choices.

if one does not get 50+ 1 %

than the candidate ballots with the least votes are tallied with the second chioce added to see if one can get the 50+1%
Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Well, but like our judiciary, it would end up getting stacked with appointed partisan hacks with complete contempt for the system.

I'm not sure anything can really be "independent" when it comes to politics, I guess.
Maybe not, because as you said, there is still a need to appoint the Chief Officer and so on.

But we just don't hear stories of complaints here like down south. And if you take a look at our riding maps, they are completely sensical, cut the cities into ridings that are contiguous and based on population sizes, not on past voting records. However, it should be said that because we don't have the primary system set up, hardly anyone here is actually a member of a political party so gerrymandering based on affiliation would be difficult.