Filegate, Travelgate, 9/11 Gate, Clinton/Kerry Advisor in trouble - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Filegate, Travelgate, 9/11 Gate, Clinton/Kerry Advisor in trouble

Unreal.....just unreal.

Sandy Berger, former Clinton advisor and current Kerry advisor, allegedly removed sensative material from the archives in his preparation for the 9/11 commission. These classified forms are still missing and the FBI is searching his home.

Wonderful...I feel better knowing that this guy is on the Kerry team.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...be_2&printer=1

[Q]Government and congressional officials familiar with the investigation, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because the probe involves classified materials, said the investigation remains active and that no decision has been made on whether Berger should face criminal charges.

The officials said the missing documents were highly classified, and included critical assessments about the Clinton administration's handling of the millennium terror threats as well as identification of America's terror vulnerabilities at airports to sea ports. [/Q]

He claims he threw them away.....

Old 07-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Yeah, this is great news. I'd bet it's news to Kerry, too.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:54 AM
I find it hard to believe that any documentation in the archives is not backed up/copied. That sounds as silly to me as the thought of the Edge having the only copy of U2's new album stolen.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I heard on the radio he made five trips in, and that he removed things five different time.

Why would he do this?
What was in the documents?

I am sorry, but it stinks to high heaven. Maybe I am overreacting, but, something is rotten about this.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Refugee

If these documents were so important, why was he allowed to just walk in and take them? Why weren't copies kept of what he was borrowing to do his report?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

No, this is not kosher. This is *not* cool. I want to know why he was allowed to just pick up the things myself. That is very strange.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:54 AM
I heard today on the radio that the documents in question were memos that several people have access to, so I'm a little confused to what the hell is going on.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

he stepped down as kerry's advisor.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rity_berger_dc
Old 07-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I just heard on the news that he was stuffing things in his SOCKS? Anyone else heard this?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:54 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I heard on the radio he made five trips in, and that he removed things five different time.

Why would he do this?
What was in the documents?

I am sorry, but it stinks to high heaven. Maybe I am overreacting, but, something is rotten about this.
Yeah, it is rotten. The whole thing happened earlier this year - but is hits the press now?

Quote:
The FBI (news - web sites), executing a warrant, searched Berger's office and home safe earlier this year.

Lanny Breuer, Berger's attorney, said he was told the government was appreciative of Berger's cooperation in the probe. "And then today, a couple of days before the 9/11 commission report comes out, the whole thing gets leaked," he said.

Quote:
Kerry spokesman Phil Singer said Republican were "playing politics with a criminal investigation" and also questioned the leak of the investigation and the Republican attacks.

"This appears to be a partisan attempt to divert attention away from the 9/11 commission report," Singer said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rity_berger_dc

I have an issue with this story being "leaked" if it is such a big deal and known about earlier.

Also, as BonoVoxSupastar pointed out, if others had access to these how do we know for sure that Sandy Berger didn't return them? Sandy Berger is being sited as being cooperative by the government.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:56 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

What on earth could cause someone, with this mans years of experience in Washington, handling national security issues, to do something like this?

Want to bet he lied before congress or the commission about something? What in the world could cause him to stuff his pants and socks with things?

WAS THERE SOMETHING THAT THEY MISSED ABOUT 9/11 THAT THEY FORGOT TO PASS ON TO BUSH BEFORE THEY LEFT OFFICE?

Supposedly the papers had to do with threat assessments.

I do not believe he did it to save Clinton's ass....but he has to be covering up something.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Maybe it was the evidence that proved the Clintons killed Vince Foster???!!!

Or maybe they forced Berger to destroy evidence ... or he'd be next!!!1

The mind boggles with the endless conspiracies this could link to.

Let's see where this story is in a week before we get too carried away. The FBI hasn't even interviewed Berger about it, which says to me it's not too big of a deal. Lots of crap is being spread around (documents in his socks? Please.) and it's going to be a while before something approaching the truth comes out.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:48 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Stuffing stuff in his socks? No, I haven't heard this. Good grief.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:33 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I saw his lawyer on BBC World and he said how this has been under investigation since last October and never has there been any evidence presented about him stuffing papers in his pants or his socks, etc until it leaked to the press, which is all sorts of bizarre.

Frankly, this entire thing sounds ridiculous to me. Not sure where the truth is, probably somewhere in the middle as usual.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:39 AM   #15
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:54 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/21/po...berger.html?th

Quote:
Samuel R. Berger, the former national security adviser to President Bill Clinton, resigned abruptly Tuesday as a senior adviser to John Kerry's presidential campaign after the disclosure that he had improperly removed classified material on terrorism from a secure government reading room last year.

"With that in mind, he has decided to step aside as an informal adviser to the Kerry campaign until this matter is resolved," said Lanny A. Breuer, a lawyer representing Mr. Berger in the investigation.

Mr. Berger's aides acknowledged that when he was preparing last year for testimony before the Sept. 11 commission, he removed from a secure reading room copies of a handful of classified documents related to a failed 1999 terrorist plot to bomb the Los Angeles airport. Republicans accused him on Tuesday of stashing the material in his clothing, but Mr. Breuer called that accusation "ridiculous" and politically inspired. He said the documents' removal was accidental.

Mr. Breuer, the lawyer, said Mr. Berger inadvertently put three or four versions of the report on the plots in a leather portfolio he had with him. "He had lots of papers, and the memos got caught up in the portfolio," he said. "It was an accident."

Mr. Berger also put in his jacket and pants pockets handwritten notes that he had made during his review of the documents, Mr. Breuer said.

Officials at the National Archives realized late last year that several documents were missing and turned the matter over to the F.B.I., which later searched Mr. Berger's home and office, officials said. Mr. Breuer said that Mr. Berger had returned two of the documents, but that he had apparently discarded several others inadvertently.