fighting crystal meth - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:05 PM
my oldest and closest friend Joey was addicted for a couple of years. i don't know how she didn't lose everything. and i am so naive about drugs and drug users, i had no clue. until i saw the pipe in her bathroom once when i was visiting. i begged her to stop and even ended our friendship for a bit. she finally quit hanging out with those people and decided she wanted to clean herself up. she has been drug free for 10 years now!

and bg, i am so glad you are here to tell your story.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Doing crystal meth will lift you up until you break.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Re: fighting crystal meth

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
resource: http://www.lifeormeth.com/
Is it really true that this crap made Hitler turn crazy? Some believe he had gonorreah. I'm in the undecided field, just to clarify.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Ah- didn't see the link at the end, which answered my question.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 12:05 AM
I respectfullly disagree with you, Melon, that alcohol is harmless. How can something that causes such grief and tragedy be harmless? I know, small amounts, but if you're unlucky enough to be wired for it, that first sip is a sentence to hell.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
I respectfullly disagree with you, Melon, that alcohol is harmless. How can something that causes such grief and tragedy be harmless? I know, small amounts, but if you're unlucky enough to be wired for it, that first sip is a sentence to hell.
I think it depends on your tolerance level for it. I've had strong stuff before, and it barely got me buzzed. As for other drugs, I'm basically an abolitionist (I like that word, it's kind of persuasive). Alcohol is harmful when it is abused. When it is used in moderation, it can actually be good for you. In fact, a wine or beer every week is supposedly beneficial in preventing coronary heart disease.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:38 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
In fact, a wine or beer every week is supposedly beneficial in preventing coronary heart disease.
*Nods* My dad had heart problems a few years back, and after he got out of the hospital, the doctor suggested he drink a beer each week or so to help his heart. He personally didn't choose that route, because, although he used to drink when he was younger, he can't stand the stuff now. But yeah, his doctor did actually suggest that to him.

Anywho...people mention tobacco...while I personally find it disgusting and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, I still say it's someone else's choice if they want to have that stuff.

As for drugs along the lines of crystal meth...I have been fortunate enough to not have any friends or family get caught up in that crap, and I hope that people out there who do do this stuff wise up and get out of that, 'cause I can't imagine why anyone would want to get messed up with that stuff in the first place. That's really scary that this is responsible for this new HIV stuff...just what we need, another way for people to get this disease.

If a friend or family member ever did, for some reason, decide to get caught up in that stuff, though, I'd help them the best I could, if they really wanted my help and support and everything.

Angela
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
*Nods* My dad had heart problems a few years back, and after he got out of the hospital, the doctor suggested he drink a beer each week or so to help his heart. He personally didn't choose that route, because, although he used to drink when he was younger, he can't stand the stuff now. But yeah, his doctor did actually suggest that to him.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I think it depends on your tolerance level for it. I've had strong stuff before, and it barely got me buzzed. As for other drugs, I'm basically an abolitionist (I like that word, it's kind of persuasive). Alcohol is harmful when it is abused. When it is used in moderation, it can actually be good for you. In fact, a wine or beer every week is supposedly beneficial in preventing coronary heart disease.

i think what najeena was talking about here was a predisposition for alcoholism. if you come from a line of alcoholics, you are have a greater chance of being triggered merely by one drink.

it is the same thing as a drug addict deciding to become an occassional user merely because they think they can handle it.

it only takes once to trigger something in your brain which can lead to addiction.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Thanks, Doozer, that was exactly what I was talking about. Both my parents were alcoholics, as am I. It didn't kill me, but it came damn close. My first drink doomed me to follow in their footsteps, even though I had seen what it did to them. How many alcholics are there? How many of them have chilren?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

While I find it a little hard to believe that the first sip is dooming, I will take your word for it. Best wishes in your recovery.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

My ex is an alcoholic that will have 20 years sober in March. She also studied and became a drug and alcohol counselor and worked at several recovery houses. That is where I learned about the disease of alcoholism.

I used to believe it was a choice. My oldest brother died of cirrhosis so it is in my family. And although I drink very rarely, it is always in the back of my mind, "is this the one?".
Old 02-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:05 PM
It's in my family too, so that's the main reason I stay away from alcohol. Drugs too, never have.

I have smoked cigarettes occasionally but never became addicted to it, I do feel however I have the predisposition to become addicted to something. Maybe all humans do, it's just a matter of degree.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:05 PM
I read somewhere that if there is alcoholism in your family you have a 50-50 chance of also being an alcoholic. Is that right, Doozer? I've certainly seen this in families, where a parent is an alcoholic and one of the kids is but not the other kid.

Also, you can't become an alcoholic by simply drinking too much and abusing alcohol unless you're already an alcoholic--meaning you have the genetic predisposition. As I understand it, some people may have never had a drink in their life but are still alcoholics and don't know it because it's never been triggered.

I am fortunate not to have that genetic predisposition. It's not on either side of my family as far back as anyone can trace. I did so many drugs and drank so much in college but I never got addicted to anything. When I was done with it, I was done.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #30
BAW
The Flower

I was given the double whammy of an alcoholic/drug addicted father and a drug addicted mother. My paternal Grandmother was also an alcoholic. I have to be so careful. Most of my life, I've just replaced one addiction with another. Drugs, alcohol, food, the internet. Sometimes I'm surprised I'm a functioning person at all.