Ficus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the plant.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
Bush/Ficus, what's the difference?

LMAO!
biggrin.gif

(BTW - first I've heard of this, Rono and I am from the US - maybe someone was pulling your leg?)

------------------
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

There was something about voting a ficus into congres
today on dutch television. It started in new jersey and
spread around the USA. It was a sort of protest .
Can someone tell me more ? Who did vote on ficus ?

------------------
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Seriously, I found the following on CNN.com:

Frustrated by the lack of competition, filmmaker Michael Moore launched a drive earlier this year to get voters to write in a potted plant -- specifically, a ficus -- in more than 20 congressional races where candidates were unopposed.

"In a country where the majority no longer vote, writing in ficus will give the disenfranchised voter a chance to cast a vote for 'none of the above,"' Moore said on his Ficus 2000 campaign Web site.

See also:
http://mycommunity.journalnow.com/servlet/wsj_ProcServ/DBPAGE=page&GID=00037000000961868299700115

They apparently used to have a web site at www.ficus2000.com, but it's gone now.

Thank you .

------------------
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 07-14-2001).]

I don't think they made any mention of that in the article, Rono, but I'll take your word for it.

hey Rono, Michael Moore is a Canadian film maker, with a series called "The Awful Truth". I've only seen a couple of episodes, but he's brilliant. using humour he exposes some very disturbing things that are being allowed to continue on in this world. he usually tackles government and big business. In the episode I saw he was championing the cause of the neglected Gulf War veterans. he had organised a fun-run for them to raise money for themselves as so many are very ill and poor. He took them to the Dept of Veteran affairs to seek sponsorship for the fun-run. They turned their back on them and he was saying as they were hussled at the door "if money is an issue, don't worry, they won't be able to run very far, it won't cost you much" I also saw him cooking fish from the Hudson River outside the offices of General Electric assuring people it must be safe to eat 'cause it so full of chemicals. He is a man of humour covering some very serious issues. He must be successful as all the big companies have his picture at the front desk and if he arrives they are trained to immediately call security.

Big rave there rono, but I so clearly remember that "fun-run" it would be funny if the truth wasn't so awful.And yes he did almost get a ficus tree elected to government
smile.gif

PS another one I thought of... he took a group of people who spoke through those things in their voice box which they had lost due to the effects of tobacco, to the foyer of Phillip Morris(or one of the big baccy companies) and sang Christmas carols.

grrrrr@Murphy's Law......I have access to the computer lab today and something seems to be interfering with Interference.com
;(
Some people may find Michael Moore's approach very offensive, but I think he has good intentions and does what he thinks is right

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 07-18-2001).]

Sounds like you're speaking from experience, Martha. Maybe you should be a ficus manager.

sewer line out ? Has that something to whit sewn-up ?

Anyway, i think it is imporaint to have filmmakers like
Moore. Just to wake up people from their ignorance.

------------------
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

You never know how far jokes that like that can go. A few years a go, a comedian was voted into the Danish parliament on a manifesto of free beer for everybody and the wind in your back on bike paths (roughly translates into people being sick and tired of politicians). He was as shocked as anybody but rose to the occasion, and actually spent his 4 years in parliament in a conscientious manner.

[This message has been edited by Klodomir (edited 07-22-2001).]

Not sure about the ethics of Moorre's style of presentation but....it's just been 2 weeks school holiday here and the word "ficus" got me out of a tight spot playing Scrabble with my youngest
biggrin.gif
..and "frogs"
"..you were always on my mind, you were always on my mind..." why thank ya very much.

Back
Top Bottom