Fiat justitia ruat coelum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Scumbag gets 8 years - as he should.
A US army reservist who pleaded guilty to five charges of abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib jail near Baghdad has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Sgt Ivan Frederick admitted conspiracy, dereliction of duty, maltreatment, assault and committing an indecent act.

The judge ordered a reduction in rank to private, a forfeiture of pay and a dishonourable discharge from the army.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3759696.stm

I think this sends the right message about maltreatment of foreign prisoners--to Americans, to persons in the military, and to foreigners. It's exactly what was needed.

This guy was scape-goated.

The responsibility goes much higher.

This was/ is not an isolated incident.

Most of the world knows it.

Americans can bury there heads in the sand.

and blame the pictures for "Stolen Honor".

deep said:
This guy was scape-goated.

The responsibility goes much higher.

This was/ is not an isolated incident.

Most of the world knows it.

Americans can bury there heads in the sand.

and blame the pictures for "Stolen Honor".

Before you claim abuse by others or that this was not an isolated incident, you should provide proof.

So if there were no pictures

There would be no proof.

and you would give this same answer to the abused Iraqis

deep said:
So if there were no pictures

There would be no proof.

and you would give this same answer to the abused Iraqis

What would you say to American troops who are on the ground in Iraq fighting for this country? How would you like them to be treated? Is it fair to accuse them of things with no evidence?

STING2 said:

1. What would you say to American troops who are on the ground in Iraq fighting for this country?

2. How would you like them to be treated?

3. Is it fair to accuse them of things with no evidence?

1. Thank you for your service. May you return home safely to your loved ones.
On behalf of the President I apoligize to you for putting you in this situation. I especially apologize to those of you that have been back-door drafted at the stoke of a pen, with questionable stop-loss order.

2. With respect and appreciation.

3. It is only the atrocities that we concern ourselves with. The environment that higher-ups supported that led to these crimes.

The Military Times recently conducted a poll of over 4,000 troops and asked who they would vote for President if the election were held today.

Bush 72%
Kerry 17%
Undecided 6%
Declined Answer 2%
Nader 1%
Other 1%

Most troops support the President as well as the mission in Iraq and detest idea's that their hard work and sacrifices are a mistake.

I'll ask one question that you did not answer again:

Is it fair to accuse soldiers of things including atrocities with no evidence?

paxetaurora said:
What about all those photos and videos? Do they not count as evidence?

They are not evidence that abuse is widespread or that most soldiers are committing these crimes. Deep, claimed that the incident was not an isolated one. I simply said that if its not an isolated incident, where is the proof.

Theres a big difference between isolated incident and most soldiers. There is a gray there. A gray that unfortunately is still a sad truth. Not all guilty parties will pay for this tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom