FEMA is at it again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
It is no wonder the locals in New Orleans referred to them as "Fix Everything My Ass"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Those behind the Federal Emergency Management Agency's fake news conference showed "extraordinarily poor judgment" and will be disciplined, the head of homeland security said.

Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff calls the fake briefing "one of the dumbest things ... I've ever seen."

"I think it was one of the dumbest and most inappropriate things I've ever seen since I've been in government," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said.

FEMA, part of the Department of Homeland Security, called a news conference in Washington last week on the agency's handling of the California wildfires.

The agency said no media representatives showed up because the conference was announced at the last minute. Instead, reporters called in on a listen-only phone line.

The agency released a video of the conference with FEMA employees asking less than hard-hitting questions.
Don't Miss

During the briefing, someone asks Deputy Director Harvey Johnson, "Are you happy with FEMA's response so far?"

"I'm very happy with FEMA's response so far," Johnson replied.

Johnson gave no indication at the time that staff members were asking the questions.

He later apologized, calling the fake briefing an "error in judgment."

"We are reviewing our press procedures and will make the changes necessary to ensure that all of our communications are straightforward and transparent," Johnson said in a statement.

FEMA said the questions were based on things about which reporters had contacted the agency.

"We know we did a bad job, but we're getting back on track," FEMA press secretary Aaron Walker said.

The White House also rebuked the news conference and said it was unaware of the briefing beforehand.

"It is not a practice that we would employ here at the White House," said White House press secretary Dana Perino. "We certainly don't condone it."

Meanwhile, the man who led FEMA's public relations office is set to begin work Monday as the head of public affairs for the director of national intelligence, a spokesman for the intelligence office said.

Pat Philbin, FEMA's external affairs director, received the job offer "well before" last week's briefing, according to spokesman Ross Feinstein.
advertisement

Feinstein declined to say whether the office -- led by National Intelligence Director Michael McConnell -- was reconsidering the appointment.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said Sunday that the department had known "for weeks" Philbin was leaving. Thursday was Philbin's last day, Knocke said.

source

that has got to be one of the dumbest stunts i've ever heard of. no shit it was a bad judgement call. who do they take us for?

No kidding. What on earth possessed them to do a fake briefing? Why...?

If you want to be taken seriously, FEMA, maybe it's time you start, oh, I dunno, acting serious. I've never heard that version of what FEMA stands for, but right now, I can't blame people for thinking that.

I see Dana Perino mentioned in here-based on the quotes I've heard from that lady thus far, she really doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the box. She really irks me.

Angela

I just had to laugh. They are such a sorry bunch. Can't they even find somebody who could be competently deceitful if not actually competent?

jay canseco said:
Hasn't the 'chimp' been using this tactic for years?

If you mean the Bush Administration

participating in "fake" reporters and news stories?

the answer is yes

310805jeff_gannon_cspan.jpg
gannon-er-guckert.jpg
gannonnude.jpg

350_300_armstrong_williams.jpg

FCC cites commentator Williams for payola

By Peter Kaplan
Oct 18, 2007

WASHINGTON

U.S. communications regulators cited conservative commentator Armstrong Williams on Thursday for violating a ban on "payola" in promoting the Bush administration's education plan.

After investigating for more than 2-1/2 years, the Federal Communications Commission concluded that Williams and his firm violated agency rules by promoting President George W. Bush's "No Child Left Behind" policy on television without disclosing they had been paid to do so.

The agency said it did fine two broadcasting companies, including Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc, for airing programs distributed by Williams and his company without properly disclosing to viewers who had sponsored it.

Williams was not immediately available for comment. He has denied any wrongdoing but has acknowledged that the Education Department's outside media firm paid $240,000 to promote No Child Left Behind during a television show he owned and hosted.

Back
Top Bottom