FEMA: "Americans don't live in tents". - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

New Orleans was prepared for a Category 3 Hurricane. They got more than they planned for. Simple.

This monday morning quarterbacking is out of hand. No matter what we plan for, we will experience the unexpected.

I'm sure irate emails will rectify the situation.
Bullshit,..since 1970 people were warning about the levees and the disapearing swamps ( that helps to take power of the winds and adsorb rain ) but the responsables did not fucking care and laughed it away.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Bullshit,..since 1970 people were warning about the levees and the disapearing swamps ( that helps to take power of the winds and adsorb rain ) but the responsables did not fucking car and laughed it away.
We (as a nation) have a long history of ignoring those who tell us things which although true, we would rather not hear. This is a perfect example of that mentality. Sadly I really don't expect that to change in the long run.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Re: FEMA: "Americans don't live in tents".

Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001
Ivor Van Heerden, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed

... the hurricane experts shook their heads in disgust and futility, much of it directed at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

"We told FEMA, and we told them long ago, and we told them more than once that they needed to purchase the land for tent cities with full facilities in anticipation of this," said Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the Louisiana State University Hurricane Center, where experts warned since the late 1990s that New Orleans' levies couldn't withstand the storm surge of a major hurricane.

"They told me Americans don't live in tents," van Heerden said. "I guess that sums up their attitude."

Van Heerden was also on MSNBC this evening and recounted the incident and said a woman who worked at FEMA told him that "Americans don't live in tents," and when asked what he would do if he saw her again now, replied that "I'd wring her neck."

I saw that interview as well, and have seen him speak all weak long.

Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001

Too true, Verte. The city wasn't prepared. But I find it especially frustrating that FEMA and the Federal government weren't prepared either, even though the experts like Van Heerden had been telling them for years what would happen.

And that makes my heart break even more for all those refugees.

I'm so disgusted with the U.S. government right now.

As someone said Saturday on CNN (or some coverage I was watching) 'refugees' was not a term they liked hearing, they preferred to have them referred to as 'survivors'.

And I agree with everything echo has said... indra too.
Just think if something happens where you live... will the government be able to respond?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:21 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:15 PM
[Q]It's time for the officials of our counrty, Democrats, Republicans and Independents, to face the music. [/Q]

I agree....

And I think this hurricane is symptomatic about how we operate here in the USA.

Our leadership, be it in education or public safety (Insert your own area here) does not make decisions based on what the experts tell them. Politics and other factors always creep in and bingo, we do not have the best choices in place for the job.

It starts with leadership. Everything is about doing what you can, just enough, so that you can say you did something, but your hands were tied.
'
The public does not want more taxes. Money determines what gets done, and every politician is making decisions not for the people, but on how to spend the money in just the right way to keep the appearance up of doing something. It is a fucking joke and a game. I see it in education ALL the time. I saw it in the Army all the time. I saw it in the corporate world ALL the time.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:

New Orleans was prepared for a Category 3 Hurricane. They got more than they planned for. Simple.

This monday morning quarterbacking is out of hand. No matter what we plan for, we will experience the unexpected.

I'm sure irate emails will rectify the situation.
OK, I'm way behind on my facts. I get most of my news from the Internet and we lost our cable until last night, which meant we also couldn't watch television news. I'm so shocked by the scenes I have seen of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast destruction in general. I feel like a character in a horror movie. New Orleans had a mandatory clearance and 80% of the people left and they are used to hurricanes. They couldn't help it that their city is below sea level, but there have been comments and accusations that they weren't vigilant enough with their levees. New Orleans is often called the Big Easy because it's a laid-back place where, it is sometimes alleged, they really don't do anything.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:50 AM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

We (as a nation) have a long history of ignoring those who tell us things which although true, we would rather not hear. This is a perfect example of that mentality. Sadly I really don't expect that to change in the long run.
I'd replace "as a nation" with "as a species."
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #22
Refugee

Lessons to be learned.....

Learn from the past, do not dwell on them.

Perhaps it will NOW become the time to examine/revise the entire nation's emergency response system because NOW becomes the future......
this country has been playing "The Gambler" for a long time...if only they would have listened to the words before..........

Old 09-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

This is a succinct version of what I wrote and deleted before. I agree.

See: Rain forests, Reefs, Bushfires, Whaling, Logging, pollution, earthquakes, waste disposal...and so on and so on.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

Very true. It's not just the US.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, people in general don't take advice. It's not confined to one nationality.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:

No one has argued that they should have planned less!?!

You will never have every contingency covered, and while this was always a possibility, to my knowledge, no one (Democrat or Republican, federal or state) has ever made protecting New Orleans from a Catagory 5 hurricane an issue.

No at all. I hope you join more discussions in the future.
Maybe not a Cat 5, but they did run a simulation last year:

http://news.com.com/Experts+New+Orle...3-5846233.html

and thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Unfortunately true, our leaders (and I use the term loosely) have always been reactionary. I've decided to replenish our disaster supplies because when we do have the big earthquake we are overdue for, we'll be on our own.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No one has argued that they should have planned less!?!

You will never have every contingency covered, and while this was always a possibility, to my knowledge, no one (Democrat or Republican, federal or state) has ever made protecting New Orleans from a Catagory 5 hurricane an issue.
No, they sure haven't. But the City of New Orleans really needs to fix its levees. Hindsight is 20/20, they did not know that this was going to be a Cat 5 storm before it made landfall.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #29
New Yorker

Quote:

I agree....

And I think this hurricane is symptomatic about how we operate here in the USA.

Our leadership, be it in education or public safety (Insert your own area here) does not make decisions based on what the experts tell them. Politics and other factors always creep in and bingo, we do not have the best choices in place for the job.

It starts with leadership. Everything is about doing what you can, just enough, so that you can say you did something, but your hands were tied.
'
The public does not want more taxes. Money determines what gets done, and every politician is making decisions not for the people, but on how to spend the money in just the right way to keep the appearance up of doing something. It is a fucking joke and a game. I see it in education ALL the time. I saw it in the Army all the time. I saw it in the corporate world ALL the time.
Dread -- ya know, you and I disagree politically many many many times, but I would say I've agreed with 75% of what you've said this week, this post included.

That, if anything, is really telling of just how universal this frustration with our government is. Let's hope Congress gets their ass in gear on Tuesday and takes that $231 million for Alaska to build a bridge to nowhere and give it to NO to build stronger levees. Just because it won't happen doesn't mean I should give up hope that these idiots will get their heads out of their asses.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

Dread -- ya know, you and I disagree politically many many many times, but I would say I've agreed with 75% of what you've said this week, this post included.

I'll take that 75%!!!!!