Fellow Dutchmen, pick up your guns.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rono

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Today in the dutch newspapers,....

US : Invasion in the Netherlands possible,..

The American Senaat has aproved a bill that will make it possible to invade the Netherlands. The Invasion is unavoidable when the international cort of Justice has American prisoners who are accused for warcrimes.

I do not understand this,....help me out.

Last edited:
Since I can't find any mention of it in the BBC news, I'm going to go ahead and say that those Dutch reporters have been smoking too much pot.

speedracer said:
Since I can't find any mention of it in the BBC news, I'm going to go ahead and say that those Dutch reporters have been smoking too much pot.

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

For the dutch speaking people,....you can find the story on www.nrc.nl ( a very good newspaper ) and it was on dutch television (2vandaag).

I haven't read the story but I'm going to take a guess and say it's about the ICJ (International Court of Justice). The US won't recognise the ICJ (mostly because US war criminals such as Henry Kissinger could be tried under it) and so presumably if a US citizen was to be tried in the ICJ (which is based in the Hague) the US could take action to prevent the trial going ahead.

But I could be wrong, it's been known before ;-)

CannibalisticArtist said:
Dutchland has weed, OMG TERRORISM!!111!!!
everybody know that buying drugs=supporting terrorism*

Heh. I'm sure they grow their own weed in Holland.

Last edited:
FizzingWhizzbees said:
I haven't read the story but I'm going to take a guess and say it's about the ICJ (International Court of Justice).
it definately is about the ICJ
and personally I feel this is really sickening

just on the subject of holland......

its really great to see you at the world cup!
fantastic!

oh damn i forgot, we knocked you out didnt we??

actually im sorry for saying that please dont take offense, its a pity theyre not at the World Cup they deserve to be and the World Cup isnt the same without them....(but they dont deserve it ahead of Ireland!)

:p

ccolhandlaura said:
just on the subject of holland......

its really great to see you at the world cup!
fantastic!

oh damn i forgot, we knocked you out didnt we??

Ouch!
That hurts! :(

For me it was especially painful to watch Cameroon - Ireland. First, I thought that the Dutch would have had more of a chance against Cameroon. Cameroon scores and then Ireland levels the score again. But who scores? Some guy with the name Holland! Ouch ouch triple-ouch!

Anyway, I'll leave it here as this thread is about something completely different then football (so these two posts should belong in Put 'Em Under Pressure).

C ya!

Marty

Hmm...since I cannot understand Dutch, I will take a *guess* and assume that the U.S. Congress has approved a bill that if the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which the U.S. does not recognize, arrests and/or puts on trial an American citizen, the President will be authorized to send a military force in retaliation without having to go through Congressional authorization. In other words, Congress has pre-authorized a police action against the Netherlands, which holds the ICJ, if necessary.

Of course, I have not heard anything in the media here either, so I cannot say this for sure.

Melon

Hello,

I've looked up the article mentioned by Rono and it says that the Senate has approved (part of) the American Servicemembers' Protection Act (ASPA). This act proposes far-reaching measures to keep American soldiers outside the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court (ICC). It wants to prohibit the US government to participate in UN-operations in countries that have ratified the ICC unless those countries explicitly state that American soldiers will not be accountable under the ICC.

Ever since the USA tried to block the ICC (and later on just refused to participate in the treaty) I've wondered why they are acting like this. To me it seems that the USA has an attitude of 'we are so morally superior that none of the actions of our soldiers will be held accountable under international law. We want to force countries our own law, but no way will we ever adher to the law ourselves.' Maybe the USA has other motives, but this is how I see it'.

And it's not that American soldiers never do anything wrong. Ask people in South-Korea, Japan and Germany where, even in the last few years, American soldiers committed crimes (rape, murder, drug dealing). Why should they have to be immune/above the law?

Wondering...

Marty

P.S. Great, so now we are in the same boat as Iraq (countries likely to be invaded by the USA). In a few more years we'll probably be also part of the Axis of Evil. At least Amnesty International didn't file a report on us otherwise we would really be the black sheep of the world.

Hello,

FYI, I just did a search on Google for "American Servicemembers' Protection Act" and it came up with more than 1,000 articles. A quick search revealed no major newspaper (I know of) with the first 100 hits (but neither did it find the Dutch newspaper I read the original article). Still, if I have time I'll check out some of these links.

C ya!

Marty

ccolhandlaura said:

actually im sorry for saying that please dont take offense, its a pity theyre not at the World Cup they deserve to be and the World Cup isnt the same without them....(but they dont deserve it ahead of Ireland!)

:p

No we do not deserve to be in the world cup, we lost to many points. It is simple, if we where good enough we should have kicked some Irish and portugees ass.

O.K. on topic : I think a invasion will never happen but it scares me that there are politicians thinking about such a idea.

read you, Rono.

even though I have nothing to add to what already has been said I would like to agree with Rono's preious post

Popmartijn said:

And it's not that American soldiers never do anything wrong. Ask people in South-Korea, Japan and Germany where, even in the last few years, American soldiers committed crimes (rape, murder, drug dealing). Why should they have to be immune/above the law?

I don't think you have to worry about the US invading Holland because you arrested one of our soldiers for dealing cocaine.

If, on the other hand, you arrested and attempted to prosecute someone like Henry Kissinger (i.e. a person who murdered or was otherwise responsible for killing people but could argue that he was acting in the interests of the US government), then you might have cause to worry.

P.S. Great, so now we are in the same boat as Iraq (countries likely to be invaded by the USA). In a few more years we'll probably be also part of the Axis of Evil. At least Amnesty International didn't file a report on us otherwise we would really be the black sheep of the world.

And don't forget about Amstel Light and mayonnaise on fries. Bleck.

speedracer said:

I don't think you have to worry about the US invading Holland because you arrested one of our soldiers for dealing cocaine.

If, on the other hand, you arrested and attempted to prosecute someone like Henry Kissinger (i.e. a person who murdered or was otherwise responsible for killing people but could argue that he was acting in the interests of the US government), then you might have cause to worry.

It is not we !!! It is about the international court. Singed by 137 counrty`s and already put into law by 64 of them. So, if a American soldier is in prison for warcrimes in the Netherlands it is in name of those 137 country`s. And then there is a superpower who wants to rule the world and give themself the right to invade a democratic country. That make me angry.

Back
Top Bottom