Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is probably going to be pretty shocking for some (it was very shocking to me), but my girlfriend and I really need the prayer and support of fellow christians.

Over the past couple of years my girlfriend and I have had some problems. Some problems with arguing and such in our relationship. She also has held some hesitation about fully trusting God because of her abusive history with her parents and her current relationship with her extremely unloving mom. This has caused alot of problems throughout her life. At 14 she tried to commit suicide but failed. She's 18 now.

This isn't what we need payer about though. It's much worse than just that. A couple nights ago my girlfriend and I were having an argument on the phone. We probably shouldn't have been arguing as it wasn't that important now that I look back on it. I wanted to resolve it so I asked her to pray with me. I think her former hesitation to place her faith in God started kicking in and she refused. By this time her and I were completely worn out from arguing and our will to fight had pretty much withered away. We had basically become weak and depressed.

After this she told me "Robbie I feel something. Something's coming." I was thinking "huh? what's she talking about?". I asked her what was wrong and she didn't say anything. I asked her to pray with me, but she kept saying "something's here". I had no clue what to think, but I was still worried for her, so asked her to say the name "Jesus". Sounds simple enough, right? She couldn't say it. I asked her to say it multiple times but all she could manage was a sigh.

By this time I was getting really scared and I started praying for her in my head. She started sobbing and moaning. I became even more suprised and frightened and started praying out loud for her. It was at this time I realized that she was being possessed by a demon. When I asked Jesus for her protection she started to growl at me and moan in a voice that wasn't her own. It was course and grovely. As I repeated prayers and scriptures it kept growling at me between her sobs. I knew she was aware of what was going on because she kept trying to repeat Jesus' name. I said "baby it will be ok". The demon replied "I'm not your baby". He said other things like "it's time to die". My girlfriend told me that the demon was causing her to have violent convulsions, clutch her legs very tightly and roll her eyes uncontrollably. She also says that he was putting images in her mind of suicide. She had to fight hard to keep the phone to her ear. This demon was obviously puting up a fight to keep her. This went on for about 5 minutes as I paced around the house, shaking kind of violently because I was so terrified that I was actually confronting a demon.

Eventually the growling and talking from the demon left her. She was sobbing but still ok. I asked her if she was hurt and she said no. We prayed together and she redevoted her life to Christ.

Now we're trying our hardest to make sure these demons don't come back to tempt her again. I believe that a demon of suicide had stayed in her body over the years waiting for the perfect moment to attack her. Why he did it when I was around is beyond me. I'm confident that her and I can fight off any demons who try to invade her (with the power of Jesus), but of course we don't want to take that chance. we've been reading the Bible and praying together daily.

But of course it helps to have other believers praying for us. We need all the help we can get. And I don't want to have to go through what was probably the most terrifying night of my life ever again. Most of all I want her body and spirit to be safe though.

PLEASE don't underestimate the power of the devil, people. He has no regard whatsoever for your life. He'll try to influence you when you're the most weak and hopeless. I don't think christians these days pay enough respect to the power of Satan and his demons. They can kill you, and worse, take you to hell with them. DO NOT underestimate them.

And please pray for us. It would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
She probably had a psychotic-like episode likely influenced by cultural constructs that includes heavy emphasis on religious imagery. That's generally why only "believers" are subject to "possessions." It's essentially a mental breakdown brought by stress. Some people manifest such psychosis by becoming "possessed." Others manifest it by personifying personality traits of an evil figure in history, such as thinking their a reincarnation of Hitler or whatever.

Essentially, it's a huge, probably subconscious cry for help, and don't be surprised if she has more "possessions" if it means she gets positive attention as a result of each episode. Prayer is one thing, but she needs help in the physical realm, so don't let belief in demons scapegoat the real problem affecting her. She needs to get out of that situation, and you need to stop arguing with her, or, at least, be more understanding and try to make her life less stressful.

Melon

I'm a christian and don't believe it was anything but a demon. She was talking in a voice she'd normaly be incapable of.

I knoe the devil would love me to believe it was a psychological episode.

shart1780 said:
I'm a christian and don't believe it was anything but a demon. She was talking in a voice she'd normaly be incapable of.

I knoe the devil would love me to believe it was a psychological episode.

Pray for her. There's nothing wrong with that. But she needs psychological help, as well, at the very least because she's in a bad situation. At least do it in spite of the episode, if not because of it.

Melon

I don't understand why anyone would believe in God but not demon possession. The Bible makes it completely clear that demons possess people. That is unless you don't believe the Bible ;)

melon said:
She probably had a psychotic-like episode likely influenced by cultural constructs that includes heavy emphasis on religious imagery. That's generally why only "believers" are subject to "possessions." It's essentially a mental breakdown brought by stress. Some people manifest such psychosis by becoming "possessed." Others manifest it by personifying personality traits of an evil figure in history, such as thinking their a reincarnation of Hitler or whatever.

Actually, melon, most Protestants believe that a Christian cannot be "possessed by the devil".

She needs professional help, as Melon said.

When people are arguing and one says pray with me, it just sounds like a control tactic.

A lot of respected theologians think demon possession is analogous or just a misunderstanding of psychological episodes.

Melon's explanation makes it pretty clear, why don't we ever hear of non-believers with demon possessions? Plus there are a few inconsistancies with the "rules" of possession according to those that take it literally.

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of her episode and I believe she needs a lot of help, I just don't think it was an actual demon per se.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

Actually, melon, most Protestants believe that a Christian cannot be "possessed by the devil".

I think that's why his believers were in quotes. An athiest who grew up athiest doesn't have the religious imagery in their background and hasn't seen the movie the excorsist will not have a "possession".

Whatever it is, it's NOT something to play around with. From one Christian to another, I'm not sure how I feel about demons, but I will say that if they DO exist, I'd feel they are pretty much immune to prayer. From a theological perspective, if you're into total depravity/The Fall, you can see that no matter how hard someone prays, it can never be 100% genuine. Take her to see someone...a priest, a shrink, whatever....just be damn sure it's someone who's dealt with issues of suicide before.

I agree with melon. I will be glad to pray for your girlfriend, but it seems to me that she has psychological problems and needs some form of therapy. I'm a Christian who gets therapy, and I need and appreciate it big time.

Sharty, I have something to tell you that might help you. I believe that if your girlfriend is a Christian, she cannot be possessed by the devil. Why do I say that? Several places in the Bible, we are told that when a person becomes a Christian, he is a "new creation". He is "born again". The sin nature is crucified and he is given a new nature; he has a new spirit. Also, the Holy Spirit moves in. The Bible tells us that Christians are basically vessels to contain the Holy Spirit of God. The Bible says that darkness and light cannot abide together. So, how could a Christian, in whom the Holy Spirit lives, also be possessed by a demon? When the Pharisees accused Christ of being possessed by a devil, he said "a house divided against itself cannot stand".

Now, maybe your girlfriend was oppressed instead of possessed. Oppression is external harrassment/pressure from demons, but the demon does not take up residence in the person
I have been oppressed by demons, most Christians have.

One thing to keep in mind while being oppressed by demons is that they have no power over a Christian. The Bible tells us that Christians already have the victory in Christ. Christians are bought and paid for by the blood of Christ. We are already winners, despite what those demons tells us sometimes. Keep that in your mind, and live like you trul believe it.

Whatever the problem is, don't try to fight this on your own. Get some help. Below is a link to a web site that can offer help. If I were you, I would contact them and ask them for info on getting Christian counseling. I ahd a friend going through depression, and tehy recommended someone for her.

http://www.lifetime.org/

Last edited:
Oh I'm not claiming she was a christian. I don't believe she was was. That's why she decided to rededicate her life to Christ after that happened.

I don't know what your email is starsgoblue! Is it in your profile or something? I can't view those because I'm not premium I think...

Hi Shart,

I'm glad I read your post. I can really relate to your situation. I was abused by my mother and moved out 3 days after I turned 18. I was dating the guy whom I am now married to and we had a similar episode like you were describing except I was oppressed. This came about a month after I moved out. I can't remember every detail, but I remember seeing black things dart out in front of me all the time. At night, I would feel things lingering and flying around my head (the room I was in was a guys room who did drugs in there and had some freaky books as well). The only way I could sleep was by singing hymns outloud.

The night this all came crashing down was when I was freaking out as usual about my family situation. Geoff thought he felt something was oppressing me so he prayed over me. We went inside and I literally couldn't see. I told Geoff and he walked me into the living room and told me to look him in the eye. I could still barely see at this point. Geoff said my eyes were yellow so he prayed over me again and I felt a weight lifted off of my chest. Something really was oppressing me.

After that I was petrified all the time that something was going to come back and get me. So Geoff and I sat and prayed and I confessed all the demonic things I had been involved with in the past (oiugi boards, horoscopes, evil books). After I confessed all of those things, I felt so much better. Satan didn't have a hold on that part of my life anymore. Maybe you could try that with your girlfriend. God works in amazing ways. I'll be praying for you.

Michelle

I understand believing in the power of prayer, but you really should take the advice and get her some help. As a comparison, you wouldn't blow your knee playing basketball and rely solely on prayer to heal it, you'd go see a physiotherapist. The prayer guides and assists you in your steps to recovery, but you have to go find out what those steps are.

Thanks briarrose, that gives me alot of hope :) I have perfect faith that she'll be ok.

I don't think there's any way to deal with demonic oppression than with the help of God. God is the only being capale of saving my girlfriend. No psychologist can do what God can do. Yes, we may end up needing to get help, but if we do it will be the help of a fellow christian who can lead her closer to God. Not make scientific deductions.

Please, if you do love your girlfriend, take her to get some professional help. By all means, pray, consult Scripture, and ask others to pray for you. But she likely could use some therapy.

Counseling is a good idea. I was counseled by my pastor for several months. He used theophostic counseling. It worked great for me. I recently went back to counseling with a Christian counselor because of my very low self esteem. Childhood affects every aspect of your life unless you deal with it properly. Coming from an abusive home isn't easy. If you are planning on getting married, I strongly recommend that she gets counseling to overcome things from the past. It's amazing just one thing that someone says or does can completely change how you look at yourself. But it doesn't have to. With God's help, I have come along way. I'm sure your girlfriend can do the same.

You are dealing with something way over your head. I've seen people break, if you will, over abuse, family, drugs and or religion.
Don't expect this can be prayed away, because it seemed as if it was a posession. It just went away for the moment because she was able to come to you and deal with it. You are going to have to find ways to help her outside of your religious beliefs. I'm not saying you have to put aside what you believe, but you are going to have to find professional help for both you and she.
You love her and will have to find ways to support her and make sure she gets help. Be prepared, because what little history you have described of what she is dealing with takes quite some time to get through. It can be done however. Keep praying and by all means necessary, get professional help...

shart1780 said:
No psychologist can do what God can do. Yes, we may end up needing to get help, but if we do it will be the help of a fellow christian who can lead her closer to God. Not make scientific deductions.

Give me an effing break. I simply cannot believe that you are dismissing (secular) psychological help so completely, simply because it is not or may not be done from a Christian perspective. To rule it out so quickly and completely is incredibly idiotic, to be quite frank. And from the sounds of it, it is not "we may end up needing to get help" but "she DOES need immediate professional help."

And with a comment like "I believe that a demon of suicide had stayed in her body over the years waiting for the perfect moment to attack her" I'm getting the feeling that you feel that all this recent arguing and this latest episode stems directly from this demon and not really from anything else (like anything you or she might be doing wrong in how you relate or treat each other).

How utterly convenient. :tsk:

Last edited:
I don't think most of you have much faith in God at all. The Bible says that God is all she needs, and so far (I'll admit it hasn't been long) her and I have been doing better than ever (despite the fact that she was just possessed by a friggin demon!!!).

By following the wisdom of men we'd be undermining God's power. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anyone needs professional help in these situations. It says to cling to God, and to God only. Yes, it would probably be helpful to ave her see a christian counselor, but NOT a psychologist.

I don't think most of you even believe in true demon possession, and I frankly don't believe you think the Bible is 100% accurate.

shart1780 said:
I don't think most of you even believe in true demon possession, and I frankly don't believe you think the Bible is 100% accurate.

No s**t, Sherlock. :whistle:

Scripture is infallible.
God is in complete control.

You have a good head on your shoulders.

shart1780 said:

Frankly that's not the issue here. The issue here is that your girlfriend needs help beyond prayer, and you don't seem to be convinced of that, which is pretty disturbing. Frankly you seem to think that prayer is enough. It isn't. You can pray all you want, but unless you are also willing to take action and make changes if necessary, prayer is absolutely useless.

And to make one more point re: "following the wisdom of men." Who's to say these men aren't using the talent and tools that God gave them to help others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom