Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help. - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

So all the time before you were baptised you never really lived?
Spiritually, I was dead in my sin. That's what the Bible says.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:43 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

How do you become a Christian? Is it when you decide you want to be baptised and recieve the Holy Ghost and make a covenant unto God? Or how is it for you? It is true when you are baptised you are washed clean of all your sins, just as a new born baby, clean and pure, a new chance, a new oppurtunity.
I realized that I was a sinner and that I could not save myself; only God could,a nd that Christ had paid the price of my own sin. I asked God to forgive my sins and he did. I decided to trust him completely and follow him. I believe that it was at that moment that I becam "born again". I was, as you said, washed clean of all my sins, just as a new born baby, clean and pure, a new chance, a new oppurtunity.

I was baptized a few years after I became I Christian. It is my belief that baptism is not necessary for salvation but is a sign of obedience and is a sign to the world that the "old me" has been crucified and that the enw me has been born.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:45 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Good night, everyonee.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:40 PM
later

I think Im done too
My thoughts arent coming out the way I want them to and its frustrating me
Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

I believe she was unsaved. A couple years ago we had prayed "the prayer" together, but I think since then she had really fallen away. It's hard for me to say for sure whether I believe a christian can be possessed or not, but I can tell you I'm pretty sure that she had fallen away from God.
bit by bit

in this thread

the demon is exposing himself
Old 06-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #126
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

bit by bit

in this thread

the demon is exposing himself
I'm not sure he'll get that...
Old 06-24-2005, 01:32 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sort of surprised, but then again not really, at the turn this thread has taken. I am a Christian. I do not believe in demonic possesion, but I most certainly believe in demonic oppression. I have seen and been a part of some things that I just cannot simply explain any other way. If I hadn't seen if with my own eyes I certainly would have my doubts. I also understand the importance of medical science, after all a disciple was a physician himself. There is most definetly differences between the two. Regardless, shart I told you that you were welcome to email me if you wanted to and you didn't have access to my email so here it is: elev8mehere@yahoo.com

I do not know the entire situation with your girlfriend and I'm not going to pretend to know...so please believe I am not judging. I think we all can agree that this person needs to talk to several people, a doctor being one of them as well as a pastor. As I said, I do not know the whole situation....
Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I'm going to share a story that my dad is particular fond of telling. I think it applies here.

During a particular rainy season in Mississippi, the river spilled it's banks and flooded a small rural town. A young man saw the water rising steadily, but did not know how to swim. He climbed up onto the roof of his house and began to pray. "God, I have followed your path as long as I can remember. I have faith that you will save me."

Soon his neighbors from across the street paddled over in a canoe, and shouted for him to come down and climb in.

"No thanks!" said the young man. "God will save me!" Shrugging, the neighbors paddled down the street and out of sight.

Still the floodwaters rose, until they were at the bottom of the roof. "God will save me," said the young man, "I have faith."

As the water began to lap at his feet, another neighbor approached in a canoe and implored the young man to climb in so they could row to safety.

"Thank you, but I have faith that God will save me! Go, get to safety!" Shrugging, the neighbor moved on.

The waters continued to rise, until the young man could no longer stay afloat. He drowned. Upon appearing in Heaven, the young man, somewhat confused, asked God "God, why did you not save me? My faith has always been strong!"

To which God replied "Did you not see the two canoes I sent you?"

-----

Don't ignore help simply because it doesn't announce itself as being from God.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:47 AM   #129
Refugee

Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Shart, if you're still reading this: A few thoughts...

I'm a Christian, so at least you know where this is coming from.

I commend your faith, but I also caution you in it as well. If your girlfriend commits suicide, are you going to blame God because he didn't save her, despite your prayers, or will you blame yourself for not praying hard enough? Trusting God includes trusting his people. I myself (not so very long ago) prayed hard and counseled a non-christian woman that I was dating. The way we met was so bizarre I thought it has to be God and that if only she became a Christian, I'd finally have found my wife. Well, it didn't work out that way, all my prayers, all of the time I spent counseling her, didn't work. She didn't become a Christian, we broke up and she is out of my life forever. The moral of the story is that God does things according to HIS will, not yours. He hears our prayers, but sometimes he helps to refine them as well. You can pray for change and trust in him, but be prepared that if this goes south, you must be like Job. I fear that you are setting yourself up for an unrealistic fall.

Job 1:21
And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Paul describes the Church as a body, and everyone in that body has a role to play. If you aren't a part of a church body, you are like a hand separated, rotting away. We need one another to see things that we can't see on our own. You must humble yourself and talk with a pastor, a strong Christian friend and tell them what is going on. They have been put in your life to strengthen you, to correct you, to love you and to care for you.

To do this alone is foolish.

Proverbs 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.

Proverbs 26:12
Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

You've heard a variety of different opinions from the people on this board, and what you have heard from every single one is to seek help.

So use wisdom, and get help, it doesn't have to be from a Psychiatrist or Psychologist but be open to the idea that it should be from someone who has a lot more experience with this type of thing than you do. Pastors and Christian Counselers are great, the same is true of Christians Psychiatrists and Christian Psychologists. It's true that there is a war going on in our spirit but sometimes are weak flesh can make it harder to resist. I'll leave you with this.

My Mom is a very strong Christian. She loves God, and it's apparent with every move she makes. God also made her weak in some pronounced areas. After having kids her brain chemicals changed. She is bi-polar. There is a physical problem with the chemicals in her brain, (not unlike having low iron in your blood, or being anemic) and so she takes Lithium (a salt) it does not give her a false sense of happiness or mask her spiritual battles. All that it does is keep her brain from skipping all over the map so that she can be lucid enough to receive grace from God and others. When my Mom is off her medication, she is unreachable. When you can't speak to a person's heart because they can't understand you (not unlike reading bible verses in English to a person who speaks Spanish), it may be time to think about psychiatrists and doctors who can use their God given talents to provide grace to your girlfriend.

God bless you, we'll be praying for you, please be humble enough to consider that you may not be allowing God to work in her life in all the ways that God can. God gave us medicine, God gave us each other, God gave us uncommon Grace in this country to get better care than in other places in the world. Do not be foolish and reject things that he has put in your path to help you.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:26 AM   #130
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Shart, please consider carefully the points that Tim (starsforu2) made. I think he's presenting his ideas to you in a very respectful and considerate manner, and I would hope that you can see that he's definitely coming from a Christian perspective.

We all just want to see you and your girlfriend be well.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:37 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

what they both said
Old 06-24-2005, 07:23 AM   #132
Neon Zebra

too often, the word "christian" is thrown around like confetti, and there are a few perfect examples of it in this thread. in fact, there are a couple of people i'd like to question, but i'm afraid that my intentions would be misconstrued.

i was brought up in a "christian" church. i have since fallen away. far away. i struggle everyday with what faith means to me. i am always questioning. i am always looking for examples. and when i see christians doing or saying things are are not so christ-like, it makes that struggle even harder.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

that was me a few years ago
I had to find my way back on my own, not have people telling me what I was supposed to believe. Since then Ive been able to ignore the hypocrital nature of humans and focus on how I'm supposed to be
Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM   #134
Neon Zebra

actually, u2bonogirl, you are one of the people i wanted to question
Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by starsforu2
Shart, if you're still reading this: A few thoughts...

I'm a Christian, so at least you know where this is coming from.

I commend your faith, but I also caution you in it as well. If your girlfriend commits suicide, are you going to blame God because he didn't save her, despite your prayers, or will you blame yourself for not praying hard enough? Trusting God includes trusting his people. I myself (not so very long ago) prayed hard and counseled a non-christian woman that I was dating. The way we met was so bizarre I thought it has to be God and that if only she became a Christian, I'd finally have found my wife. Well, it didn't work out that way, all my prayers, all of the time I spent counseling her, didn't work. She didn't become a Christian, we broke up and she is out of my life forever. The moral of the story is that God does things according to HIS will, not yours. He hears our prayers, but sometimes he helps to refine them as well. You can pray for change and trust in him, but be prepared that if this goes south, you must be like Job. I fear that you are setting yourself up for an unrealistic fall.

Job 1:21
And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Paul describes the Church as a body, and everyone in that body has a role to play. If you aren't a part of a church body, you are like a hand separated, rotting away. We need one another to see things that we can't see on our own. You must humble yourself and talk with a pastor, a strong Christian friend and tell them what is going on. They have been put in your life to strengthen you, to correct you, to love you and to care for you.

To do this alone is foolish.

Proverbs 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.

Proverbs 26:12
Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

You've heard a variety of different opinions from the people on this board, and what you have heard from every single one is to seek help.

So use wisdom, and get help, it doesn't have to be from a Psychiatrist or Psychologist but be open to the idea that it should be from someone who has a lot more experience with this type of thing than you do. Pastors and Christian Counselers are great, the same is true of Christians Psychiatrists and Christian Psychologists. It's true that there is a war going on in our spirit but sometimes are weak flesh can make it harder to resist. I'll leave you with this.

My Mom is a very strong Christian. She loves God, and it's apparent with every move she makes. God also made her weak in some pronounced areas. After having kids her brain chemicals changed. She is bi-polar. There is a physical problem with the chemicals in her brain, (not unlike having low iron in your blood, or being anemic) and so she takes Lithium (a salt) it does not give her a false sense of happiness or mask her spiritual battles. All that it does is keep her brain from skipping all over the map so that she can be lucid enough to receive grace from God and others. When my Mom is off her medication, she is unreachable. When you can't speak to a person's heart because they can't understand you (not unlike reading bible verses in English to a person who speaks Spanish), it may be time to think about psychiatrists and doctors who can use their God given talents to provide grace to your girlfriend.

God bless you, we'll be praying for you, please be humble enough to consider that you may not be allowing God to work in her life in all the ways that God can. God gave us medicine, God gave us each other, God gave us uncommon Grace in this country to get better care than in other places in the world. Do not be foolish and reject things that he has put in your path to help you.
stars, that was a very loving approach...you are to be commended.