Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #61
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:24 PM
For heaven's sake (literally!), we are talking about life and death here! Is it totally unthinkable that maybe a combination of prayer and spiritual effort, and the best experience and knowledge of medicine and psychology, is what would be best for your girlfriend?!

What if she attempts suicide? If your girlfriend swallowed a bottle of Tylenol, would you pray over her or would you call 911? Would you cut her down, or stand around for a while to see if an angel might take care of it?

God wants us to take care of each other. God has provided some among us with the skills to help us do precisely that. Don't refuse God's help, whether that comes in the form of prayer, Scripture, or other people, carefully trained in treating exactly what ails your girlfriend.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Re: I've never been able to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And why is it then only weak Christians, or those with SERIOUS emotional problems somehow become "possessed"?

Shart, if you refuse to seek professional help for this child, then get ready for a dead girlfriend. I hate to be blunt, but that's what may happen. Blame it on whomever you like, but she's in serious emotional trouble. Neither of you are prepared to handle this alone, Bible and big, bad boyfriend notwithstanding.
Martha, if you had read this entire thread, you would see that there's not a Christian in this thread that believes Christians can be possessed. Most of Christendom believes that the Holy Spirit within a Christian would not allow it.

If you're not going to pray for him, then don't. But you don't have to abuse him, especially since he didn't ask for your help to begin with.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #63
Refugee

Local Time: 06:24 PM
I cant help but post, because I sincerely disagree on alot that has been written. I dont know this girl, or if maybe she just needs proffesional help, or if she really had a bad spirit possess her(demon), I dont know that, but I do know that unclean spirits and the devil does exist. I have seen it many times, to non christians and christians. I went on a 2 year mission, and I have seen many, many times, and it is real, you feel the presence, and it is very scary. And people would ask us all the time to come in and cast out the evil spirits. Im not going to go into great detail or go into great debates over beliefs of the bible, but it doesnt matter if your christian or not, it is if you invite these evil spirits or the devil to be around you, maybe through your actions, thoguhts etc.. Just because your christian doesnt meen your saved automatically, or always clean, or cant be persuaded by the devil, if anything he works on us more. Geez theres so much i want to say, because Ive seen it, but Im just going to leave it at that, and I will pray for her!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

According to your post, she was having suicidal thoughts.

You want to treat this with prayer, and have certain Christian views which have lead you to that conclusion.

Perhaps you should remove yourself from this scenario and allow people who are not so gung-ho fundamentalist about this issue to help her. Her family, her friends, where are they? Frankly, it sounds to me that you want your way or the highway, so perhaps it's high time somebody else who is more objective about this situation and does not have such deep biases steps in and tries to get her some real help.

Maybe I really don't have faith and maybe I'm really not a Christian, because there is no way on this world I would allow somebody I loved, who was suicidal, to potentially slide down the path of utter destruction without doing everything in my power to get them the best combination of help possible. Could be I should find myself a new religion.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #65
Refugee

Shart, at the very least, get some kind of help from someone. Be it a pastor or a Christian counselor, at least get someone's help. Do not go about this alone, with just you and your girlfriend.

That being said, you two will be in my prayers.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23
Just because your christian doesnt meen your saved automatically, or always clean, or cant be persuaded by the devil, if anything he works on us more. Geez theres so much i want to say, because Ive seen it, but Im just going to leave it at that, and I will pray for her!
Actually, being a Christian does mean you're saved, and clean. The Bible says that Christians are washed clean. I agree with you that demons can and will oppress Christians. But if you're saying that demons can take residence in a Christian and possess her, I disagree strongly.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23
I cant help but post, because I sincerely disagree on alot that has been written. I dont know this girl, or if maybe she just needs proffesional help, or if she really had a bad spirit possess her(demon), I dont know that, but I do know that unclean spirits and the devil does exist. I have seen it many times, to non christians and christians. I went on a 2 year mission, and I have seen many, many times, and it is real, you feel the presence, and it is very scary. And people would ask us all the time to come in and cast out the evil spirits. Im not going to go into great detail or go into great debates over beliefs of the bible, but it doesnt matter if your christian or not, it is if you invite these evil spirits or the devil to be around you, maybe through your actions, thoguhts etc.. Just because your christian doesnt meen your saved automatically, or always clean, or cant be persuaded by the devil, if anything he works on us more. Geez theres so much i want to say, because Ive seen it, but Im just going to leave it at that, and I will pray for her!
from what Ive heard the devil is more interested in messing with people of faith anyway
In other words, I agree with you. Christians arent 'immune'
The devil is not on god's side. the opposite. they dont opperate by the same rules
Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie

First of all, she's not suicidal anymore. She was when the demon, who I think tempted her when she was 14, came out of hiding.

Second, if you don't believe in demon possession I don't see how you can help in this thread.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Second, if you don't believe in demon possession I don't see how you can help in this thread.
Well then, I guess you'll be the only one left in here.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
Shart, at the very least, get some kind of help from someone. Be it a pastor or a Christian counselor, at least get someone's help. Do not go about this alone, with just you and your girlfriend.

That being said, you two will be in my prayers.
I totally agree with this. And I would do it as soon as humanly possible.

One reason for this is that it will help determine what kind of problem you're dealing with here.

I usually don't believe in psych drugs, but if someone is a physical danger to herself or others, she may need it until the problem can be dealt with.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Re: I've never been able to figure this out.

Lets call a spade a spade. On the surface it sounds like a mental breakdown. Some believe that it's caused by a simple overload of stress, depression etc. Others may believe that it is either the possession by a demon, or the instrument by which a demon knocks someone down. Either way, she, mentally, has been broken down, by either a medical definition or a spiritual definition. And, either way, it was because of an overload of stress and depression. Some believe that makes the brain scream "TOO MUCH!!" and crash, some believe that it weakens them spiritually to the point where a demon is able to get in and do the crashing.

Either way shart, it starts with the depression. You need to not only look at what builds her back up again, but also what it is she was lacking regularly that got her there. Depression is a demon that needs continual attention, if it gets to the point she has gotten to, it's been ignored or looked over (maybe by her, maybe by others, maybe both) for some time.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Well then, I guess you'll be the only one left in here.

Good luck.
I think several of us believe in demon possession. I'm not going to say whether I think this is a case of that or not, because I don't know either one of them or the situation.

But I do believe in demon possession.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #73
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl

from what Ive heard the devil is more interested in messing with people of faith anyway
In other words, I agree with you. Christians arent 'immune'
The devil is not on god's side. the opposite. they dont opperate by the same rules
Exactly
Old 06-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: I've never been able to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Lets call a spade a spade. On the surface it sounds like a mental breakdown. Some believe that it's caused by a simple overload of stress, depression etc. Others may believe that it is either the possession by a demon, or the instrument by which a demon knocks someone down. Either way, she, mentally, has been broken down, by either a medical definition or a spiritual definition. And, either way, it was because of an overload of stress and depression. Some believe that makes the brain scream "TOO MUCH!!" and crash, some believe that it weakens them spiritually to the point where a demon is able to get in and do the crashing.

Either way shart, it starts with the depression. You need to not only look at what builds her back up again, but also what it is she was lacking regularly that got her there. Depression is a demon that needs continual attention, if it gets to the point she has gotten to, it's been ignored or looked over (maybe by her, maybe by others, maybe both) for some time.
I agree. Not only are we consentrating on keeping the demons far far away from her, but we'rre trying to build back up in her what God gave her when she turned to him, a peaceful mind and hope for the future. If the help of another christian is needed to do that then that's ok with me, but I see no point in secular psychology.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: I've never been able to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

I agree with you.