Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 08:35 PM   #46
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

...and the smart, caring cleric will encourage psychological help and many psychologists will suggest spiritual aid if the paitent is so inclined.
Yes, exactly.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

there are christian shrinks
Ive been to them

Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by briarrose
Trying to solve a potentially spiritual problem by asking for help from secular scientists is potentially dangerous given that many many of today's psychologist deny the very existence of God. How does this help?
1) "potentially spiritual" - you said it, not I. No one but GOD knows if this is entirely a spiritual issue, or anything spiritual at all. To me, it sounds like some baggage from her abusive past and suicide attempt. Since when is child abuse a spiritual problem?

2) to go to a priest/pastor who has NO experience dealing with these issues is just plain dumb, IMO. So....let's say there IS a devil demon in this kid...if I had one in me NO WAY would I just automatically trust a paster simply b/c he's a pastor. If there's one things demons don't like, it's pastors trying to mess around...seems to me like things would only get much, much worse. When it comes to theology, I'd bet my life (well...I guess I HAVE bet my life) on my pastor...but when it comes to psychology....no friggin way, buddy!

3) find one that is a Christian. There's got to be more than a few out there.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:39 PM   #49
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:53 AM
edit
Old 06-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Another word of advice from a fellow Christian: don't post here asking for help/advice if you don't actually want it or won't try what people say.
In fairness, the title specifically says "Fellow Christians". There are some posting answers who do not fit that bill, and will tell you so themselves.

Sharty, none of us know you or the girl personally; we cannot make any kind of diagnosis. The only advice I would give is general advice; talk to your pastor or a Christian whose spiritual walk you know to be very strong. If they know the girl, even better. You might even try to get her to go with you.

However, I will pray for you. Prayer is a very powerful thing.

God Bless Ya
Mike
Old 06-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #51
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, but most of the people advising him and his girlfriend to seek professional help ARE Christians. Diemen, u2bonogirl, LivLuv, myself...

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:46 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:53 AM
All that's needed to cure the problem of demon possession is the acceptance of Jesus Christ as your savior. By depending on the wisdom of men (natural wisdom such as the sciences), supernatural problems cannot be dealt with. I'm not saying the sciences haven't helped us in some ways, but this is a problem between her, God and Satan.

The Bible says that what she needs to be ok is to put on the full armor of God. This includes putting her faith in God, spending time in his word, and constantly praying to him. This is what God says is required to be protected from the dark powers of the world. God says nothing about science or medication. He promises that in God every person can find peace of mind.

You're making it sound like the the blood of Jesus wasn't enough to cover for her, that some other form of scientific advice or medicine is needed because Jesus' sacrifice wasn't enough to do the job. Don't underestimate the blood of Christ, it's the only thing that can (and will) save her.

I never asked for anyone's advice, I asked for the prayer of fellow christians. This thread was obviously directed towards christians. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone else, and act like your opinions are invalid.

And I honestly don't see the point in "christian psychology".
Old 06-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

And I will bow out now if it will prevent further bunching of shorts.

Good luck, shart's girlfriend -- you're certainly gonna need it.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Your faith in God to keep her from being demonized again is fine. I agree that no science can cure somebody of a spiritual issue

But theres obviously other things that are harrassing her within herself.
Dont you think that attacking her internal issues will help her be less vulnerable to depression later on?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

1) "potentially spiritual" - you said it, not I. No one but GOD knows if this is entirely a spiritual issue, or anything spiritual at all. To me, it sounds like some baggage from her abusive past and suicide attempt. Since when is child abuse a spiritual problem?
Actually, child abuse is a very spiritual problem, if you believe in the devil, and if you believe the Bible when it says that he is the great deceiver and tempter of mankind.

Quote:
to go to a priest/pastor who has NO experience dealing with these issues is just plain dumb, IMO. So....let's say there IS a devil demon in this kid...if I had one in me NO WAY would I just automatically trust a paster simply b/c he's a pastor. If there's one things demons don't like, it's pastors trying to mess around...seems to me like things would only get much, much worse.
That's not what the Bible says. The Bible says we are victorious over the demons in hell. Christ cast out demons and said that his followers would do "even greater things than these". Christians have the Holy Spirit within them. The Holy Spirit is greater than any man, and the wisdom of God is much greater than the wisdom of man. A good Christian who is a counselor has the power of the Holy Spirit with him/her. A nonChristian psychologist is not protected by the blood of Christ and does not have the Holy Spirit within him. If a nonChristian psychologist went up against a demon, the demon would eat him/her alive.

Quote:
When it comes to theology, I'd bet my life (well...I guess I HAVE bet my life) on my pastor...but when it comes to psychology....no friggin way, buddy!
If we're talking about spiritual warfare and demons we are talking about "theology", not "psychology".
Old 06-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
Your faith in God to keep her from being demonized again is fine. I agree that no science can cure somebody of a spiritual issue

But theres obviously other things that are harrassing her within herself.
Dont you think that attacking her internal issues will help her be less vulnerable to depression later on?
Yeah and we both plan on dealing with all the issues that she has. But again, I think these issues can all be solved by God. A christian counselor may be needed eventually, but for now we're going to try to solve her problems through God's grace. God did promise that those who place their faith in him will find peace, and I believe that with all my heart. God never said we'd need to help of anyone besides those could possibly counsel her in God's word.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #57
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
And I will bow out now if it will prevent further bunching of shorts.

Good luck, shart's girlfriend -- you're certainly gonna need it.
Aye.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:56 PM   #58
She's the One

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I've never been able to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
They can kill you, and worse, take you to hell with them.
Then are they more powerful than God?

And why is it then only weak Christians, or those with SERIOUS emotional problems somehow become "possessed"?

Shart, if you refuse to seek professional help for this child, then get ready for a dead girlfriend. I hate to be blunt, but that's what may happen. Blame it on whomever you like, but she's in serious emotional trouble. Neither of you are prepared to handle this alone, Bible and big, bad boyfriend notwithstanding.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Yeah and we both plan on dealing with all the issues that she has. But again, I think these issues can all be solved by God. A christian counselor may be needed eventually, but for now we're going to try to solve her problems through God's grace. God did promise that those who place their faith in him will find peace, and I believe that with all my heart. God never said we'd need to help of anyone besides those could possibly counsel her in God's word.
The grace of God can cover a lot. But sometimes we dont accept it and we're shites to ourselves.
God might not have said we dont need the help of any other than him, but he also commands us to love one another which means we obviously need the fellowship and care of other human beings
I would recommend talking to a pastor to help see the havoc the roots of sin in both of your lives can raise. A lot of whats probably bothering her are heart issues, and we need others to see what we cant see in ourselves.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
And I honestly don't see the point in "christian psychology".
Just so you know, if I use the term "Christian psychologist", it really means "counselor"; this person counsels people using faith, prayer, the Bible.

That being said, the study of human psychology is a good thing, but can be taken places it shouldn't.

It can help on many levels - for instance, psychologists who study the criminal mind, they help detectives capture criminals.

However, for problems that are truly of a spiritual nature, there is no substitute for faith, prayer and the Bible.