Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Yes, it would probably be helpful to ave her see a christian counselor, but NOT a psychologist.
Indeed. Everyone knows that science is the work of the Devil.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Another word of advice from a fellow Christian: don't post here asking for help/advice if you don't actually want it or won't try what people say.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #33
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:34 PM
I think it's a bit presumptous to suggest that a "true" Christian wouldn't consult a psychiatric professional. I know plenty of Christians (my own mom is a good example) who prayed and attended church while seeing clinical therapists and taking medication. There's nothing wrong with doing the two in combination, and I don't think I'm alone in saying that to do otherwise would be foolhardy, and unjust to your girlfriend.

And I am a Christian myself, and I would suggest the same to a Muslim or a Buddhist or whatever if his girlfriend was having similar trouble.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 PM   #34
Refugee

Why don't you just see a pastor and a psychologist? You know, just to cover all bases?

I'd be willing to bet that your pastor would probably suggest seeing a psychologist as well.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:13 PM   #35
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:34 AM
I can see why Christians hesitate to see psychologists. I don't think I would see one unless a pastor recommended it. It seems like most psychologists never get to the root of the problem, they just cover it with labels. I know this isn't the case for everyone though.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #36
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Psychologists cannot prescribe medication in most states (some states allow Psy.D.s to prescribe psychotropic meds, but most don't). Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in psychiatry, and are usually the ones doing the prescribing based on the recommendations of a psychologist or clinical social worker, following a physical examination.

An important distinction there.

Shart, please think about this. Very serious psychological disorders can cause what happened to your girlfriend. If you truly do love her and want the best for her, please consult a medical and psychological professional. Think of "Miracle Drug," if you will--how science and faith can work together in beautiful, beneficial, holy ways. God gave medical professionals and psychologists the wisdom and experience to help people like your girlfriend.

Let God answer your prayers through those folks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #37
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Well put, pax.

As I asked before, who is to say that these psychologists aren't simply using the gifts God gave them to help their fellow men and women? Science and faith can coexist peacefully.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by briarrose
I can see why Christians hesitate to see psychologists. I don't think I would see one unless a pastor recommended it. It seems like most psychologists never get to the root of the problem, they just cover it with medicine. I know this isn't the case for everyone though.
Psychologists cannot perscribe medication. Psychiatrists can perscribe medication because they are medical doctors who are also trained in psychology.

I can't see for the life of me why anyone would reject a treatment which could help someone they care for...perhaps even save that person's life. If you'd go to a doctor to have a broken leg set, why wouldn't you go to a doctor to treat emotional/mental illnesses?

Certainly you can pray for your girlfriend, but get her any and all treatment available. To discourage her from getting appropriate treatment is nothing short of abuse.

* edited to note that Pax's explanation of the differeces between psychologists and psychiatrists is better....
Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #39
Acrobat

I corrected my post. I forgot that psychologists can't prescribe medicine, but what I said still rings true.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

By following the wisdom of men we'd be undermining God's power. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anyone needs professional help in these situations. It says to cling to God, and to God only. Yes, it would probably be helpful to ave her see a christian counselor, but NOT a psychologist.
Well I guess you don't turn to medicine when you have a cold, or an accountant when you're in debt?

I guess all those Christians who are pschologists and medical doctors are just living lies.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just a word of advice from a christian who had to go through therapy for bouts of uncontrollable anger :
Youre not showing a lack of trust in God by allowing her to have psychological help
Do you realize that God created the world? He created science too. And emotion. And the ability for doctors to understand those things and help us out.
We shouldnt just expect God to do everything for us, we have to use the resources we have, and the brain he gave us and use them sometimes
Old 06-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

No s**t, Sherlock.

I agree with basically everyone else...you can pray for the girl, but she also needs professional help.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #43
Acrobat

Trying to solve a potentially spiritual problem by asking for help from secular scientists is potentially dangerous given that many many of today's psychologist deny the very existence of God. How does this help?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I corrected my post. I forgot that psychologists can't prescribe medicine, but what I said still rings true.
Do you really think so? Do you really think a priest or preacher is going to delve any deeper than "you have offended god somehow. Believe more and you will be fine"?

Some certainly will, but some certainly will not, just like some mental health professionals will really work to find the problem and work to solve it and others will just perscribe the latest medicine the drug rep dropped off. Good and bad in both professions, and the smart, caring cleric will encourage psychological help and many psychologists will suggest spiritual aid if the paitent is so inclined.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #45
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Trying to solve a potentially spiritual problem by asking for help from secular scientists is potentially dangerous given that many many of today's psychologist deny the very existence of God. How does this help?
I'd like to see your stats on that. I wasn't aware of a dangerous outbreak of atheism among psychologists and social workers.

Join Amnesty.