Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 AM
I agree with melon. I will be glad to pray for your girlfriend, but it seems to me that she has psychological problems and needs some form of therapy. I'm a Christian who gets therapy, and I need and appreciate it big time.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Sharty, I have something to tell you that might help you. I believe that if your girlfriend is a Christian, she cannot be possessed by the devil. Why do I say that? Several places in the Bible, we are told that when a person becomes a Christian, he is a "new creation". He is "born again". The sin nature is crucified and he is given a new nature; he has a new spirit. Also, the Holy Spirit moves in. The Bible tells us that Christians are basically vessels to contain the Holy Spirit of God. The Bible says that darkness and light cannot abide together. So, how could a Christian, in whom the Holy Spirit lives, also be possessed by a demon? When the Pharisees accused Christ of being possessed by a devil, he said "a house divided against itself cannot stand".

Now, maybe your girlfriend was oppressed instead of possessed. Oppression is external harrassment/pressure from demons, but the demon does not take up residence in the person
I have been oppressed by demons, most Christians have.

One thing to keep in mind while being oppressed by demons is that they have no power over a Christian. The Bible tells us that Christians already have the victory in Christ. Christians are bought and paid for by the blood of Christ. We are already winners, despite what those demons tells us sometimes. Keep that in your mind, and live like you trul believe it.

Whatever the problem is, don't try to fight this on your own. Get some help. Below is a link to a web site that can offer help. If I were you, I would contact them and ask them for info on getting Christian counseling. I ahd a friend going through depression, and tehy recommended someone for her.

http://www.lifetime.org/

Old 06-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh I'm not claiming she was a christian. I don't believe she was was. That's why she decided to rededicate her life to Christ after that happened.

I don't know what your email is starsgoblue! Is it in your profile or something? I can't view those because I'm not premium I think...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
Acrobat

Hi Shart,

I'm glad I read your post. I can really relate to your situation. I was abused by my mother and moved out 3 days after I turned 18. I was dating the guy whom I am now married to and we had a similar episode like you were describing except I was oppressed. This came about a month after I moved out. I can't remember every detail, but I remember seeing black things dart out in front of me all the time. At night, I would feel things lingering and flying around my head (the room I was in was a guys room who did drugs in there and had some freaky books as well). The only way I could sleep was by singing hymns outloud.

The night this all came crashing down was when I was freaking out as usual about my family situation. Geoff thought he felt something was oppressing me so he prayed over me. We went inside and I literally couldn't see. I told Geoff and he walked me into the living room and told me to look him in the eye. I could still barely see at this point. Geoff said my eyes were yellow so he prayed over me again and I felt a weight lifted off of my chest. Something really was oppressing me.

After that I was petrified all the time that something was going to come back and get me. So Geoff and I sat and prayed and I confessed all the demonic things I had been involved with in the past (oiugi boards, horoscopes, evil books). After I confessed all of those things, I felt so much better. Satan didn't have a hold on that part of my life anymore. Maybe you could try that with your girlfriend. God works in amazing ways. I'll be praying for you.

Michelle
Old 06-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:34 AM
I understand believing in the power of prayer, but you really should take the advice and get her some help. As a comparison, you wouldn't blow your knee playing basketball and rely solely on prayer to heal it, you'd go see a physiotherapist. The prayer guides and assists you in your steps to recovery, but you have to go find out what those steps are.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks briarrose, that gives me alot of hope I have perfect faith that she'll be ok.

I don't think there's any way to deal with demonic oppression than with the help of God. God is the only being capale of saving my girlfriend. No psychologist can do what God can do. Yes, we may end up needing to get help, but if we do it will be the help of a fellow christian who can lead her closer to God. Not make scientific deductions.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #22
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Please, if you do love your girlfriend, take her to get some professional help. By all means, pray, consult Scripture, and ask others to pray for you. But she likely could use some therapy.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
Acrobat

Counseling is a good idea. I was counseled by my pastor for several months. He used theophostic counseling. It worked great for me. I recently went back to counseling with a Christian counselor because of my very low self esteem. Childhood affects every aspect of your life unless you deal with it properly. Coming from an abusive home isn't easy. If you are planning on getting married, I strongly recommend that she gets counseling to overcome things from the past. It's amazing just one thing that someone says or does can completely change how you look at yourself. But it doesn't have to. With God's help, I have come along way. I'm sure your girlfriend can do the same.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:50 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You are dealing with something way over your head. I've seen people break, if you will, over abuse, family, drugs and or religion.
Don't expect this can be prayed away, because it seemed as if it was a posession. It just went away for the moment because she was able to come to you and deal with it. You are going to have to find ways to help her outside of your religious beliefs. I'm not saying you have to put aside what you believe, but you are going to have to find professional help for both you and she.
You love her and will have to find ways to support her and make sure she gets help. Be prepared, because what little history you have described of what she is dealing with takes quite some time to get through. It can be done however. Keep praying and by all means necessary, get professional help...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:50 PM   #25
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
No psychologist can do what God can do. Yes, we may end up needing to get help, but if we do it will be the help of a fellow christian who can lead her closer to God. Not make scientific deductions.
Give me an effing break. I simply cannot believe that you are dismissing (secular) psychological help so completely, simply because it is not or may not be done from a Christian perspective. To rule it out so quickly and completely is incredibly idiotic, to be quite frank. And from the sounds of it, it is not "we may end up needing to get help" but "she DOES need immediate professional help."

And with a comment like "I believe that a demon of suicide had stayed in her body over the years waiting for the perfect moment to attack her" I'm getting the feeling that you feel that all this recent arguing and this latest episode stems directly from this demon and not really from anything else (like anything you or she might be doing wrong in how you relate or treat each other).

How utterly convenient.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't think most of you have much faith in God at all. The Bible says that God is all she needs, and so far (I'll admit it hasn't been long) her and I have been doing better than ever (despite the fact that she was just possessed by a friggin demon!!!).

By following the wisdom of men we'd be undermining God's power. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anyone needs professional help in these situations. It says to cling to God, and to God only. Yes, it would probably be helpful to ave her see a christian counselor, but NOT a psychologist.

I don't think most of you even believe in true demon possession, and I frankly don't believe you think the Bible is 100% accurate.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:04 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't think most of you have much faith in God at all.

Oh, great, this again.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
I don't think most of you even believe in true demon possession, and I frankly don't believe you think the Bible is 100% accurate.
No s**t, Sherlock.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #29
Acrobat

Scripture is infallible.
God is in complete control.

You have a good head on your shoulders.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #30
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Frankly that's not the issue here. The issue here is that your girlfriend needs help beyond prayer, and you don't seem to be convinced of that, which is pretty disturbing. Frankly you seem to think that prayer is enough. It isn't. You can pray all you want, but unless you are also willing to take action and make changes if necessary, prayer is absolutely useless.

And to make one more point re: "following the wisdom of men." Who's to say these men aren't using the talent and tools that God gave them to help others?