feeling alone my libs, see protest photos from DC & Other Places.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
feeling alone my libs, see LOTS OF PROTEST PHOTOS from DC & Other Places.......

....that you probably didn't see much of elsewhere on TeeVee, if you weren't at one of them.
......google up - counter-inaugural

then on site, click on 'slideshow' or 'reuters'.

They have nearly 100 photos! It's real cool! :yes: :up:

and sumpthin to do while it storms outsdie- other than/in addition to drooling over your fav U2'r. :wink:

Last edited:
I've been a protester for eons, it's always great to see the pix. I have pix of protesters in my photo albums. I was in touch with the "turn your back on Bush" protesters, they were very peaceful and orderly protesters.

yeah, been a protester on & off for decades myself. :yes:

on our local news they did show the turn your back people & interviewed one. I appreciated that, since they also showed the ? anarchists breaking through the barriers. But i'll want to hear more about thier side too. But also they pepper sprayed pple who threw snowballs through the fence or barriarts. That seemed overrecation to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link nursechrissi! I signed the petition. This is not the time to give up! Yeah, I think the pepper-spraying was overreaction. I did get pissed off when I read where some people attending the inauguration got spit on. I think that's pretty uncalled for. The people who wanted to enjoy the inauguration certainly deserved to. I like to "protest nice".

Nice protesters, as long as they aren't stopping me from getting to work on time, I can live with it. However, I don't see myself getting involved in any protest any time soon. It's too cold outside (I have other reasons as well).

Why would anyone protest the democratic election and inauguration of a president? The thing that most comes to mind when you see these images is hate. Hatred of the President and those that support him.

Gee, I have no idea.

Maybe because they disagree with his policies and think his ideas are wrong?

I mean, it IS possible to disagree with someone and not hate them.

:|

I don't do this very often, but I have to back Pax on this :scratch:

(I'm not fond of protesting either, I see no point in how it's effective, and I personally see it as a form of self-destruction. However, if it means that much to you, do it. Just don't get in the way of my driving. :wink: )

If you want hatred, go here http://zombietime.com/

STING2 said:
Why would anyone protest the democratic election and inauguration of a president?
I don't know. I think there are times when protesting is appropriate, and there are times when protesting can be a little obnoxious.

paxetaurora said:
Gee, I have no idea.

Maybe because they disagree with his policies and think his ideas are wrong?

I mean, it IS possible to disagree with someone and not hate them.

:|

Of course its possible to disagree with someone and not hate them, but these protesters in the streets certainly don't realize that with their behavior.

There is plenty of time for protest, but an inauguration should be a time for unity and community, not the disrespect that gets thrown at peaceful people celebrating the election of a new president. John Kerry certainly does not agree with the President, but he did not interupt the president when he was speaking or engage in any of the other bahavior that the protesters did.

Doesn't the President and his supporters have the right to celebrate the inauguration without being harrassed or interupted?

NO, if they want a private party celebrating the inauguration then they should rent a big venue.

STING2 said:

Of course its possible to disagree with someone and not hate them, but these protesters in the streets certainly don't realize that with their behavior.

There is plenty of time for protest, but an inauguration should be a time for unity and community, not the disrespect that gets thrown at peaceful people celebrating the election of a new president. John Kerry certainly does not agree with the President, but he did not interupt the president when he was speaking or engage in any of the other bahavior that the protesters did.

Doesn't the President and his supporters have the right to celebrate the inauguration without being harrassed or interupted?

Sting if you believe in freedom and democracy you can't possible believe what you just wrote. Freedom of speech, people are practicing it as much as they can before it's taken away.

There is no unity in this country and there won't be under this president, he's the most divisive president we've had in my lifetime.

Sting, in my book there are good protesters and bad protesters. A good protester doesn't interrupt speeches, spit on people attending the inauguration, or anything like this. They express their views that are at variance with the views of the Administration, such as opposing the invasion of Iraq or perhaps opposing the proposals on gay marriage. Most of the protesters were not involved in screwing up anyone's day at the Inauguration. Sure a few crackpots spit on people, interrupted the President's speech and such, but you're going to get bad apples anytime you've got a group of people together. If we are indeed going to celebrate democracy together, we'll exercise our rights to free speech together, rather than automatically agree with the government. In a police state you're expected to show support for the government, they don't give a damn about minority rights. We kicked a king out of here because we weren't getting minority rights. Protesting is as American as apple pie.

Well, I think the President and his supporters have a right to free speach as well, a right that gets interfered with when the protesters attempt to disrupt an inauguration!

Is it American to cut someone off while their speaking or hurl profanities and slogans at people who have peacefully gathered together for an inauguration of a President?

Once again, how did John Kerry behave on this day?

I don't see why they would do this at the INAUGURATION, and I don't see why someone would do this TO INTERRUPT the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION. They could've picked a better time to protest, or perhaps more importantly, a better place. It just goes to show me how little decency they have.

Macfistowannabe said:
I don't see why they would do this at the INAUGURATION, and I don't see why someone would do this TO INTERRUPT the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION. They could've picked a better time to protest, or perhaps more importantly, a better place. It just goes to show me how little decency they have.

The when and where is very important. These people are very passionate that Bush is the wrong president for this country so why not protest at the day that symbolizes his first day of the next four years. Seems pefectly logical to me.

I may not agree with all their methods but the when and where I won't disagree with.

So you are all for INTERRUPTING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, and having your party LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS in front of THE ENTIRE COUNTRY?

Macfistowannabe said:
So you are all for INTERRUPTING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, and having your party LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS in front of THE ENTIRE COUNTRY?

These protestors don't represent MY party or any party for that matter. Most people know this.

To us fellow republicans, they certainly do. They represent the OPPOSITION of those who will DEFEND THE WORLD and RID IT OF TERRORIST THREATS. By "most people", you must be referring to the outside nations who are DOING NOTHING to stop AL QAIDA. We believe those protesters represent the sore losers who aren't supporting us.

Macfistowannabe said:
To us fellow republicans, they certainly do. They represent the OPPOSITION of those who will DEFEND THE WORLD and RID IT OF TERRORIST THREATS. By "most people", you must be referring to the outside nations who are DOING NOTHING to stop AL QAIDA. We believe those protesters represent the sore losers who aren't supporting us.

:lol: That was funny.

By the opposition I'm assuming you mean the Democratic party. I wasn't aware that the Democratic party as a whole is opposed to "defending the world". But thanks for bringing me up to date.

By most people I was speaking about Americans. I'm sorry you feel that a few protestors represent a whole half of America. I'm really sorry. The fact is many of the extreme protestors aren't Democrats but belong to smaller more liberal parties. I was under the impression that most educated people in America knew and understood that these protestors that actually make the headlines are a small minority and do not represent the left. They aren't your average peaceful protestor. But now knowing that you are the mouthpiece for the Republican party and can speak for all of them, then I stand corrected.

So you are saying that the protester that barged into the Madison Square Garden DURING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION was NOT a democrat?

Whether democrat, or insanely green liberal, they aren't supporting our efforts, and the insanity of folks like Richard Gere I quote, seem to inform us that we can cure the terrorists of whatever they are "suffering" from.

This is what he had to say shortly after 9/11, as he addressed an audience of rescue and police personnel and their families during the “Concert for New York.” The following was said over rising booing:

"In a situation like this, of course you identify with everyone who's suffering. [But we must also think about] the terrorists who are creating such horrible future lives for themselves because of the negativity of this karma. It's all of our jobs too keep our minds as expansive as possible. If you can see [the terrorists] as a relative who's dangerously sick and we have to give them medicine, and the medicine is love and compassion. There's nothing better."

After even more booing, he truly opened our eyes...

"That’s apparently unpopular right now, but that’s alright."

It's ALRIGHT, Mr. Gere, that you feel that we can treat terrorists as if they were family members? And all we have to do is show them love and compassion? I don't think I've ever heard of a sicker joke.

The opposition refers to the liberals - democrat, green party, what have we - that aren't standing up for their country, and instead, they either want us to sit back while we realize that the entire world could possibly get nuked. These aren't the everyday murderers that your trial lawyers are representing, these terrorists are a THREAT TO ALL OF US. The opposition puts political pressure on us so that we may not interfere with Iran, North Korea, Syria, Jordan, or any other suspicious nation that openly supports putting DANGEROUS WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF EXTREMISTS. Why shouldn't we stop them?

Instead, you're certain that we are "SAFE" and ignore the possibility that every non-muslim nation could go down ONE by ONE (except maybe IMPERIALIST FRANCE) and have NOTHING TO SAY besides "I guess the US was right."

Macfistowannabe said:
So you are saying that the protester that barged into the Madison Square Garden DURING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION was NOT a democrat?

Whether democrat, or insanely green liberal, they aren't supporting our efforts, and the insanity of folks like Richard Gere I quote, seem to inform us that we can cure the terrorists of whatever they are "suffering" from.

This is what he had to say shortly after 9/11, as he addressed an audience of rescue and police personnel and their families during the “Concert for New York.” The following was said over rising booing:

"In a situation like this, of course you identify with everyone who's suffering. [But we must also think about] the terrorists who are creating such horrible future lives for themselves because of the negativity of this karma. It's all of our jobs too keep our minds as expansive as possible. If you can see [the terrorists] as a relative who's dangerously sick and we have to give them medicine, and the medicine is love and compassion. There's nothing better."

After even more booing, he truly opened our eyes...

"That’s apparently unpopular right now, but that’s alright."

It's ALRIGHT, Mr. Gere, that you feel that we can treat terrorists as if they were family members? And all we have to do is show them love and compassion? I don't think I've ever heard of a sicker joke.

The opposition refers to the liberals - democrat, green party, what have we - that aren't standing up for their country, and instead, they either want us to sit back while we realize that the entire world could possibly get nuked. These aren't the everyday murderers that your trial lawyers are representing, these terrorists are a THREAT TO ALL OF US. The opposition puts political pressure on us so that we may not interfere with Iran, North Korea, Syria, Jordan, or any other suspicious nation that openly supports putting DANGEROUS WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF EXTREMISTS. Why shouldn't we stop them?

Instead, you're certain that we are "SAFE" and ignore the possibility that every non-muslim nation could go down ONE by ONE (except maybe IMPERIALIST FRANCE) and have NOTHING TO SAY besides "I guess the US was right."

Your grasp on politics is extremely frightening sometimes. Just because someone doesn't support the exact means, does not mean they don't believe in defending this country or this world. This is exactly what Bush and co want you to believe and you fell for it.

Macfistowannabe said:

The protesters who engage in these kinds of tactics are not Democrats. They are from splinter ultraleft kook parties, Trotskyists and such, and they're more into cheap publicity stunts than they are real political discourse. I don't know what these guys were doing on Election Day, but it probably wasn't voting. It's unfortunate that these are the ones who left the biggest mark as "protesters" while the more peaceful and rational demonstrators seem to have been ignored, or at least got less attention. I don't do this kind of protesting. I've been in many protests, and I've just carried signs and walked up the street. I've never disrupted a speech, a meeting, or been arrested at a demonstration. Admittedly, I once almost got busted for parading without a permit. But all I was doing was carrying a sign in a parking lot, it was a technicality. It doesn't matter what John Kerry or whoever was doing on that day. An inauguration is a very public thing, and people who oppose the Administration's policies are entitled to use it for airing their views as well. I've spent exasperating times bitching with these kooks. It's a waste of time to even try talking to these people. They certainly don't represent me.

Back
Top Bottom