feeling alone my libs, see protest photos from DC & Other Places....... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
The protesters who engage in these kinds of tactics are not Democrats. They are from splinter ultraleft kook parties, Trotskyists and such, and they're more into cheap publicity stunts than they are real political discourse. I don't know what these guys were doing on Election Day, but it probably wasn't voting. It's unfortunate that these are the ones who left the biggest mark as "protesters" while the more peaceful and rational demonstrators seem to have been ignored, or at least got less attention. I don't do this kind of protesting. I've been in many protests, and I've just carried signs and walked up the street. I've never disrupted a speech, a meeting, or been arrested at a demonstration. Admittedly, I once almost got busted for parading without a permit. But all I was doing was carrying a sign in a parking lot, it was a technicality. It doesn't matter what John Kerry or whoever was doing on that day. An inauguration is a very public thing, and people who oppose the Administration's policies are entitled to use it for airing their views as well. I've spent exasperating times bitching with these kooks. It's a waste of time to even try talking to these people. They certainly don't represent me.
I'm glad that you don't want to be represented by these monsters, but I would theorize that they influenced the election.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:32 AM
I watched the President's speech at the RNC, and I was really angry when the speech was disrupted. No, I certainly don't want these people representing me. It's misleading to associate these people with John Kerry or the Democratic Party. These people were slamming me for voting for Kerry instead of going out to start the proletarian revolution. These people really have no use for elections or democracy. They would have protested if it had been Kerry who was getting inaugurated. I'm serious. They're against Democrats as much as they are against Republicans. No, they sure as hell don't represent me.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:32 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wow, this is getting interestingly heated.

Why pretend we are a united country in all this? We're not.
We are Americans. That doesn't mean we all define what being a good American is the same way. I assume conservatives are acting out of conscience and I assume the liberals are doing the same.

For both sides, sitting idly back when you believe something very wrong is happening is unconscionable.

I doubt we will ever respect each other's viewpoints. We can
respect each other's right to dissent.

If we don't embrace dissent, what is the value in being a free country?
Old 01-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #34
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:32 PM
I was at the protest on 4th & Penn. We didn't interrupt anyones speech, throw things or stop his freaking overblown celebrations.
We did have speeches, chants, and met lots of great people, including the 75 yr old woman and her grandaughter next to me.
We did however wave signs and yell at his car as it passed.

Everyone was very well behaved and peaceful. It is my right as a citizen to let the President know I don't agree with his policies. If he doesn't want to see it he (and he tries) should have a private ceremony with only his supporters, much like his rallies. There were about 5000 at our location.

I did enjoy the free champagne my hotel gave out Thurs night though.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
If we don't embrace dissent, what is the value in being a free country?
Exactly. What's the point in fighting for freedom if we don't use it? To criticize dissent is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
I was at the protest on 4th & Penn. We didn't interrupt anyones speech, throw things or stop his freaking overblown celebrations.
We did have speeches, chants, and met lots of great people, including the 75 yr old woman and her grandaughter next to me.
We did however wave signs and yell at his car as it passed.

Everyone was very well behaved and peaceful. It is my right as a citizen to let the President know I don't agree with his policies. If he doesn't want to see it he (and he tries) should have a private ceremony with only his supporters, much like his rallies. There were about 5000 at our location.

I did enjoy the free champagne my hotel gave out Thurs night though.
There were protesters who attempted to interupt the presidents speach and I don't consider YELLING at people to be an example of "peaceful" protest.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What is this talk about the president, and how he must have a private ceremony if he doesn't want to be interrupted by protesters? Please explain, I'm very curious as to why that is your defense.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

There were protesters who attempted to interupt the presidents speach and I don't consider YELLING at people to be an example of "peaceful" protest.
Oh yeah I forgot that freedom of speech only covers wispering.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What is this talk about the president, and how he must have a private ceremony if he doesn't want to be interrupted by protesters? Please explain, I'm very curious as to why that is your defense.
Do you not believe in freedom of speech?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Do you not believe in freedom of speech?
I do, but I draw the line when people are getting spat on, when Bush dolls are being burned, and when people feel the need to interrupt a speech. That is clearly crossing the line.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I do, but I draw the line when people are getting spat on, when Bush dolls are being burned, and when people feel the need to interrupt a speech. That is clearly crossing the line.
I don't agree with the spitting or burning of dolls either, but that's not what you said.

You had a problem with people stating Bush should have had a private ceremony if he didn't want protestors. That's what I was questioning. Bush knew he would have protestors, he's not that dumb. This is one of the beauties of this country that we can protest. You can question the means all you want but don't question the protest.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I don't agree with the spitting or burning of dolls either, but that's not what you said.

You had a problem with people stating Bush should have had a private ceremony if he didn't want protestors. That's what I was questioning. Bush knew he would have protestors, he's not that dumb. This is one of the beauties of this country that we can protest. You can question the means all you want but don't question the protest.
I dislike the notion that people are doing everything in their power to belittle the president, and think it's perfectly fine to interrupt his speeches. How do you feel about those who interrupt the speeches? Optimistic?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I dislike the notion that people are doing everything in their power to belittle the president, and think it's perfectly fine to interrupt his speeches. How do you feel about those who interrupt the speeches? Optimistic?
They have that right. Personally I don't want to hear Bush speak, maybe he should listen to the left a little more.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:30 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Old 01-23-2005, 11:06 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
They have that right. Personally I don't want to hear Bush speak, maybe he should listen to the left a little more.
Or... they can watch anything else. They have that freedom. It's not like he's barging in to your living room. The left as we know it is reiterating America as to why they lost the election. They seem to have no respect for their president, and that is not going to win you elections. Maybe he shouldn't listen to the left. It seems more and more like the more he puts up with their whiny rants, the more his supporters honor him.