feeling alone my libs, see protest photos from DC & Other Places....... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Sting, in my book there are good protesters and bad protesters. A good protester doesn't interrupt speeches, spit on people attending the inauguration, or anything like this. They express their views that are at variance with the views of the Administration, such as opposing the invasion of Iraq or perhaps opposing the proposals on gay marriage. Most of the protesters were not involved in screwing up anyone's day at the Inauguration. Sure a few crackpots spit on people, interrupted the President's speech and such, but you're going to get bad apples anytime you've got a group of people together. If we are indeed going to celebrate democracy together, we'll exercise our rights to free speech together, rather than automatically agree with the government. In a police state you're expected to show support for the government, they don't give a damn about minority rights. We kicked a king out of here because we weren't getting minority rights. Protesting is as American as apple pie.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:39 AM
if people don't want us to protest in this country i'm leaving. that's what's so great about it.
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:39 AM
I wouldn't want to live anywhere people didn't protest. It wouldn't be a real democracy without protesting.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #19
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:39 AM
to Verte's posts
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Well, I think the President and his supporters have a right to free speach as well, a right that gets interfered with when the protesters attempt to disrupt an inauguration!

Is it American to cut someone off while their speaking or hurl profanities and slogans at people who have peacefully gathered together for an inauguration of a President?

Once again, how did John Kerry behave on this day?
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #21
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


Once again, how did John Kerry behave on this day?
Once again, doesn't matter.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 12:39 AM
I don't see why they would do this at the INAUGURATION, and I don't see why someone would do this TO INTERRUPT the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION. They could've picked a better time to protest, or perhaps more importantly, a better place. It just goes to show me how little decency they have.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #23
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I don't see why they would do this at the INAUGURATION, and I don't see why someone would do this TO INTERRUPT the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION. They could've picked a better time to protest, or perhaps more importantly, a better place. It just goes to show me how little decency they have.
The when and where is very important. These people are very passionate that Bush is the wrong president for this country so why not protest at the day that symbolizes his first day of the next four years. Seems pefectly logical to me.

I may not agree with all their methods but the when and where I won't disagree with.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 12:39 AM
So you are all for INTERRUPTING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, and having your party LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS in front of THE ENTIRE COUNTRY?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #25
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
So you are all for INTERRUPTING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, and having your party LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS in front of THE ENTIRE COUNTRY?
These protestors don't represent MY party or any party for that matter. Most people know this.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 12:39 AM
To us fellow republicans, they certainly do. They represent the OPPOSITION of those who will DEFEND THE WORLD and RID IT OF TERRORIST THREATS. By "most people", you must be referring to the outside nations who are DOING NOTHING to stop AL QAIDA. We believe those protesters represent the sore losers who aren't supporting us.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #27
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
To us fellow republicans, they certainly do. They represent the OPPOSITION of those who will DEFEND THE WORLD and RID IT OF TERRORIST THREATS. By "most people", you must be referring to the outside nations who are DOING NOTHING to stop AL QAIDA. We believe those protesters represent the sore losers who aren't supporting us.
That was funny.

By the opposition I'm assuming you mean the Democratic party. I wasn't aware that the Democratic party as a whole is opposed to "defending the world". But thanks for bringing me up to date.

By most people I was speaking about Americans. I'm sorry you feel that a few protestors represent a whole half of America. I'm really sorry. The fact is many of the extreme protestors aren't Democrats but belong to smaller more liberal parties. I was under the impression that most educated people in America knew and understood that these protestors that actually make the headlines are a small minority and do not represent the left. They aren't your average peaceful protestor. But now knowing that you are the mouthpiece for the Republican party and can speak for all of them, then I stand corrected.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 12:39 AM
So you are saying that the protester that barged into the Madison Square Garden DURING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION was NOT a democrat?

Whether democrat, or insanely green liberal, they aren't supporting our efforts, and the insanity of folks like Richard Gere I quote, seem to inform us that we can cure the terrorists of whatever they are "suffering" from.

This is what he had to say shortly after 9/11, as he addressed an audience of rescue and police personnel and their families during the “Concert for New York.” The following was said over rising booing:

"In a situation like this, of course you identify with everyone who's suffering. [But we must also think about] the terrorists who are creating such horrible future lives for themselves because of the negativity of this karma. It's all of our jobs too keep our minds as expansive as possible. If you can see [the terrorists] as a relative who's dangerously sick and we have to give them medicine, and the medicine is love and compassion. There's nothing better."

After even more booing, he truly opened our eyes...

"That’s apparently unpopular right now, but that’s alright."

It's ALRIGHT, Mr. Gere, that you feel that we can treat terrorists as if they were family members? And all we have to do is show them love and compassion? I don't think I've ever heard of a sicker joke.

The opposition refers to the liberals - democrat, green party, what have we - that aren't standing up for their country, and instead, they either want us to sit back while we realize that the entire world could possibly get nuked. These aren't the everyday murderers that your trial lawyers are representing, these terrorists are a THREAT TO ALL OF US. The opposition puts political pressure on us so that we may not interfere with Iran, North Korea, Syria, Jordan, or any other suspicious nation that openly supports putting DANGEROUS WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF EXTREMISTS. Why shouldn't we stop them?

Instead, you're certain that we are "SAFE" and ignore the possibility that every non-muslim nation could go down ONE by ONE (except maybe IMPERIALIST FRANCE) and have NOTHING TO SAY besides "I guess the US was right."
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 12:59 PM   #29
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
So you are saying that the protester that barged into the Madison Square Garden DURING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION was NOT a democrat?

Whether democrat, or insanely green liberal, they aren't supporting our efforts, and the insanity of folks like Richard Gere I quote, seem to inform us that we can cure the terrorists of whatever they are "suffering" from.

This is what he had to say shortly after 9/11, as he addressed an audience of rescue and police personnel and their families during the “Concert for New York.” The following was said over rising booing:

"In a situation like this, of course you identify with everyone who's suffering. [But we must also think about] the terrorists who are creating such horrible future lives for themselves because of the negativity of this karma. It's all of our jobs too keep our minds as expansive as possible. If you can see [the terrorists] as a relative who's dangerously sick and we have to give them medicine, and the medicine is love and compassion. There's nothing better."

After even more booing, he truly opened our eyes...

"That’s apparently unpopular right now, but that’s alright."

It's ALRIGHT, Mr. Gere, that you feel that we can treat terrorists as if they were family members? And all we have to do is show them love and compassion? I don't think I've ever heard of a sicker joke.

The opposition refers to the liberals - democrat, green party, what have we - that aren't standing up for their country, and instead, they either want us to sit back while we realize that the entire world could possibly get nuked. These aren't the everyday murderers that your trial lawyers are representing, these terrorists are a THREAT TO ALL OF US. The opposition puts political pressure on us so that we may not interfere with Iran, North Korea, Syria, Jordan, or any other suspicious nation that openly supports putting DANGEROUS WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF EXTREMISTS. Why shouldn't we stop them?

Instead, you're certain that we are "SAFE" and ignore the possibility that every non-muslim nation could go down ONE by ONE (except maybe IMPERIALIST FRANCE) and have NOTHING TO SAY besides "I guess the US was right."
Your grasp on politics is extremely frightening sometimes. Just because someone doesn't support the exact means, does not mean they don't believe in defending this country or this world. This is exactly what Bush and co want you to believe and you fell for it.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 01-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
So you are all for INTERRUPTING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, and having your party LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS in front of THE ENTIRE COUNTRY?
The protesters who engage in these kinds of tactics are not Democrats. They are from splinter ultraleft kook parties, Trotskyists and such, and they're more into cheap publicity stunts than they are real political discourse. I don't know what these guys were doing on Election Day, but it probably wasn't voting. It's unfortunate that these are the ones who left the biggest mark as "protesters" while the more peaceful and rational demonstrators seem to have been ignored, or at least got less attention. I don't do this kind of protesting. I've been in many protests, and I've just carried signs and walked up the street. I've never disrupted a speech, a meeting, or been arrested at a demonstration. Admittedly, I once almost got busted for parading without a permit. But all I was doing was carrying a sign in a parking lot, it was a technicality. It doesn't matter what John Kerry or whoever was doing on that day. An inauguration is a very public thing, and people who oppose the Administration's policies are entitled to use it for airing their views as well. I've spent exasperating times bitching with these kooks. It's a waste of time to even try talking to these people. They certainly don't represent me.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com